Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dip Stick Flex

Old 09-02-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dip Stick Flex

I ran thru my first tank of gas on the new truck. As always, I checked the oil when I refilled the tank. Is it me, or are the dip sticks extremely flexible? I could not push it back it without grabbing the middle and pushing from there. Definitely not a good experience.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so what can I do to fix it? Does it become easier over time? Is there an alternative dip stick, or am I just being too picky?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine is flexible but i don't have a problem pushing it in from the end. Be sure you get it in all the way. I didn't check my oil until 2000 miles and found the dip stick was left out about an inch, it had blown over a quart of oil out on the lower part of the motor.
The following 2 users liked this post by motorhead2013:
Mattsdad (09-02-2015), OhTom (09-03-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that tip. I was sure I pushed it all of the way in, but after reading your comment I'm not so sure anymore. Out into the dark with a flashlight
I go.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattsdad
Thanks for that tip. I was sure I pushed it all of the way in, but after reading your comment I'm not so sure anymore. Out into the dark with a flashlight
I go.
Like you, I check oil with every gas fill, a habit from back in my farming days. I do wish that the new trucks did have an under-hood lamp so you wouldn't have to don the flashlight; the factory under-hood light in my 1993 XLT F150 is very helpful.

It seems like all manufacturers aren't making checking oil easy...the top of the oil dipstick tube is recessed under a plastic shroud on my wife's 2014 Jeep, and it is difficult to replace the dipstick, day or night.

Last edited by Velosprout; 09-02-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

the dipstick is a 2-foot piece of extremely thin metal, it is expected to flex some... especially since I don't think the "tube" is straight so at some point you will catch a bend on the way down.
not sure why this would be an issue? it's not like it's structural or anything, you really only need the bottom inch of it and the handle on top, the rest is just a connecting piece.

1st world problem, thank you internet
Old 09-03-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattsdad
I ran thru my first tank of gas on the new truck. As always, I checked the oil when I refilled the tank. Is it me, or are the dip sticks extremely flexible? I could not push it back it without grabbing the middle and pushing from there. Definitely not a good experience.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so what can I do to fix it? Does it become easier over time? Is there an alternative dip stick, or am I just being too picky?

Thanks
I'm going to say you are too picky. I grew up working at a gas station and oil change shop. The majority of vehicles required you to use 2 hands when inserting the dip stick or you would bend the crap out of them.
The following users liked this post:
Mattsdad (09-03-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dip Stick Flex