Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer doesn't know how to turn on OEM brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:09 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Dealer doesn't know how to turn on OEM brake controller

Does anyone know what exactly to tell the dealer to do in order to turn on an OEM brake controller?
I installed an OEM controller and went to my local dealer to have it turned on. People on this site say it's 5,10,15 min tops. I was there 35 mins trying to explain that it is factory default set to off because of no controller. Now with the controller it needs to be switched to on. The kid tried but couldn't find anything, relearned the controller and said I would have to take it home and try it with a trailer.
It does nothing, and no brake power to the prong in the socket. All fuses are installed and test good. Even when you manually squeeze it doesn't say trailer disconnected like the old ones 2009-2014. It's just not on yet,help!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:13 PM
New Guy

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fordtrk
Does anyone know what exactly to tell the dealer to do in order to turn on an OEM brake controller?
I installed an OEM controller and went to my local dealer to have it turned on. People on this site say it's 5,10,15 min tops. I was there 35 mins trying to explain that it is factory default set to off because of no controller. Now with the controller it needs to be switched to on. The kid tried but couldn't find anything, relearned the controller and said I would have to take it home and try it with a trailer.
It does nothing, and no brake power to the prong in the socket. All fuses are installed and test good. Even when you manually squeeze it doesn't say trailer disconnected like the old ones 2009-2014. It's just not on yet,help!
When no trailer is connected and you manually operate the TBC, it will ding and say "trailer disconnected."

Sounds like the kid doesn't know what he's doing. Did you ask to speak to the manager? It's really a simple task.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:34 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

The trailer brake controller needs to be enabled in the instrument cluster. The tech needs to use IDS and go to programming > module programming > programmable parameters > personality then next to trailer brake gain check the enable box. It may be a bit different depending on what IDS version they use, but that is the general idea. It's a very simple procedure. Once it's enabled he should run a self test on it to be sure it's working and no codes are set.
The following 2 users liked this post by T_R:
ChicagoJim (09-15-2015), fordtrk (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 08:34 AM

Yes, the service manager is the one that sent me out to explain to the kid about turning it on.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Ok, I hope they know what IDS is. I know he came out with a laptop and plugged in to the obd2 port. Is that the software he opened up maybe? I seen him open things op and basically follow menus. He went to modules and scolled down to TBM and it looked like reloaded that then did the dtc check. Thanks I wrote down your path,now have to decide if I go there or a different dealer.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 AM

T_R if you don't mind me asking, are you a ford tech or do you just know one?

I am grateful for the path but wondered how you remembered it. I was trying to see where he was going but when he got into the software he said he was drawing a blank. I prob led him down the wrong path,I said prob in modules or new modules so that's what made him look for TBM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:32 AM

Well again thanks to T_R. I went back to the dealer that flashed my brake controller and showed them the path that T_R posted. The kid who uses IDS was off so I had to go back this am. It literally took 10 min from when the kid came out and took the truck to when he brought it back and gave me the keys.
The service manager smiled and said, "your already to go" I didn't get charged today just the $20 from the 1st time. My wife said I should have charged them for the aggregation and teaching them how to fix it, lol.
The following users liked this post:
jdp530 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by fordtrk
Well again thanks to T_R. I went back to the dealer that flashed my brake controller and showed them the path that T_R posted. The kid who uses IDS was off so I had to go back this am. It literally took 10 min from when the kid came out and took the truck to when he brought it back and gave me the keys.
The service manager smiled and said, "your already to go" I didn't get charged today just the $20 from the 1st time. My wife said I should have charged them for the aggregation and teaching them how to fix it, lol.

Nice !!

Quick Reply: Dealer doesn't know how to turn on OEM brake controller