Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny convo with 2 truck owners friends.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Blunt

Received 1,073 Likes on 722 Posts

Default Funny convo with 2 truck owners friends.

I find it funny how people who own trucks won't admit why they bought the Hemi, or the 3500 etc... I was on my way back to work at a red light and a Silverado 1500 pulled up next to me and started revving. I though it was some douche but I looked over and it's a guy I know, and he had a grin on, I'll just refer to him as Mr Chevy.

So, nobody really around we peel out at the green light. We were both spinning wheels because of warm weather and lots of sand on the pavement but I managed to stay just ahead of him.

Get to work and we walk to the smoking area and another guy I know is already there, he drives a Ram 2500 super diesel thing with giant mudflaps hanging off his bumper, we'll call him Mr Ram. Mr Chevy asks what I did to my truck (mods). I said nothing, he didn't believe me. Then he said that mine might be faster, but he has the 5.whatever Liter engine so he can tow more. Mr Ram chimes in and says "Yeah I love my 2500 for towing.".

I asked Mr Chevy what he tows. He tows nothing. Ever. I said "Yeah neither do I, so it doesn't really matter what they can tow right?". Then Mr Ram chimes in again and says he tows a trailer with his 2 snowmobiles. I ask how much that is, "couple thousand pounds". Ok. But then says that in the summer he tows his camper trailer. I said that makes sense, 5th wheel? No. Not a 5th wheel. It's a single axle 22' camper lol

So I told him how an F150 or 1500 could easily tow both of those, and asked why he got the 2500. Kept saying because it can tow alot. I kept asking what he tows that's more than 7000lbs. He doesn't tow anything more than 6K!

This went on for a bit, and Mr Chevy walked away when I started talking about the gas mileage I get. Finally, after telling Mr Ram that it still doesn't make sense why he got the 2500, he says, because he wanted the bigger diesel truck, for no practical reason. I said, that's what I thought, why didn't you just say that? He went on about towing again and I said I had to go.

This happened today, but this happens all the time. Just last week my buddy said he wants a 3500 "just because". Not for toys or a camper or anything, just for a daily driver. Sometimes I just don't get it, and I find it funny how hard it is for all of these guys to admit that they just wanted the bigger truck for no good reason other than to just have the bigger truck, or the bigger engine, or the louder exhaust. I also get weird looks when I say mine has a 2.7L, and that's what I wanted, and I searched for weeks to find it even though I could have picked up a 3.5L or 5L with everything I wanted much easier. Maybe I'm getting old in my young age but I'm enjoying a sticker-free vehicle, stock height that's quick, good on gas, and a nice smooth and QUIET ride

That's my anti-rant
Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

A buddy of mine bought a Duramax new several years ago. We were both fresh out of college. Neither of us owned much of anything that would ever need towing. He used it to commute. I asked him why he bought it and he told me it could pull anything. I said, "right, but what are you gonna tow?" "Anything I want," was his answer lol. He just went through a big *** diesel truck phase, I guess. Heck, I'd love a 3/4 ton diesel. But I've got no use for it and can't justify the expense. But if you're loaded or don't mind payments, buy what you want.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Similar story with a relative, most I know say the other brand for pricing or mentality all fords are bad just about,(taurus/focus/f150 triton motors are probably some good examples of that). While my relative could have probably gotten a platinum f150/big horn RAM he opted for the big 6.2L silverado LT Z71. I went for 2.7L new years eve. Kept telling me to at least get a v8. I kept asking why?? says more power/towing/engine sound. I would respond, but I don't need that towing capability, don't care to have engine sound. I prefer the 2.7L I test drove I explained. So when I got the truck offered to take him a ride. Relatives thoughts.. Its a quiet engine, not too bad, then a moment of silence for the remainder of the trip..lol No more "why didn't you get a v8 though?" after that. Had to point out the low RPM uphill early as we started driving around, where his truck ran 4k or more and mine under 2k...lol

I kept explaining months before why I didn't want the chevy, biggest dislike for me is that the interior exterior isn't that great. Not so much the new redesign out now, but still oddball interior. Also didn't like the lagging shifting his 6.2L had, high RPMs and bad gas mileage. RAM would be my 2nd choice if I couldn't get a ford, like most everything about RAM just wish the grille/front would be changed for once, its overdue for a refresh.

While I could have gotten a cheaper brand or lower model, I only wanted to buy one new vehicle this once and if I was ever to do it, I made sure to do it right the first time is what I told my relative.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

i see their point of wanting to tow things. i own nothing i can tow as of yet and I'm getting an f150. i don't even need the power it has really, but i plan on keeping the vehicle for 15+ years so maybe thats what they're planning on. in those years owning something that needs towing and they won't want to buy another truck. for the record i have a motorcycle and i wanted a truck for that and for future use
Old 02-05-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not rich enough to buy a vehicle purely on "want", and have to look more for what I "need". Heck, I bought an XL

I don't fault people for wanting bigger, badder toys, but some people do confuse the want/need things at times. Bragging that they can tow 15,000 lbs or whatever, when all they ever tow is a utility trailer is pretty funny to me.

Last edited by rival; 02-05-2016 at 07:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rival:
Daghnar (02-06-2016), drewv2 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

I have a buddy that bought the Chevy 2500 ext cab 4x4 ltz. He got the 2500 because he wanted rear disc brakes. He also got the 6.0. (This was a few years ago). Black. Was gorgeous. Towed nothing got 13 mpg 10 towing a uhaul. Ended up trading it because of the mpg. I was like really dude, they make the 1500 for normal guys and home depo trips. But yup bought what he wanted not what he needed and couldn't afford it. Now gone.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought a truck cause Texas.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rival
I'm not rich enough to buy a vehicle purely on "want", and have to look more for what I "need".

I don't fault people for wanting bigger, badder toys, but some people do confuse the want/need things at times. Bragging that they can tow 15,000 lbs or whatever, when all they ever tow is a jet ski or a utility trailer is pretty funny to me.
feel about the same here on that. Mine was part "want" getting 302a package plus just about every other package which was a bonus @12koff MSRP..but a "need" for something reliable that can haul moderate loads as my ranger 2000 nearly 200k miles has been having more issues. Northeast OH weather takes a toll on lots of parts/body eating rust holes into it.

Don't have to be rich to get what you want and if you want something bad enough you can make it work.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I kept beating myself up over not ordering 3.55's and the towing package on a Platinum 4x4 last week. I own nothing to tow and I got the 5.0 over the 3.5 just because I have confidence in that engine plus I always put an exhaust system on my trucks. Personal preference but I don't care for the sound of a V6 modded exhaust. My truck will be a daily driver and logically I thought I didn't need a gear upgrade. So I stuck with the 3.31's with the EL, here's hoping I enjoy it :-) although I have a suspicion I will as this will be the 6th Ford truck I've owned.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought an f150 5.4 crew cab because I always wanted 1.i plan on buying a boat eventually but other then that I'll never need to tow anything! I'm happy out driving over and back to the train station, and Costco at the weekends! And I can always say i owned an f150!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Funny convo with 2 truck owners friends.