Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to go about negotiating a lower price?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:51 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default How to go about negotiating a lower price?

Any tips or secrets I should know to negotiate for lower prices? Not ever really sure how to go about doing it
Old 07-01-2015, 02:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ask to see the invoice sheet. Most Ford dealerships should have no problem showing this.

see how many rebates your qualify for.

compare to other dealerships (if possible)

NEVER negotiate off of monthly payments. This is one way they will bang your head. Always negotiate off of the final sales price of the vehicle.

If you have a trade go to Kelly Black Book website and get an idea where you should be on that.

With a new car or truck things are not as complicated IMO. Buying used can get tricky because there is no "invoice" just what the dealership paid for it. I've seen customers get ripped off buying used.

Ultimately, if you follow the guidelines I just laid out you should be fine. I'm also a big fan off getting the dealer to sweeten the pot a little bit. Negotiate lower prices for spray in bedliners, small accessories, that type of stuff.
The following users liked this post:
MNFX4eco (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 04:20 AM

Received 339 Likes on 191 Posts

You walk in and say, "I want to buy this truck for $1,000 under invoice minus any applicable rebates." If they tell you they can't do that (ok maybe $500 under invoice is acceptable) then you walk out and go to another dealer.

Simple as that.

Don't talk about payments or trade value until you've nailed down the price of the new vehicle.

Then you talk about trade value (if applicable).

Then you talk about payments (if applicable).

Then you decline the undercoating!!!

Then you shop online for the best price for an warranty if you want one and tell the dealer to match the online price.
The following 4 users liked this post by 2015F150Platinum4x4:
jdtemple (07-01-2015), kendive (07-01-2015), ks54703 (11-29-2019), MNFX4eco (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also recommend not dealing with the average sales person who walks up to you. Maybe look into the different sales managers/fleet managers and give them a call (most dealerships have a "meet our team" section on their website). Give one of them a call tell them what you are interested in or that you are coming in and would like to deal with them directly. In any case, no matter your approach, never forget
you are the customer and always have the power to walk away.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decide exactly what you want, then email as many dealers in your area within driving distance what you are looking for and tell them to send only send you an out the door price as well as the window sticker.

Look at all the offers that come in and compare. Then, use the lowest offer as a way to see who will match or beat it. Once your all done, you should have the best out the door price. Also, ask for the price to not include rebates. Some dealers include rebates you cannot qualify. You should already know what rebates you can get.

The dealer I bought mine from was over an hours drive away. I managed to get them to agree on a range for my trade in sight unseen.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

"You are the customer and always have the power to walk away."

Correct! Do not be afraid to walk out of the dealership. Another dealer has your price and deal.
The following users liked this post:
energySteve (11-29-2019)
Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Use TrueCar. It'll get you a fair price without dealing with the BS. Maybe not 100% rock-bottom lowest of anyone on the forum, but I've used it 3 times through USAA, and it really does help cut through the BS.

With my most recent purchase (yesterday!), I did pricing on TrueCar, and although the dealer who had the truck I wanted wasn't a TrueCar dealer, they matched the lowest TrueCar price within $100.

I'm no pro at car buying, but using TrueCar to start at decent pricing has really been useful for me. YMMV.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 5,988 Likes on 3,552 Posts

Originally Posted by MNFX4eco
Any tips or secrets I should know to negotiate for lower prices? Not ever really sure how to go about doing it
Read the forum and see the billions (well, only millions) of similar questions with answers...

Get the X-Plan by joining an appropriate organization and don't futz with negotiating.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Read the forum and see the billions (well, only millions) of similar questions with answers...

Get the X-Plan by joining an appropriate organization and don't futz with negotiating.

Well you can do that if your not interested in getting the best deal possible, there is still more meat left on the bone than what X plan pricing has to offer. While I agree X plan pricing does make it easy to buy, but its NOT the best price that you can negotiate as a non Ford employee.

Plus sometimes its fun to play the game and abuse the sales staff to get the price that you really want!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 5,988 Likes on 3,552 Posts

I understand your perspective - and don't agree with it.

While the process is lousy due to some incompetent or just as&h^le dealer personnel, being an as&h^le as a customer just perpetuates the problem. If you look up top stressful activities that people avoid, buying a car is always near the top of the list. Avoiding that stress is healthy for everyone.

When I'm spending $30K+ on a vehicle, I want to deal with a respectful salesperson, and be treated properly by the service department. X-Plan gives the customer a good price, and the dealer gets a fair profit. It's a win-win for everyone.

I've bought around 10 vehicles over 30 years, and the most pleasurable purchases were my last two - both X-Plan. My next purchase won't be X-Plan, it will be A-Plan assuming my son still works for Ford Credit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to go about negotiating a lower price?