Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Cubby?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Key Cubby?

I though I read somewhere that there is a neat litttle area to store the key?

Am I just missing it?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by wakerider017
I though I read somewhere that there is a neat litttle area to store the key?

Am I just missing it?
Page 72 of the Owners Manual

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/all-2...dering-290529/
Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Maybe I am misunderstand things, but doesn't this mean that if someone breaks in, they just need to hit the Start button and away they go?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Maybe I am misunderstand things, but doesn't this mean that if someone breaks in, they just need to hit the Start button and away they go?
The cubby is for programming it as a "MyKey" and also for if the key FOB battery is dead I believe. It would be a bad idea to leave in there as yes someone could push start and go.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Yup!
Also to consider:
* Depending on your insurance policy the vehicle might not be covered because of it.
* Some states might consider that an act of negligence and may hold the owner responsible for what happens with the vehicle afterward.

That being said, where I live it's common to see unattended/unlocked vehicles running at the corner store, lumberyard, etc., so everyone has different ideas of what's safe.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It always irritates the cr#p out of me when I hear this. Instead of blaming the criminal that steals your vehicle, lets blame the owner for making it too easy....

Originally Posted by Rich33Y
Yup!
Also to consider:
* Depending on your insurance policy the vehicle might not be covered because of it.
* Some states might consider that an act of negligence and may hold the owner responsible for what happens with the vehicle afterward.

That being said, where I live it's common to see unattended/unlocked vehicles running at the corner store, lumberyard, etc., so everyone has different ideas of what's safe.
The following 4 users liked this post by prodirtraker:
carryyourbooks (02-28-2015), LongScrew (02-28-2015), Moehoward (02-27-2015), Supercrewbear (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by prodirtraker
It always irritates the cr#p out of me when I hear this. Instead of blaming the criminal that steals your vehicle, lets blame the owner for making it too easy....
I 100% agree with you !!!!!!!

Some people live in higher theft areas than I do and I was just offering food for thought.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

You don't think it is somewhat your responsibility to protect your stuff? If you leave your keys in your car you're kinda asking for it to get taken. Not saying that is right, just what happens...

Originally Posted by prodirtraker
Old 02-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich33Y
Yup!
Also to consider:

One of my "mini careers was as the superintendent of a Juvy treatment program. Stealing cars is a specialty (sadly true as they get hurt or someone else does) of many juvies and in KY there are two laws covering stealing a vehicle-one with key present, other they hot wire,etc.-insurance covers it either way, courts treat it this or that.

Cute story-I had two boys steal a church van, and I ask him how he "did it"? replie was, "with a big plastic key thing". Turned out that the local guy (who owned a backwoods junkyard and drove the van every Sunday) had "fixed" the bad ignition switch via a Playschool/toy car style "key switch"!
Read #6 & #8 above-people get hurt in stolen cars!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I had my truck stolen once years ago. The thief broke the window to open the door ( door was not locked though ) The thief pulled ignition apart and steering column to hotwire it ( keys were in coffee cup holder in plain site ).
Two days later he was offroading in it , got stuck, and called CAA for a tow (using my card) ............ he got caught
The following users liked this post:
LongScrew (02-28-2015)

Quick Reply: Key Cubby?