Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Oil change for the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIY Oil change for the 5.0

Anyone do their own oil change yet? I think the oil pan isn't exposed like it is on previous generations and the covers have to be removed to gain access to the oil drain plug.

The oil filter looks like it is in a similar position as previous generations.

Anyone run into any quirks or difficulties?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I also have a 5.0, I crawled under it after purchase last week and saw that the oil pan drain is easy to access even with the skid plates installed, the oil filter however is a different story and is at the front of the motor, horizontal and will be messy to change.

I will probably drop the skid plate to make clean up easier as I always do my own oil changes on all my vehicles. I have a large 2 foot by 4 foot plastic clothes storage tray for under bed storage that I put under everything when changing fluids that can get messy, like tranny fluid changes. I find it easier to clean the plastic tray out later than have burnt oil smell for days after a fluid change.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Remember you have just shy of 8 quarts of oil behind that drain plug. I installed an EZ oil drain. (
Amazon.com: EZ (EZ-107) Silver 12mm-1.75 Thread Size Oil Drain Valve: Automotive Amazon.com: EZ (EZ-107) Silver 12mm-1.75 Thread Size Oil Drain Valve: Automotive
) to have oil control next time. Under the filter is a small drip pan to send the oil from the filter towards the front, If you are on a slight hill, when removing your filter it will go over the back side of it. T.P.

Last edited by VALKYRIETP; 07-01-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil change for the 5.0