Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool new high tech sliding rear window to debut on the 2015.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Default Cool new high tech sliding rear window to debut on the 2015.

Found this article in USA Today this morning. This new window looks pretty cool:

http://usat.ly/VpFutX

Last edited by Adobe2X; 08-15-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Is it just me, or does that 2015 at the start of the vid look like Sunset Met.? That would really **** me off, as them deleting Sunset was a big reason for me buying a 2014.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas Transit
Is it just me, or does that 2015 at the start of the vid look like Sunset Met.? That would really **** me off, as them deleting Sunset was a big reason for me buying a 2014.
You could be right about the color, but the one in the video could just be a pre-production model, painted that color because that's what was available.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

"From the start of the new truck's development, Ford asked truck owners what they wanted from the glass that separates the cab from the open air of the bed."

And apparently no one mentioned they would like what Toyota does with the Tundra where the rear window drops completely into the cab body. Which is by far the best rear window design in the industry.
The following 3 users liked this post by Derodeo:
carryyourbooks (08-25-2014), CHICKS (08-16-2014), eng45ine (08-26-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Derodeo
"From the start of the new truck's development, Ford asked truck owners what they wanted from the glass that separates the cab from the open air of the bed."

And apparently no one mentioned they would like what Toyota does with the Tundra where the rear window drops completely into the cab body. Which is by far the best rear window design in the industry.
Don't lump me into your blanket statement of all of us wanting the entire window to come down. That design has had a few updates over the years; due to the window always leaking, rocks getting in the window track and jamming things up.

So no, I don't want an entire window to come down.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine (on my 2011) leaks every time I wash it, go through a car wash, or get a hard rain. But two different dealers have told me it's normal. Maybe this new design will not leak... now wouldn't that be an improvement.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by snobdds
Don't lump me into your blanket statement of all of us wanting the entire window to come down. That design has had a few updates over the years; due to the window always leaking, rocks getting in the window track and jamming things up.

In addition the leaks and rocks jamming it up, here are a few more drawbacks of the Tundra rear window that someone mentioned on PUTC:

1) As already mentioned, no separation between the cab and bed when the rear window is fully open as it opens fully across instead of a hole in the glass.
2) The Tundra owners manual states that you should not keep the window open while driving, due to the risk of exhaust gasses entering the vehicle, or objects flying out.
3) The headliner gets filthy. Guys have to vaccum their headliner regularly to make it look new. You see the dirt on the back pillars also.
4) An earlier putc report stated that it would be great for kids to play with and climb in and out of, sorry, but that's a safety hazzard - may cause injury or death.
5) Adds weight. While some think it is cool they also think it not necessarily something they would pay extra for. Ford and GM are trying to lose weight and add value.
6) Only available on the CrewMax anyhow.

Last edited by Rambo 2; 08-15-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by snobdds

I found the Tundra's design to be very clean, excellent for ventilation and very useful for passage of large items (including dogs) between cab and bed during the few times I've driven one. It is far better than the GM design I am more familiar with. But I do not own a Tundra nor would I encourage Ford to also incorporate any design failings of their system.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Derodeo

My parents had a 1966 Ford station wagon that had a rear power window that dropped down inside door. It could be operated from the driver's side, or by putting the key in the lock on the back and turning it left or right for up or down.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

that's pretty ugly/goofy looking imo.. and yes I'd much prefer the toyota rear window..

Quick Reply: Cool new high tech sliding rear window to debut on the 2015.