Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constant Steering Wheel Vibration 2016 F-150

Old 03-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Constant Steering Wheel Vibration 2016 F-150

My truck has a constant vibration in the steering wheel unlike any vehicle I’ve driven (and I have driven 100’s). I can best describe it as a frequency that feels induced into the steering wheel. This truck is equipped with the lane keeping system but this is not the warning or correction. It happens with the system on or turned off (more on that later). So far the dealer balanced the tires, road force balanced and rotated the tires. Various pressures have been tried. I never felt this was a tire issue as it feels more isolated to the steering wheel. The truck rides very smooth (have to take hands off the wheel to appreciate). The sensation is so irritating that on longer trips the hands get numb.

The dealer spoke to Ford representatives and they said it most likely is a characteristic of the truck. It seems the lane keeping system is never really “off” even when the function is off. They claim the truck is programmed to constantly compensate, to some degree, to road conditions. One example is road crown. So yesterday I went in and drove a truck very similar to mine. Guess what, it had the same vibration in the wheel as mine does. Both the technician and service manager acknowledged the feeling in the wheel.

If this is characteristic of the lane keeping system I’m surprised I haven’t heard more. It makes driving this truck annoying and completely unacceptable. My hope is Ford is looking into this and going to offer a fix to make what would be a great truck a pleasure to drive.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the exact same vibration in the steering, but also notice it in the gas pedal at the same exact frequency, but only when coasting and I can just rest my foot on the gas pedal. It's extremely annoying. I had a loaner XLT with 18" wheels while my front diff was replaced and it did not have this problem, so I wasnt' sure if it was the 18 vs 20" or maybe the fact the XLT doesn't have the lane keep assist.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had some power steering wander problems and had the recent tsb done for that (a power steering control module software update). It fixed those issues but now I feel a very fine vibration in the wheel that wasn't there before. That leads me to conclude it's something with the power steering system.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:52 AM

I also drove an XLT (575 miles) when my truck was in for another issue. That truck did not have the lane keeping and did not have the vibration. I'm convinced it's in that system.

Interesting JPMedico didn't have the issue prior to the TSB being done. I haven't heard anything about this on the 2015's and am curious if that change now is causing the issue.

Anyone with Lane Keeping who doesn't have the vibration?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Is it like a reverberation from down the column like a loose linkage?
Old 03-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 1,266 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by artig
My truck has a constant vibration in the steering wheel unlike any vehicle I’ve driven (and I have driven 100’s). I can best describe it as a frequency that feels induced into the steering wheel. This truck is equipped with the lane keeping system but this is not the warning or correction. It happens with the system on or turned off (more on that later). So far the dealer balanced the tires, road force balanced and rotated the tires. Various pressures have been tried. I never felt this was a tire issue as it feels more isolated to the steering wheel. The truck rides very smooth (have to take hands off the wheel to appreciate). The sensation is so irritating that on longer trips the hands get numb.

The dealer spoke to Ford representatives and they said it most likely is a characteristic of the truck. It seems the lane keeping system is never really “off” even when the function is off. They claim the truck is programmed to constantly compensate, to some degree, to road conditions. One example is road crown. So yesterday I went in and drove a truck very similar to mine. Guess what, it had the same vibration in the wheel as mine does. Both the technician and service manager acknowledged the feeling in the wheel.

If this is characteristic of the lane keeping system I’m surprised I haven’t heard more. It makes driving this truck annoying and completely unacceptable. My hope is Ford is looking into this and going to offer a fix to make what would be a great truck a pleasure to drive.
Was yours built after the new steering program came out on September 24 2015?
Old 03-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 339 Likes on 191 Posts

I also drove an XLT (575 miles) when my truck was in for another issue. That truck did not have the lane keeping and did not have the vibration. I'm convinced it's in that system.

Interesting JPMedico didn't have the issue prior to the TSB being done. I haven't heard anything about this on the 2015's and am curious if that change now is causing the issue.

Anyone with Lane Keeping who doesn't have the vibration?
Mine is a 2015 with the lane keeping system. No vibration at all unless the system gives me the normal warning. Just in regular driving there's no vibration at all.

Since you guys are talking about 2016's mostly I don't know if that helps.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I took an XLT for a test drive and it didn't have lane keep assist. But, I felt like I was fighting the steering system trying to drive in a straight line. It felt like it was nudging me to to the left or right. My 2010 without EPAS didn't do this.

Last edited by seadragon; 03-21-2016 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lfuze (07-25-2020)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015F150Platinum4x4
Mine is a 2015 with the lane keeping system. No vibration at all unless the system gives me the normal warning. Just in regular driving there's no vibration at all.

Since you guys are talking about 2016's mostly I don't know if that helps.
i was gonna suggest turn off the lane keeping . i had mine on n i was like why the book is it vibrating when i try n change lanes lol
Old 05-25-2016, 11:50 PM

Default 2016 f150 vibration

I have the same vibration,dealer states its within ford vibration specs
1-2 hour drive and hands and feet are numb
Truck has very poor steering too you feel like you are fighting it to drive straight and is very loose feeling at low speeds
Dealer states its normal
Worst new truck i have ever driven, very disapointing
Not sure of the next step besides a different truck.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Constant Steering Wheel Vibration 2016 F-150