Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tinted their moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Has anyone tinted their moonroof

This past weekend I had the front windows of my truck tinted to match the back windows. When I went to pick up the truck the guy at the tint shop showed me a clear tint that blocks out a lot of heat that is legal on the front window since it has no tint to it. After I left I started thinking about how good it might be on the moon roof since I don't really want tint it and make it darker. Has anyone tried this and if so did it help with the heat coming from the glass. I live in the south and it gets really hot down here.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd be afraid of too much heat build up inside the glass and causing it to fail (crack, shatter, etc). If it's that hot just close the shade.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:55 PM

i got some ceramic type tint on my windows and it keeps the heat out really well. dont have to get it too dark though, just get the good stuff and should keep the heat out without sacrificing natural light
Old 08-05-2015, 05:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You could always dark tint it with the mirror tint to reflect the heat
Old 08-05-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by strickland604
This past weekend I had the front windows of my truck tinted to match the back windows. When I went to pick up the truck the guy at the tint shop showed me a clear tint that blocks out a lot of heat that is legal on the front window since it has no tint to it. After I left I started thinking about how good it might be on the moon roof since I don't really want tint it and make it darker. Has anyone tried this and if so did it help with the heat coming from the glass. I live in the south and it gets really hot down here.
If he showed you Llumar air 80, go for it on both areas ... really HQ clear ceramic

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/facto...w-tint-303988/

And use this stuff to 'apply' any windshield stickers so you don't run the risk of ruining your tint by taking these stickers on/off the actual tint

Amazon.com: Grafix 9-Inch-by-12-Inch Cling Film Clear, 6-Pack Amazon.com: Grafix 9-Inch-by-12-Inch Cling Film Clear, 6-Pack
Old 08-06-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by strickland604
Did it to the windshield, and dark tinted with ceramic on the moon roof.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

did Huper Optik ceramic tint, on sunroof and whole ft windshield, no issues in TX heat.

high end ceramic tints don't need "darkness" to block the heat, and darker tint doesn't necessarily mean heat blocking

check out Huper Optik tint, 3M crystalline & even more exp and better head reduction is Solar adaptive technology Photosync tint

but we're talking $600 for a car. they have a 70% tint that's like 80% heat reduction that they're putting on the whole ft windshield

Last edited by RACER X; 08-06-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by RACER X
did Huper Optik ceramic tint, on sunroof and whole ft windshield, no issues in TX heat.
I live in Al. so we have about the same heat issues.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I put 40% 3m crystalline on mine. no problems. still super hot with black interior in louisiana. did 20% on front and 30% on back and I'm about to get a 5% brow bc im tired of driving to work with sun in my eyes every morning. any of you guys with tinted windshields have problem wearing polarized glasses? any rainbow effect?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cptCORNDOG813
I put 40% 3m crystalline on mine. no problems. still super hot with black interior in louisiana. did 20% on front and 30% on back and I'm about to get a 5% brow bc im tired of driving to work with sun in my eyes every morning. any of you guys with tinted windshields have problem wearing polarized glasses? any rainbow effect?
No problems at all I wear my polarized Maui Jims all the time I have a strip on my truck and the whole front windshield on my vette is tinted

Quick Reply: Has anyone tinted their moonroof