Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do I need a towing package?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default do I need a towing package?

You guys have been very helpful to me in regards to the truck I'm going to get and I need your help once again. I won't be towing with this truck but should I get a towing package anyway just got future proofing/resale value down the road? I'm leasing but hope to buy it once the lease is up. I'm debating this and the extended fuel tank right now, I only drive about 8/9k miles per year and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks on stuff I don't really need, thanks again!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mal01
You guys have been very helpful to me in regards to the truck I'm going to get and I need your help once again. I won't be towing with this truck but should I get a towing package anyway just got future proofing/resale value down the road? I'm leasing but hope to buy it once the lease is up. I'm debating this and the extended fuel tank right now, I only drive about 8/9k miles per year and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks on stuff I don't really need, thanks again!
If you aren't going to tow, then you don't need a hitch or tow package. A hitch/package will increase ability to sell later on...but will what you get be worth what you spend, probably not.

I am sure some will disagree but it is similar to a house. You can sell a house easier with updated kitchen but you typically don't recoup the money spent. If it is a seller's market, might not want to remodel and sell as is; if buyer's market, then it may be worth the cost to help sell quicker.

Ford trucks maintain resale value very well. If you are concerned about cost now - leave it off.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

If you do not plan to tow then no do not waste the money on it.
The bigger tank is nice but not a must. ...us up in canada only get the larger tank.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you know 100% that you will never tow then I would pass on it. But if there might be any chance then I would get it. Personally I would never buy a truck without a hitch. I don't tow very often at all but I wouldn't want to be stuck if I needed to. It has come in handy a few times. My father in laws truck was having issues one day when we to go out fishing. If I didn't have a hitch, the boat wouldn't have gone anywhere. Just my opinion.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Standard tow package YES,
Max Tow. No.
The standard tow package will hold its value for re-sale.
Its nice to have the receiver hitch and trailer plug even if you don't think you would use it. You just may.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Going to buy Lariat 502A, already has a hitch on it and can tow 5000# right?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always do even if I don't plan on towing "if" the package comes with other upgrades and the F150 Package does. Beefed up sway bars on the front and oil/transmission coolers depending on the model. Also get the smart trailer connection with the package.

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Bought an xterra without a tow package. Always regretted it.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

You never know when you're going to need it. Even if it's only once, you'll be glad to have it.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

Even if you never tow, the extra suspension and cooling equipment you get for the money make it a no-brianer upgrade, IMO. I will never own a truck without the factory tow package.

Quick Reply: do I need a towing package?