Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Noise !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Front End Noise !!!

So... I have a 2015 f150 4x4 and tonight while i was driving through a parking lot and turning a loud metal on metal sound came from the front end, also at the same time (not sure if a coincidence or not) the 2 High light started flashing in the dash and all day the ac/blower as been intermitnent coming and going. Drove the pickup home and when pulling into the driveway the same loud grinding noise happened again! I slid underneath the truck just to see if something was hanging off but nope it looked all good. Any ideas????
Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lifted ford
So... I have a 2015 f150 4x4 and tonight while i was driving through a parking lot and turning a loud metal on metal sound came from the front end, also at the same time (not sure if a coincidence or not) the 2 High light started flashing in the dash and all day the ac/blower as been intermitnent coming and going. Drove the pickup home and when pulling into the driveway the same loud grinding noise happened again! I slid underneath the truck just to see if something was hanging off but nope it looked all good. Any ideas????
front wheel bearings or 4wd hubs
Old 08-20-2015, 09:15 PM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

would this cause the 2 high to flash also?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figure it out?

Did you figure it out? I've had the same noise twice and have no clue. No dash lights for me though.

Originally Posted by lifted ford
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issue here. Originally thought maybe it was a caliber issue but the grinding noise (like a bad bearing) doesn't make sense if it is. Mine is coming from the passenger front wheel. Extremely loud metal on metal clanging noise and then followed by a grinding noise with an intermittent popping/clunking noise. It has done it 3 times now. The first 2 times it went away after I came to a complete stop and put it in park (I got out and looked underneath the front end for something wrong) and then resumed to my destination (home). This time, the loud clanging noise went away but the grinding stuck around and it felt like something was hold the back the truck. Out of curiosity, I switched to 4wd High and the grinding noise and popping noise went away. Switched back to 2wd and the noises returned. I have an appointment at the dealership to get it looked at.

Last edited by Longjt; 09-02-2015 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

This might sound stupid but, did it rain or have high humidity when your truck was parked? How long was the truck parked? My Shelby will do the same thing when I park it over night and the dew sits on it, the front brakes seem to be locked up. I hear a pop then a slight grind and all is well after that. I figure it is just the dew on the brake pads and rotor. Could our truck be doing the same thing, not sure I am driving the Shelby more then the truck in the mornings to work.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Longjt
Same issue here. Originally thought maybe it was a caliber issue but the grinding noise (like a bad bearing) doesn't make sense if it is. Mine is coming from the passenger front wheel. Extremely loud metal on metal clanging noise and then followed by a grinding noise with an intermittent popping/clunking noise. It has done it 3 times now. The first 2 times it went away after I came to a complete stop and put it in park (I got out and looked underneath the front end for something wrong) and then resumed to my destination (home). This time, the loud clanging noise went away but the grinding stuck around and it felt like something was hold the back the truck. Out of curiosity, I switched to 4wd High and the grinding noise and popping noise went away. Switched back to 2wd and the noises returned. I have an appointed at the dealership to get it looked at.
Sounds like a bad IWE. It's the part that engages your front wheels when in 4wd. Vacuum holds them disengaged while in 2wd. They are most likely trying to partially engage causing them to grind. Putting it in 4wd engages them completely and no more grinding.
The following users liked this post:
Longjt (09-02-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you by chance have a lift or level kit? They are notorious for creating front end noises, everything from what you are describing to squeaks, clicks and rubbing sounds...I really want to add about an 1.5 inch level kit (my KR should be here this week!) but will ONLY do so if I can get a guarantee in writing that it will NOT directly or indirectly be responsible for additional noises or vibrations. Any venders care to chime in?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by quintonh
Sounds like a bad IWE. It's the part that engages your front wheels when in 4wd. Vacuum holds them disengaged while in 2wd. They are most likely trying to partially engage causing them to grind. Putting it in 4wd engages them completely and no more grinding.
Having had this experience a number of times with my stock 2012, I would agree with the IWE grind. Mine were replaced 3 times over 3 years, and in number of times for the problem without IWE replacement - solenoid, etc. It is a clever idea, but bad design/implementation.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MJW
Do you by chance have a lift or level kit? They are notorious for creating front end noises, everything from what you are describing to squeaks, clicks and rubbing sounds...I really want to add about an 1.5 inch level kit (my KR should be here this week!) but will ONLY do so if I can get a guarantee in writing that it will NOT directly or indirectly be responsible for additional noises or vibrations. Any venders care to chime in?

How can someone guarantee in writing something they have no control over? The new Ford 2015 aluminum F150's have so many issues, concerns, squeaks, rattles, vibrations, wind noises, leaks etc., etc., you have got to be kidding??
The following users liked this post:
kendive (09-01-2015)

Quick Reply: Front End Noise !!!