Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard downshift, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard downshift, anyone else?

So I put about 700 highway miles on my truck since purchasing it last week. Everything has been great so far up until I noticed some really hard downshifts around town. Seems like downshifting gears 3-2-1 are pretty rough, especially if you have to brake hard for a red light, then there's a distinct clunk. Is anyone else having this issue? I know the trans is covered under standard warranty for 5 years 50k, I just feel like I'm doing more damage every time it happens. It's a 15' 2.7 crew cab sport. Has ford acknowledged this and made any changes or fixes? I don't want to waste my time at the dealership for nothing but I also don't want to have to drive like a granny around town.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-2.7
So I put about 700 highway miles on my truck since purchasing it last week. Everything has been great so far up until I noticed some really hard downshifts around town. Seems like downshifting gears 3-2-1 are pretty rough, especially if you have to brake hard for a red light, then there's a distinct clunk. Is anyone else having this issue? I know the trans is covered under standard warranty for 5 years 50k, I just feel like I'm doing more damage every time it happens. It's a 15' 2.7 crew cab sport. Has ford acknowledged this and made any changes or fixes? I don't want to waste my time at the dealership for nothing but I also don't want to have to drive like a granny around town.
There is a TSB on hard downshift from 5th to 4th gear. Mine did it and I had the dealer fix it by a simple reprogram.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully that does the trick. I'll give my dealership a call and see what they say. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

1,000 miles on my 2.7L gas turbo (I like to say gas turbo).

I run the tranny in sport mode all the time because it works so well, very similar to the Mustang GT auto sport mode.

The gas pedal is much more responsive. It holds gears longer while accelerating, if you accelerate hard then go quick off throttle, it will hold the current gear without up shifting until you get back on the gas.

It also downshifts earlier, with a bit of rev matching, very nice. If you brake hard, it downshifts more quickly and harder. The Mustang GT auto in sport mode did all of this also, and I think the truck's sport mode performance shift logic is great, and I have a lot of time in performance cars.

The sport mode shift logic almost always has the truck in the gear I want... I have no need to manually shift, until I go to the mountains. I haven't done any heavy hauling or towing yet, but I expect it will be well sorted.

Maybe you are experiencing some of this downshifting, maybe you have a problem. If I could drive your truck, I could compare it to mine.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine does the hard 5th- 4th in sport mode. Would that fall under the tsb?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 PM
I eat pork skins everyday

Received 70 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine does this in sport mode only. But fwiw, "hard" transmission shifts are actually
healthier for your transmission than the soft ones you barely feel. And by "hard" I mean a good positive and quick engagement you can "feel" when driving - not a violent "jerk". The less slippage and the less smooth engagement the better - less friction, less heat, less wear. The hard shifts actually put less stress on the tranny unless this issue seems violent to the point of it jarring all the passengers. Just enjoy the hard down shifts knowing you're saving life on the tranny and your brakes.

Are you hearing any whirring or whining noises while driving? Throwing any codes? Also monitor your tranny temps in the info window. Just having a hard down shift especially in 1-3 is not enough to worry - sport mode slams you into those lower gears by design when you brake so when you put the gas down again you're in the sweet spot of the power band right away. It's all by design. Hence the term "Sport".
Old 01-30-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

The clunk has been around for some time. My 2012 has it. Dealer flashed the tyranny. It helped for a brief time,but still happens now and again. I'm hoping that the new 10 speed in the 2017's will be better.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard downshifting

2016 Platinum Yes feels like the trans fell out when it shifts from 5th to 4th in tow haul or sport if it just shifted into 5th and you need to slow as soon as you take your foot out of the throttle or when you touch the brake bam the truck jerks real hard when it jumps into 4th very disappointed. The rear end bearings were replace at 28k the sunroof broke at 30k and it also has a thunking noise when driving slow seems to be coming from the rear. I can make it do it pushing up and down on the bumper. I just hate this truck. I’ve had lots of fords hope you’re listening FORD 33K miles going to the dealer Monday 😡
Transmission hard downshift All fixed with software update 😀😀

Last edited by Hauler2; 09-23-2018 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 09-07-2018, 06:16 AM
2018 XLT FX4

Received 641 Likes on 396 Posts

Edited...Delete

Last edited by Scott2373; 09-07-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have 1200 miles on my 18, and I have hopes of it getting better as the truck learns my drive style. The past week I had a few harsh downshifts, and once where it should have downshifted and did not causing a stiff shutter on acceleration. The 10 speed is certainly not as smooth as my 6 speed was in my 15. The 6 speed has stiff downshifts as well. Anyone know when the TSB came out ? Was it for 17, 18, or ? I bought my truck 5 weeks ago so maybe it has been applied ?

-Jeff

Quick Reply: Hard downshift, anyone else?