Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to guide for installing running board lights?

Old 01-20-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Default How to guide for installing running board lights?

I have seen the kits from F150LEDs, etc and even searched here and have seen the after pictures, but can't find a definitive how to on installing them. The closest I got was a thread showing someone tapping power from the 3rd brake light - but after that detailed explanation of running the wire, tapping the light, the rest was just a sentence (ran that wire to the fuse box with a relay).

That last part is the part i need help with. I have a XLT 302a and would love to add some running board lights, but need a bit more help on the wiring.

Another question - why cant you just take the wiring (hot and ground) from the running board lights and tap both into the 3rd brake light - its has a hot and ground....is that a no-no?

Can anyone help?
The following users liked this post:
Chris Ruff (02-05-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's what I did.
Do the 3rd brake light thing. Run wire down passenger side rear trim plastic next to the rear seats.
Mount lights on bottom of body, start at the front and end in the back,. Mine where a bit too long so I just wrapped them around the bottom body piece.
Before you start to apply the light strip with the tape on the back of the lights. Be Sure and clean that area really good. After applying the light strip apply the RTV that came with the kit at 1 inch increments all along the light strip from front to back (Helps hold them in place)
Remove both plastic trim pieces on the door sill.
In the very back, I removed one of the wire cable clips on the wires running in the track(On both sides), and that made a perfect hole to pass the lights wire thru to the inside of the cab. After running all the wires into the cab I applied a bit of RTV to reseal the hole
Tie the red wire on the light strip (Passenger side) to the wire from the brake light you ran earlier. Then continue to run the brake light wire across the back behind the rear seat to the driver side on the truck. Remove the same wire clip on that side and pass those wire thru the hole to the inside of the cab also (Driver side) . Tie those red wires together. Now that completes the positive side of the circuit.
For the black wire (Ground), Just terminate it on the bolt that holds the rear seats up in the locked position (On both side )
Hide all of the wiring behind the matting material and enjoy the lights
No need to run to the fuse box, all done right in the back of the cab
No problems with mine and works perfectly

Last edited by FredB; 01-20-2016 at 10:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by FredB:
ja8799 (07-02-2016), nardog (01-21-2016), thais0n (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

You are the man - thanks so much!!! I did something similar when i added LED strips to the bed. I already have the bed lights from the factory, but wanted some more light. I just wanted to make sure before i started adding a bunch of lights that I wasnt doing things wrong.

Did you get your kit from F150LEDs? Were you happy with the quality? I got my bed lights from superbrightleds.com and the thing I liked was the strip was black so it concealed nicely under the rails of my tonneau cover.

Do you apply the RTV right over the top of the strip? Assuming since its clear that the lights shine right through it. Or just along the edges?

Thanks again FredB!

Originally Posted by FredB
Here's what I did.
Do the 3rd brake light thing. Run wire down passenger side rear trim plastic next to the rear seats.
Mount lights on bottom of body, start at the front and end in the back,. Mine where a bit too long so I just wrapped them around the bottom body piece.
Before you start to apply the light strip with the tape on the back of the lights. Be Sure and clean that area really good. After applying the light strip apply the RTV that came with the kit at 1 inch increments all along the light strip from front to back (Helps hold them in place)
In the very back, I removed one of the wire cable clips on the wires running in the track(On both sides), and that made a perfect hole to pass the lights wire thru to the inside of the cab. After running all the wires into the cab I applied a bit of RTV to reseal the hole
Tie the red wire on the light strip (Passenger side) to the wire from the brake light you ran earlier. Then continue to run the brake light wire across the back behind the rear seat to the driver side on the truck. Remove the same wire clip on that side and pass those wire thru the hole to the inside of the cab also (Driver side) . Tie those red wires together. Now that completes the positive side of the circuit.
For the black wire (Ground), Just terminate it on the bolt that holds the rear seats up in the locked position (On both side )
Old 01-20-2016, 11:06 AM

yES, They came from F150LEDS. I applied the RTV over the top, just put some on your finger and just smear in across making sure it contacts both sides of the truck and a good amount over the strip. Had about a 1/2 tube left over so It wont take a large amount.
Didnt hurt the light brightness at all
Yep so far so good, puts out a good bit of light. The tape part is kinda difficult to apply, have to hold it tight for a bit to get it to stick, RTV is just added security.

Last edited by FredB; 01-20-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Dumb question from newbie - do any of the models have running board lights? King Ranch or Platinum? I have a King Ranch on order and never thought about these lights. Sounds like a great feature. Any pics?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Have a question about tying into the 3 brake light. Doesn't that make your installed running board light only illuminate when the brakes are applied. Seems to me you'd want the light on all the time for ascetics.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Master

Received 452 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdestuck
Have a question about tying into the 3 brake light. Doesn't that make your installed running board light only illuminate when the brakes are applied. Seems to me you'd want the light on all the time for ascetics.
Your actually tapping the cargo light at the 3rd.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 AM

For me it was for function not ascetics. My MIL had a hard time seeing the steps when its dark (I live way out in the country) So tapping the cargo light worked perfect for me. When I replaced it with the LED one I just tapped to it then so I could solder the wires before I installed it.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hide wire?

Originally Posted by FredB
Here's what I did.
Could u post a pic of the hole or explain where you ran the wires from the strips into the cab... I want to hide my wires so u can't see them hanging down running under and behind the bottom of the cab but don't see a hole to run them... If anyone can help with this please chime in
Old 07-02-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you look inside the cab in both of the back corners there is a rubber grommet that is about an inch in diameter. It sits horizontally in the corner between the seat and cab pillar. I popped that grommet out and used a scrap piece of coated copper wire as a fish wire. Bent the top of it over 90 degrees so it wouldn't fall through the hole then dropped it in and climbed under the truck. You should easily be able to see where to route your wiring then. Once I figured that out I just pierced a small hole in the grommet and pulled my wires through it before reinstalling it. Hope that helped!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to guide for installing running board lights?