Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering dropping Ecoboost for 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Considering dropping Ecoboost for 5.0

I don't want to start another Ecoboost vs. 5.0l debate but a number of factors have been accumulating over the past few weeks to make me think I might have made a mistake in ordering the Ecoboost engine. I believe I can still change my order as my dealer doesn't expect to have an allocation until the beginning of February.

Costs aren't that critical to my decision but they are always a consideration. I'm buying a high-end truck and the Ecoboost with it's low-end torque and better performance and theoretically better mileage seemed liked the way to go. If I change to the 5.0 I'll save $774 (Cdn. invoice) on the cost of the engine upgrade but much of that would be absorbed in the cost of a possible axle upgrade (see below). Performance wise I'm actually very content with my current GMC 2500 6.0l with its measly 300hp (not sure of torque). Fuel consumption on that engine is downright scary though.

I'm not one to quickly trade in my vehicles so I expect to have this truck long after the warranty expires. Longevity and maintenance costs definitely seem to be on the side of the simpler 5.0. I am considering an extended warranty, does extended warranty generally cost more for the Ecoboost?

I still haven't read anything detailed about what Ford might have done to improve the 2015 Ecoboost in those areas where there have been many complaints (fuel dilution, timing chain stretch, water ingestion, etc.). Meanwhile Ford's modest improvements to the 2015 5.0 is encouraging news.

I continue to be disappointed overall in real life fuel mileage figures for the Ecoboost to the point that I can see no noticeable long-term fuel savings with that engine - at least not without making a conscious effort to stay out of boost.

I do believe it is wise to have a high quality catch can setup on any forced induction direct injection engine, particularly one like the Ecoboost with its highly suspect PCV design. Again if I wouldn't be keeping the truck long, this concern would be greatly diminished. Although probably still a good idea on the 5.0, it isn't nearly as important on naturally aspirated, non-direct injection. A cost savings of $400+ would result from not getting one but more importantly is the warranty concern - I've already been told by my dealer's service manager my warranty would be voided by its installation (other dealers are apparently more open-minded on this subject).

I won't be towing heavy, at least not at highway speeds or for long distances.
Choice of axle ratio; I liked the 3.55 locking for the ecoboost but I'm thinking the 3.73 for the 5.0 may be roughly equivalent. It's a $344 (Cdn. invoice) option over the 3.55. I do wonder if it's worth it.

The whole mess with the artificial noise enhancement crap with no means of disabling it may be the last straw. I don't much care that it's there but I do want to upgrade the stereo system and that seems to be a possible no-go with the 2015 Ecoboost according to some users early experience. Would have been nice for Ford to help resolve this issue.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

You don't tow heavy or often, and longevity ranks high up on your priority list. I would go with the 5.0. Just make sure you get 3:73s and it will be more than sufficient for your needs. It sounda like you pretty much already made up your mind anyways and just want us to justify your decision.
The following users liked this post:
I_Bleed_Blue (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

I will preface my comments by saying that both the 5.0 and 3.5 Eco are great engines. My situation appears to be similar to yours - don't need all the power in the world, and I value reliability, as this is a long term vehicle for me. For those reasons and others, I went 5.0. Because I don't tow constantly and I wanted a nice blend of performance and MPG, I went with 3.55 gears. In my opinion, you don't need 3.73s unless you tow a bunch or are putting big, heavy tires on. These trucks move pretty good as it is.

I will say, the audio fiasco we've been reading about lately has me feeling even better about my 5.0 choice.

Best of luck in your decision.
The following 4 users liked this post by pb65stang:
daf62757 (01-21-2015), GetYaFordOn (01-22-2015), I_Bleed_Blue (01-21-2015), sunset (01-25-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pb65stang
I will preface my comments by saying that both the 5.0 and 3.5 Eco are great engines. My situation appears to be similar to yours - don't need all the power in the world, and I value reliability, as this is a long term vehicle for me. For those reasons and others, I went 5.0. Because I don't tow constantly and I wanted a nice blend of performance and MPG, I went with 3.55 gears. In my opinion, you don't need 3.73s unless you tow a bunch or are putting big, heavy tires on. These trucks move pretty good as it is.

I will say, the audio fiasco we've been reading about lately has me feeling even better about my 5.0 choice.

Best of luck in your decision.
I'm with this guy...
Old 01-21-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I have another 2.5 years before I have to make the same decision. I love my 3.5 Eco now but I don't tow and lately have been thinking 5.0 in my next truck. I guess by then we will see what the new tranny does for all of the engines and how the 2.7 EB turned out. I would think 3.55's should be plenty for your needs. Good luck with either truck you choose.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:55 PM
LONG TIME FORD GUY

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

"I will preface my comments by saying that both the 5.0 and 3.5 Eco are great engines. My situation appears to be similar to yours - don't need all the power in the world, and I value reliability, as this is a long term vehicle for me. For those reasons and others, I went 5.0. Because I don't tow constantly and I wanted a nice blend of performance and MPG, I went with 3.55 gears. In my opinion, you don't need 3.73s unless you tow a bunch or are putting big, heavy tires on. These trucks move pretty good as it is.

I will say, the audio fiasco we've been reading about lately has me feeling even better about my 5.0 choice."

DITTO!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I have convinced myself the 5.0L is a better choice for me. Still unsure as to the axle ratio, sort of feel that now I've given up on outright performance I may as well take the little bit of gas savings and go for with the 3.55. I actually do tow a fair bit but it is typically only 3000 - 4000 lb trailers. Won't be changing tires unless it is to go to 18" wheels instead of 20".

Now to deal with the sales manager at my dealership - I've gotton the impression he really hates order changes and all I've done previously is drop those sad OEM floor mats.

Last edited by Derodeo; 01-21-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:13 PM
LONG TIME FORD GUY

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I am much like you . I tend to keep these trucks a while. very little towing and I wanted the simplicity and reliability of the 5.0. traded my 95 @ 200K... will trade my 05 around 250K so maybe the 15 will be my 300K truck... just saying
Old 01-21-2015, 05:26 PM

I recall why it was I starting thinking I needed the Ecoboost in the first place. Before the 2015 specs were available I was expecting the Max. Tow package (only available with the EB) would increase GVWR like it always has in the past. Towing heavy isn't my need but greater payload would have been very useful to me. But there's no change to GVWR in 2015. Thought the EB would just be more fun to drive so I kept it on the order but now I see it's probably not worth the hassles.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

I have to say that I'm impressed that this thread has not turned into a pissin match between the 5.0 and the EB.

All very good posts and both are great engines.
The following 3 users liked this post by justjimmy:
countrysquire (01-21-2015), LyteFly (01-21-2015), screamineagle (01-21-2015)

Quick Reply: Considering dropping Ecoboost for 5.0