Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Dealership Experience

Considering this hasn't really been spoken about all that much. Let us know how you were treated as a customer by your dealer. Was it positive? Anything you didn't like?
The reason I ask is because I just went through it today and some things left a sour taste in my mouth.

My salesman, although a nice well informed guy that gave me really good pricing on the hottest item they offer, was a little too chatty. What I mean is that I don't want to stay 2hrs at the dealer talking. Just give me the info and do the work as quickly as possible and let me leave. All in all, he's a very good guy and knew his stuff. I would recommend him for sure.

Now the credit application guy, the one who wants to sell you all the extras. Wow what a douche bag!! I start off by saying I don't want any extras, taking the truck as is. So this unclassy douche is trying to shove as many extras down my throat as he can. I said no to extra warranty, he asks why. I told him because everytime i claim they find an excuse to refuse. So leave me alone. Then he tries to sell me anti-rust (i live in a salty winter wonderland), again, I refused. He asks "why not? We will garantee against perforation." I explained how my other truck is 6 yrs old and has zero rust and this new one is made of aluminum. He replies " no not all of it, not the bottom of the cab" I gave him a look and said..YES IT IS!! Although the frame is made of steel, it has an e-coat and will be more than fine for the next 5 yrs. Don't you know your product? Then he tries to sell me the pre-paid service plan. Again I refused. Why do I need to pre-pay my service? He says that it's like beer. "When you need beer for a party, you buy the case, not per bottle LoL. So this is the case of beer, it comes out cheaper." I was like, I hate beer and I want the choice of where I maintain my vehicle. I don't need to pre-pay for service. I find it expensive for nothing. He used brakes as an example, but i only change brakes once every 2 yrs. So at $500 a brake job, i still win and an oil change is only $50 at my local garage. The rest of the stuff mentioned is all warranty things anyways, like belts shocks etc. I'm just pissed cause I told him i didn't want any extras and he still pushed them super hard. I know how to sell and i would have taken a completely different approach. He sucked as a salesman.

Over all though, i can't wait for friday to roll in and I get my truck

Whatever...rant over
Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I share your experience with the guy pushing high profit useless add ons.

Did you consider just getting up and leaving his office? You may have slipped on the greasy floor on your way out, but do you think they would have sold you the truck if you just up and left, even if you were polite about it? Was you deal contingent upon listening to his condescending infomercial? Just curious, because I'll probably do this at my next purchase; just wondering if it will snuff my agreed upon price.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, i'm not able to be that rude even though he would have deserved it. Would make the situation worse. Just say no and take pride that his efforts did not work. I felt pretty happy knowing I didn't fall for it.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

I haven't had to deal with the credit guy yet.

However, my first experience with the floor guys was sort of bad. I walked up to two sales guys and said I was interested in the 2015's and if they had a time frame on when they'd be coming in, and if I could order one. The first guy laughed and was like "come back in three months then I can help you" and walked off. I made comment saying that it was too bad because my credit union just approved me for 50k and I really wanted to order one out.

Second guy got me in to the fleet manager and I put together an order. Fleet manager's been super cool, even with me adding options every week after reading this forum and realizing how I can't live without features like electronically sliding rear windows.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1st salesman wasn't making any money on you today, so he wasn't going to waste his time. ( in his mind anyway).
When I bought my 2011, I did it all online. I didn't set foot in the front door until they went after the truck 100 miles away and had it ready for me to see. I tried all the local dealers on price and they were all VERY VERY close to each other on similar trucks. It all went well. Now the service writers are a different story. Geez. 12 of them and they're all misfits.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

The credit guy when I bought my truck was also an a-hole. I don't want to get into it too much but he was a big liar and jerked me around.

I got a 3 page email I was prepared to send to Ford about the whole situation, after showing it to the sales manager everything became square though.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

This is why my next truck will be done solely over email. I'll go pick up the keys and be on my way
Old 12-18-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
The credit guy when I bought my truck was also an a-hole. I don't want to get into it too much but he was a big liar and jerked me around.

I got a 3 page email I was prepared to send to Ford about the whole situation, after showing it to the sales manager everything became square though.
A former co-workers' husband was a finance man at a dealership and he told once he'd stand in the bathroom shaving in the morning thinking of ways to make money. I believe that to be the norm.
He left the business years ago.

Last I heard they were damn near broke.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LariatTx
The 1st salesman wasn't making any money on you today, so he wasn't going to waste his time. ( in his mind anyway).
I'm also pretty young and I just got off of a 12 hour overnight shift so I looked kind of ragged (I'm a night nurse), so I probably didn't look like the average customer base in my area (mostly retirees or farmers) so I felt like he didn't take my interest seriously.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

I partook in 3 F150 sales this past year..... 2 for me and one for a family member. The first one was not the greatest. Like many posters say I dealt over the phone and online and never set foot near the dealership ( it was a couple hundred mile journey) until we settled on what I wanted to pay.... which took 3 weeks. Then I show up with my truck and trailer ready to haul the new truck home. They have the new one out front ready to go supposedly so up to the credit office I go. One girl was training and was friendly.... her trainer..... not so much. I refused any additional stuff and just asked for the final price in writing. Being a cash sale she asked how I was paying.... well..... cheque of course unless you want a briefcase full of bills lol. I said I would get a certified cheque from the bank I deal with in town. I asked for my new trucks keys at this point....... and she said no..... I replied "Well if you want to sell this thing give me the keys so I can test drive it first". They handed over the keys and a d plate. I took it for a rip and found the passenger mirror inoperable. Brought it back and told them to do something about it. Well then they give me the run around that it's going to take a few weeks to get it in and blah blah blah...... Uh huh.

Funny how when I mentioned I still hadn't paid them a cent and they could shove the truck up their *** they all of sudden could fix it right then and there! It was just a wiring harness on the mirror motor partially unclipped..... Then they still had issues as I was taking it with no license plate....... it's going home on a trailer dummy..... no plate required lol. Idiots.

Second sale was way too easy. I drove in, drove the truck, 38% off MSRP lowball offer..... they accept..... I told the finance guy he could save us both time and not give me the spiel.... he obliged and I picked it up about a week later once they did a spray in liner and mudflaps and I had time to come get it.

Third with my mother was a run around too. Same dealer and salesguy as sale number 2. I had to tell them they could shove the truck if they didn't fix the 3m they put on it..... and forgot to put on the bumper. We had already waited 3 weeks longer than originally intended because of their bs and delays. And the finance guy was a greaseball that made me sick to listen to him. I convinced my mother to do only the 3m and forget the rest of his crap....

Buying the first truck and last truck in my story were bs too....... just because of other dealer tactics and run around. Sale two I found online and was a one and done deal. I wish sale number 2 was the norm....

Quick Reply: Dealership Experience