Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible fit and finish

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default Horrible fit and finish

Ford quality has tanked. My 2014 was very well built, doors aligned correctly, no rattles, only a squeak from the passenger seat that eventually went away. I had no complaints with that truck for 63K miles, only reason its gone is it got totaled.

Wish I had had more time to find a replacement. I bought a new 2016 502a Lariat. While it looks nice, and its new, it has issues. First day I get it home, the now famous door locks freeze.

First Day I drive it to work, hit a brand new section of road that is nice and smooth, and the truck has a bad vibration. Try to unlock the doors using the Intelligent Access feature, doors wont unlock, have to dig the key out and use the fob to get in. The lock feature however was working. They work correctly now that the handles are dry.

Two weeks after having the truck, get in, try to make a call, no audio, thought it was the phone not syncing up, nope, finish the call, go to drive off, no radio. Stop the truck, turn it off, turn it back on, still no radio. Drove right to the dealer, they blamed it on a low battery code from the day I bought it.

Dead radio has now happened 3 times. Eventually it works again after the truck sits for a while.

That is 4 issues on a $62K MSRP truck.

This past weekend we had unusually warm temps so I got the truck out and gave it a once over. Not detailing or cleaning, just looking at it.

None of the doors line up! Every one of them is off a little bit somewhere. The bottom of the drivers rear sticks out while the top sticks in, no wonder it has to be pushed hard to close. None of the gaps are even anywhere.

Between the vibration, the radio, and the freezing doors, I am not pleased at all with this truck, it's only saving grace is that I can see where I'm going at night, at least the LED lights work properly.

Not going to wait on my dealer to arrange an appointment when the lock kits come in to address the vibration and radio issues, going to take it to the one by my work instead. If they can't fix the vibration, just going to keep bringing it in until they do. They have so many attempts to correct it then going to lemon the damned thing. This is ridiculous that a truck this expensive has been built so shoddily.

I miss my 14 more each day, it was a great truck, really p1$$3d that it got destroyed.

[/rant]
Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 AM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Received 360 Likes on 246 Posts

You can reset the radio by holding the power and "next song" button until the lights flash. That fixed the dead radio for me FYI.
The following users liked this post:
acdii (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry you're having issues, but from what I've seen and experienced myself, all of the different companies have the same sorts of issues, some more than others. I personally went with the XLT Sport because I didn't want to deal with potential issues with the keyless entry/start. Not had any issues in the 2 months I've had my 16 with the locks or anything else really.

Now, just out of curiosity, did the dealer not do a walk around with you when you purchased/had the truck delivered? When I got mine, we did a walk around to make sure everything looked ok (although, it was delivered from another dealer so they didn't have it on the lot), and I would think that you and the dealer would have noticed the doors if they had. Can't say much on the radio as my Sync3 radio has been great since I got it and I've had no vibration issues. I wonder, though if these issues were the reason it was still on the lot when you bought it?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by J15
You can reset the radio by holding the power and "next song" button until the lights flash. That fixed the dead radio for me FYI.

I will give it a try next time. Hopefully the software upgrade noted for this issue resolves it, if not, hopefully this does.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by bojesphob
Sorry you're having issues, but from what I've seen and experienced myself, all of the different companies have the same sorts of issues, some more than others. I personally went with the XLT Sport because I didn't want to deal with potential issues with the keyless entry/start. Not had any issues in the 2 months I've had my 16 with the locks or anything else really.

Now, just out of curiosity, did the dealer not do a walk around with you when you purchased/had the truck delivered? When I got mine, we did a walk around to make sure everything looked ok (although, it was delivered from another dealer so they didn't have it on the lot), and I would think that you and the dealer would have noticed the doors if they had. Can't say much on the radio as my Sync3 radio has been great since I got it and I've had no vibration issues. I wonder, though if these issues were the reason it was still on the lot when you bought it?
Well, it was getting late, and I had things to do still, like clean out my wrecked truck etc. so I did a walk around to make sure there were no obvious dents, scratches, or blemishes, and of course make sure everything worked. It wasn't until the truck is out in full sun light that the misalignments become apparent. When looking at it from different angles it then becomes apparent that the doors don't fully line up with the cab. This weekend was the first time since I got it to actually spend some time and look at it from the outside. I did find a small dent in the middle front edge of the hood that is not apparent until you see it from an angle. Never would have noticed it from directly in front, only when seeing it at a certain light angle.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:59 PM

Had the truck serviced today, and the vibration seems to have been resolved, there were 3 out of balance wheels. They also applied an SSM for the radio issue. So hoping those two items are resolved for good. The fit and finish, not something that can be resolved. Upon closer look, the drivers rear door it tight at the top and bottom and bulges in the middle. Looked at a couple other trucks and noticed none of the doors line up 100%. Must be the aluminum that is causing it, the steel bodied trucks are usually better aligned than this.

Time will tell if this will be a decent truck, I just hate having to buy all new shocks to smooth out the ride on a brand new truck.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

Sucks you aren't happy with your truck. Next time do a little more test driving to see if anything sticks out. Some things may not, like the door freeze, etc. But the fit and finish should have been spotted when going over the truck before purchase.

Maybe trade it in and go with another brand that still has steel bodies for the alignment you are looking for. Seems a lot of people complain about things that could have been caught early on and saved them trouble from buying the truck. Or maybe people just love to complain.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing is going to be perfect. Just work with your dealer to resolve the issues. Good luck getting everything sorted out!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can tell you when I went looking. I was amazed how most of the doors and hoods didn't have matching gaps. Even when you closed the doors, some stuck out further than others. I was thinking wow these body panels look terrible. I did see some that looked good. And I still purchased, what does that say about me. I sit on my knees praying I get a good one hahahaha.....
Old 02-22-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Don't know what to tell ya.

I also have a 2016 Lariat 502A.

Doors, hood, bed etc, all line up just fine. I can see what might be called an occasional "ripple" or "deformation" if I look down the side of the truck just right, but it's also shadow black and black is the most unforgiving color you will ever get for bodywork. There's certainly noting there I wouldn't consider normal for a mass produced vehicle.

Sync 3 has been an absolute treat. I'm on ver 2.2 and have nothing but praise for it. Seamless in my truck. Comes on like you would expect, pairs to my phone silently every time and functions fast and accurately. Sat radio will drop out around cell towers, but I'm thinking of having the new antenna done as per the SSM. I'm trying to weigh if I want them messing with my interior and roof against how much the occasional second or two sat radio drop out bothers me.

Rest of the truck is endlessly enjoyable. I actually feel good driving it.

I did have a problem with one BLIS sensor and the door freezing issue on the rear doors of my SuperCrew, but they swapped out the sensor in the tail light, did the TSB and it's been nothing but smooth sailing ever since. I am holding my breath on the rear doors freezing though. It's not that big of a deal for me, mostly an inconvenience and irritant.

I'm not trying to be a "fan boy", but my experience with my truck is very different from yours. It might have something to do with my truck being a "demo" that the new car manager drove and they used it for PR stuff. Perhaps they gave it a more thorough going over at the dealership when they had it for those reasons. Gotta have iot looking good if it's going to sit in a mall for people to gawk at I guess.

It's too bad you're not having a good experience with yours, but every truck is different beast I guess.

Last edited by Great white; 02-22-2017 at 06:00 PM.