Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lariat vs XLT

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Lariat vs XLT

Here goes. My base SCREW Lariat is in the shop for the seat TSBs (cooling and stretched leather). We'll see how that goes. Also getting hood replaced at delivery realigned and some dealer inflicted paint dings fixed.

They did loan be a brand new XLT SCREW to drive during the fix. 14 miles on it when I picked it up. So, how they compare:

Base SCREW. Max Tow (3.5 eco), 36 gal tank, spray in bedliner and factory tonneau. Factory chrome boards only. Tow mirrors. Special order. Sticker: $51k. Paid $43 on A-Plan.

XLT. 302a package, chrome package, 23 gal tank, regular tow package, drop in bedliner, 3.5 eco., remote start. Sticker, $47.5k

Key creature comfort differences (in my order of preference)
1. Tow mirrors. Visibility massively better than standard
2. Telescoping steering wheel on Lariat. I'm 6' 3" tall and this allows for much better adjusting.
3. Dual zone climate control on Lariat
4. Intelligent Access (keyless entry) on Lariat. Lock and unlock features on door handles are super handy.
5. Memory seats/mirrors/pedals. Get in and it adjusts for me or my wife based upon the key fob.
6. Center console on XLT is a waste. A little more storage. Not much more than armrest and under center seat on Lariat. Can seat 6 in the Lariat. Bucket front seats are same on both.
7. Chrome boards I had put on the Lariat looks better than the whole chrome package on the XLT. Obviously an "art" opinion, but I like the stock Lariat wheels better. So, I got black tow hooks and color matched door handles. Making them Chrome wasn't worth $1k
8. Fancy instrument cluster on Lariat. A few more features and easier to read with my 47 year old eyes, but basically a wash. The XLT will tell me tranny temp where the Lariat won't.

Best non- creature feature. 36 Gal tank. Can drive the Lariat 700 miles on one tank.

As far as the Leather on the Lariat goes, I think I'd prefer to swap out the cloth from the XLT. Just looks better executed. We'll see what I think over time. First vehicle I've even owned with leather.

Anyway - hope this helps someone. As far as the TSB go, my expectations are low --- hopefully they'll be exceeded.

Last edited by chief_bs; 11-02-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Well I have the same stretched leather on my Lariat. I didn't know there was a TSB for it. Good to know. Nice comparison, but it kinda adds up because that's what the Lariat offers, creature comforts.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice comp...did they stretch or put new on?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadtogetit2015
Nice comp...did they stretch or put new on?
They are supposed to put on new seat bottoms on the buckets to replay the stretched ones...
Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Not interested in any of those things, which is why I chose the XLT. Actually the only thing I wish I had was the console.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

#2 applies to the XLT as well.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chief_bs
Here goes. My base SCREW Lariat is in the shop for the seat TSBs (cooling and stretched leather). We'll see how that goes. Also getting hood replaced at delivery realigned and some dealer inflicted paint dings fixed.

They did loan be a brand new XLT SCREW to drive during the fix. 14 miles on it when I picked it up. So, how they compare:

Base SCREW. Max Tow (3.5 eco), 36 gal tank, spray in bedliner and factory tonneau. Factory chrome boards only. Tow mirrors. Special order. Sticker: $51k. Paid $43 on A-Plan.

XLT. 302a package, chrome package, 23 gal tank, regular tow package, drop in bedliner, 3.5 eco., remote start. Sticker, $47.5k

Key creature comfort differences (in my order of preference)
1. Tow mirrors. Visibility massively better than standard
-personal preference. I have no problem with visibility on the standard mirrors.
2. Telescoping steering wheel on Lariat. I'm 6' 3" tall and this allows for much better adjusting.
-6.0' and no problem with XLT wheel. I'm not sure it doesn't telescope, are you sure?
3. Dual zone climate control on Lariat
-climate controls only do so much, its not like there's a wall between you and your passenger. I've had it in cars and i'm not really impressed with it.
4. Intelligent Access (keyless entry) on Lariat. Lock and unlock features on door handles are super handy.
-had it on a 4runner limited. I liked this feature.
5. Memory seats/mirrors/pedals. Get in and it adjusts for me or my wife based upon the key fob.
-i've had this in numerous vehicles and never used it. I never found it a hassle to adjust the seat.
6. Center console on XLT is a waste. A little more storage. Not much more than armrest and under center seat on Lariat. Can seat 6 in the Lariat. Bucket front seats are same on both.
-totally disagree, prefer the console for the storage. Didn't need 6 seats. In fact i had 2 identically equipped XLT's and chose the console over the seat.
7. Chrome boards I had put on the Lariat looks better than the whole chrome package on the XLT. Obviously an "art" opinion, but I like the stock Lariat wheels better. So, I got black tow hooks and color matched door handles. Making them Chrome wasn't worth $1k
-no argument there. its personal preference.
8. Fancy instrument cluster on Lariat. A few more features and easier to read with my 47 year old eyes, but basically a wash. The XLT will tell me tranny temp where the Lariat won't.

Best non- creature feature. 36 Gal tank. Can drive the Lariat 700 miles on one tank.
-my XLT has a 36 gal tank. its not exclusive to the lariat.

As far as the Leather on the Lariat goes, I think I'd prefer to swap out the cloth from the XLT. Just looks better executed. We'll see what I think over time. First vehicle I've even owned with leather.

Anyway - hope this helps someone. As far as the TSB go, my expectations are low --- hopefully they'll be exceeded.
Also note that i would have preferred a lariat before due to the sport wheel's i like and the leather i'm perfectly content with the XLT since it was 39k from a 50k sticker. No deals on the lariat on 4th of july so the choice wasn't difficult.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply couldn't get past the way the console was set up on the xlt otherwise I could've convinced myself to save the money and go that route.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also something to mention is 4A only available on Lariat and above. It was that and leather interior that put a XLT out of the question for me.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Love my XLT. Got everything I wanted!

Quick Reply: Lariat vs XLT