Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Level and 33" Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Time Level and 33" Tires

Hi All,

I have a question regarding a 2015 F150, a 2.5" Rough Country level, and 33" Trail Grapplers. Since this is my first time leveling a truck and putting aftermarket tires/wheels on one, I do not know what's normal vs. what is not.

After putting the level kit on, I've noticed what appears to be a small drone or metal on metal contact/high pitch vibration coming through the gas pedal and steering wheel. It's considerably noticeable while going over rougher pavement.

I understand how the level kit works and what it did to my struts, but what I don't know is if the increased compression of the suspension is supposed to be felt through the wheel and gas pedal.

If this is normal, would something like the Fox 2.5 Coilover system help or eliminate this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2015, 06:35 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

You are putting all the suspension joints and the CV joints at angles they were not designed to operate at. So yes some NVH is normal.

Coilovers wouldn't make a difference, everything is still at the same angle.

A lower leveling kit might help.
The following users liked this post:
DarthGator14 (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 06:38 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthGator14
Hi All,

I have a question regarding a 2015 F150, a 2.5" Rough Country level, and 33" Trail Grapplers. Since this is my first time leveling a truck and putting aftermarket tires/wheels on one, I do not know what's normal vs. what is not.

After putting the level kit on, I've noticed what appears to be a small drone or metal on metal contact/high pitch vibration coming through the gas pedal and steering wheel. It's considerably noticeable while going over rougher pavement.

I understand how the level kit works and what it did to my struts, but what I don't know is if the increased compression of the suspension is supposed to be felt through the wheel and gas pedal.

If this is normal, would something like the Fox 2.5 Coilover system help or eliminate this issue?

Thanks in advance!
I did a 2.5" level and went with larger tires as well and didn't notice any difference in drivability and ride after an alignment.

Yes, you changed angles but I don't think what you're experiencing is normal. At least not from what I have experienced or from what I've read from other people doing the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
DarthGator14 (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 PM

What about going to something like the Bilstein 5100 and toning it down to a 2" lift? In theory, would that give me better performance vs. a spacer kit?
Old 09-25-2015, 06:55 PM
F250>F150

I don't know about the Bilstein 5100s, but in theory the closer to stock you are the closer to stock ride you'll have.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by BoozeDaily
I don't know about the Bilstein 5100s, but in theory the closer to stock you are the closer to stock ride you'll have.
Man, I don't know what to do. If I take it to the dealer to check it out, they will immediately blame the level kit and tires.

Also don't want to run the risk of spending crazy amounts of money on upgraded shocks if they won't help either.

Maybe I just downsize to a 1.5" or 2" and see if that helps.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:06 PM
F250>F150

Yea, depending on your dealership they will probably blame the lift/tires. I was able to establish rapport with the custom lift person at the dealership so they are less quick to jump to aftermarket conclusions. I'd like to think that they would genuinely check everything out before just blaming something not related to them.

You probably don't need to upgrade your coilovers. A strut spacer is fine to run on your truck. A smaller spacer would theoretically create less changes to your geometry and therefore less wear and tear.

Did you do an alignment after it was installed? If you went that high there is a chance your camber could be off too, instead of just the conventional toe adjustment. While this shouldn't cause any noise it's worth looking into.

Also, if you have 4x4, there was something going around with regarding a level up front and IWE issues. Maybe worth a search on the forum or someone more knowledgable chiming in.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BoozeDaily
Yea, depending on your dealership they will probably blame the lift/tires. I was able to establish rapport with the custom lift person at the dealership so they are less quick to jump to aftermarket conclusions. I'd like to think that they would genuinely check everything out before just blaming something not related to them.

You probably don't need to upgrade your coilovers. A strut spacer is fine to run on your truck. A smaller spacer would theoretically create less changes to your geometry and therefore less wear and tear.

Did you do an alignment after it was installed? If you went that high there is a chance your camber could be off too, instead of just the conventional toe adjustment. While this shouldn't cause any noise it's worth looking into.

Also, if you have 4x4, there was something going around with regarding a level up front and IWE issues. Maybe worth a search on the forum or someone more knowledgable chiming in.
I appreciate the help. Yes, I had an alignment conducted after the level kit was installed. I'll see if I can't get out to a piece of dirt this weekend and test the function of the 4x4 as well (although I'm not experiencing any grinding or other noises like others have had with bad IWEs).

I'd ride with it through the weekend and see if I'll be able to get use to it. If not, guess I'll take it back to the shop and have the level kit removed.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:34 PM
F250>F150

Without hearing the sound I have no idea where to start. Hopefully it's something that can be resolved pretty easily for you.

Maybe it will be something as simple as tightening up strut bolts.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:39 PM

It's not a sound, just an unusual vibration. It's weird because the gas pedal is digital, so I don't know how it could be transferring vibrations.

Oh well, I guess this is the stuff you put up with when modifying vehicles.

...I need to go meditate or something before my ocd kicks in

Quick Reply: First Time Level and 33" Tires