Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Keeping/Departure. Is anyone satisfied with it?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:04 AM

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Lane Keeping/Departure. Is anyone satisfied with it?

I'm a bit disappointed with the functionality of the Lane Keeping feature, and would like to hear the opinions of others with regard to this option.

I find that the system allows the truck to depart from the lane way too far before alert or correction takes place. If the system, as mine does, allows the truck to stray over the center line and into the other lane by sometimes a couple of feet, what is its usefulness? And if it allows the same couple of feet over the line on the right side of the road, the same question applies.

Other times, the system just shuts down and will not recognize the lane lines even when they are just as plainly visible as when the system does detect them. When this occurs, there is no warning that the system is offline other than the indicator in the dash turns gray, and of course no alert or correction. Again, what good is it if it cannot be trusted?

And as to the indicator in the dash cluster, could they have made it any smaller and less useful? It would have been much more functional as a driving aid to have allowed it to be placed in the center of the display rather than the small feature it is all the way at the bottom. I find that I must consciously focus on it to distinguish the colors and information that it is attempting to display, which distracts from my driving focus. Better yet, I would have preferred to have it display its information as a "heads up" display on the windshield, similar to the collision avoidance light bar.

I would be interested to hear from others about their opinions regarding this feature.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

The sensitivity is adjustable under settings, I've got mine maxed out. Increasing your settings may help. I also have the alert off, as I found it annoying.

Personally, I love it, and will try not to own another vehicle without it. It keeps me within my lane at all times. I've only seen my tires cross the outside line under a hard turn (above the suggested turn speed), and the truck assisted to bring me right back into my lane. I don't think the tire even crossed the line, it was more like riding the line, then back into my lane.

Depending on the angle of the truck vs the line, it will differ it's strength of lane assisting. Where, if you are parallel to the line, it will try it's hardest to keep you from crossing that line, but if you increase the angle of the truck to the line, say 5 degrees, the assistance will be minimal and will allow you to cross the line without much hassle.

As far as seeing the lines, I was surprised how well it picked them up, under heavy rain and dark conditions. If you are too close to the line, it will cut off on that side, until you center the vehicle better.

Last edited by srg963; 09-22-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Have you read the manual beginning on page 221? There is an entire page of reasons entitled "Why is the feature not available (line markings are gray) when I can see the lane markings on the road?"

Vehicle speed is outside the operational range of the feature
Sun is shining directly into the camera lens
Quick intentional lane change
Staying too close to the lane marking
Driving at high speeds in curves
Previous feature activation happened within the last one second
Ambiguous lane markings (mainly in construction zones)
Rapid transition from light to dark or vice versa
Sudden offset in lane markings
ABS or AdvanceTrac activation
Camera blockage due to dirt, grime, fog, frost or water on the windshield
Driving too close to the vehicle in front of you
Transitioning between no lane markings to lane markings or vice versa
Standing water on the road
Faint lane markings (partial yellow lane markings on concrete roads)
Lane width too narrow or too wide
Camera not calibrated after a windshield replacement
Driving on tight roads or on uneven roads
Vehicle accessories such as snow plows
Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine works fine and i like it. My favorite option is the advanced cruise control.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Quote: Have you read the manual beginning on page 221? There is an entire page of reasons entitled "Why is the feature not available (line markings are gray) when I can see the lane markings on the road?"

Yes, I have read the manual. I have read the entire manual a couple of times.

My system just does not exibit the accuracy or responsiveness that I think it should, and that srg963 indicates his does.

I wonder if there is a calibration adjustment that can be made on mine to allow it to better control the truck and cause it to be as responsive to the system as srg963 indicates his is. I have the alert setting on High, but I don't think that any of the user settings change the sensitivity of the system, it just changes the intensity of the alert.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine works fine and I like it. I just have the vibration turned on and not the assist. A heads-up display would've been nice, I second that.
You might take a look at your settings like SRG said because if you're crossing the line by a couple of feet and it's not going off, then something is wrong. And you might want to pay more attention if you're crossing that far over the line
Old 09-22-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Mine works fine but then again I pay attention to the road while driving so really I have no need for it.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine gets stiff as it get to the center line which is enough for me to notice, I will get about 1 ft over the center line by the time it corrects.

I assume its like that to allow drivers to move to the edge of the lane if they need to avoid something.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

^Yes, in fact, I've centered the truck on the double yellow line while passing bicyclists. Once I was clear to move back over, I removed my hands from the steering wheel, and the truck gently moved back into the correct lane. (Not suggesting anyone do this), but it was pretty cool IMO.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine is set a max sensitivity and if running close to line it sometimes shuts off. Other than that it is OK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lane Keeping/Departure. Is anyone satisfied with it?