Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150LEDs.com - LED Lights Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Default F150LEDs.com - LED Lights Review

So I decided to purchase the Headlight combo (Hi/Low) from F150LEDs.com that many of us have seen/visited. I went with the Mark II kit. I also picked up Mark II fog lights, reverse lights, rear turn/brake lights and license plate frame lights. Installed them tonight... here is what I think

First... the light output on the headlights is awesome. I think they are actually brighter then some HID kits i've intalled in the past. Comparing them to my wife's Rogue's stock LED light system, they are right up there with them. They seem very durable/rugged as well.

Now... that sounds great right... what's the bad... well here goes

First... they require a boot with a cut-out, as they have built in fans. This does not worry me so much for water getting in, but the boots they provide, already cut out, were not cut out THAT WELL. Quick job almost. They do fit snug, but that's the problem, they didn't account for running the wires. So the wires can tend to knock the boot off, because the wires get sandwiched between the boot/housing... it is what it is. I also had a tough time because it was cold out, so the wires were stiff

Second... they require some brute force to get in there. They sit right up against the housing so you can't actually fit them in and turn them. I had to pull the inner housing away a bit to get it to seat..

Third... with #2 being said, the lows went in easy... the highs however, well not so well. I couldn't make them fit. I had to loosen up the 3 screws on the inner housing to make room for the thicker little blades... worries me the light may turn on it's own... but with the boot, i'm hoping it might not

Fourth... I know why it's doing this, but my passenger light flickered 3 times during about a 30 minute drive. I was told you need to ensure it's a rock solid conneciton, great, how do you do that? Well the light plugs into the ballast and theres a little thumb screw, that you screw down. only it does not seem to make a solid connection. I think the screws there just to prevent the wires from pulling apart. I believe it may not be as tight as it should be.

Sooo other than that. I like them. The things above are annoying if you've never installed these before. After I did my first light (which took a little over an hour) the 2nd one was installed within 15 minutes. The BIGGEST pain is the fact that FORD made it so you have to remove the ENTIRE HEADLIGHT to replace a bulb. That's the part that requires time if you've never removed your headlights before. What a pain in the **** if you ask me.

So what about the other lights? Well the fog lights installed very easily. They look great. They don't put out much light compared to the headlights, but that's fine. My stock fog lamps added more light then my stock headlights had. But with the LED ones... the fogs are not needed. I replaced them so that everything up front matched of course. They do throw light a bit on the sides though.

The reverse lights are good. They look nice. Tough for me to test out since theres a street lamp above my truck. But a before/after shot def. showed the LED light was present. Before shot, you couldn't see reverse lights. After, you saw them.

The rear taillight was easy to install. Not sure how much of a difference but I bet it looks cleaner.

The license plate light... def. cleaner white light over the old light.

So all in all i'm happy with my purchases. Would i recommend them to a friend... yeahhhhhhhh I guess I would IF they read this article and follow some tips I mentioned.

Are there better kits? MAYBE? I have another headlight set from my old boss on it's way to me for testing/review/installation videos. I may or may not be up for that swap out since I don't like the work You need to remove a ford headlight... we shall see. I really would like to compare them.

I don't have pics since it's 12am now and I don't want to setup my real camera. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:33 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Was looking at that kit. Looked like very tight fit, and in the video he needed a pliers to turn the bulb in.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

F150LEDs is severely overpriced. Second, as always, an LED in halogen housings create a burst of lighting and doesn't focus the light on the road, so visibility is actually worse.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:44 AM
Banned

Visibility was actually very good, except for the fog lights.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Vycor
Visibility was actually very good, except for the fog lights.
I got one from F150LEDs.com for my fogs. It looks amazing from outside, it's a perfect pair of the low beam headlights.
However there's no specific light pattern.
It helps a little bit at night any way.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:30 PM

Except when you actually need them for fog, then they reflect against the white fog.

If y'all are looking for driving lights and increased visibility when not in foggy conditions, I recommend actual driving lights. Halogens or LEDs in the right housing works awesome.

Trust me folks, when you get a good lighting set up, you realize just how poorly those LEDs in halogen housings look. It's night and day...LITERALLY.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Banned

We don't get much fog here on Long Island believe it or not, so they never served much purpose.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Troponin
F150LEDs is severely overpriced. Second, as always, an LED in halogen housings create a burst of lighting and doesn't focus the light on the road, so visibility is actually worse.
LED's in the 2015+ halogen headlights actually put out a very good light pattern as long as they are CREE or Phillips Luxeon LED's (one LED on each side). There is a nice cut off and the light isn't scattered like you think it would be. I only had to aim mine down a little to make the cutoff at the same level as the halogens. I've never been flashed at by oncoming traffic and I can see much much better than the horrible stock halogens.

Fogs are a bit different. I had some cheap $25 plug and play LED fogs and the light was quite scattered and I felt they weren't doing what they were supposed to. So I went with Morimoto fogs and they are 100% better than the stock fog housings.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Banned

I agree, I've used LEDs and even HID in other vehicles, lots of issues. These kits work great in our trucks. The fog's dont do much I agree. I have to figure out a good solution for the fogs. Maybe different bulbs perhaps or something else. My fogs seem like they might be aimed up a bit or perhaps off to the sides...
Old 02-01-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by moguy1973
So I went with Morimoto fogs and they are 100% better than the stock fog housings.
Morimoto is the brand used on Retrofit and I hear they make very good products. Doesn't surprise me that you had good results with them.

Quick Reply: F150LEDs.com - LED Lights Review