Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers with spacer level

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 197 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Coilovers with spacer level

So I keep teetering and tottering back and forth on how I want to level my truck. I have a readylift 2.25 spacer, but I plan on adding 285/65r20 bfg ko2s down the road and it seems like everyone who has these tires loves how much better new coilovers handle the extra unsprung weight. The reason I am hesitant to buy coilovers such as the Boss or Icon is I love the super soft street ride from the factory suspension.

So my question is this.....coilovers provide a level by compressing the spring which in turn stiffens up the front suspension. What if I bought a Boss set of coilovers and left them at 0" of lift and then strapped my 2.25 leveling kit on top? That way I have better shocks to handle the extra tire weight, and maybe the front would ride as plush as factory or no?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The springs are not compressing on the coil overs by adjusting the height, you are merely extending the shock a little more to give the extra height. The same weight is riding on the shock whether it is at 0" or 2". What you will lose is a little bit of down travel from the shocks but you will have additional up travel from the static position. I cant see that you would gain anything a all by leaving them at 0 and adding a spacer.
The following users liked this post:
baxzilla (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM

Oh dang ok. I must have misunderstood completely. I was under the impression that the adjustment on the coilover compressed the spring which in turn cause the shock to be stiffer and not allow the truck to droop as easily (therefore lifting the front). So going by what you're saying a spacer is just pointless. Dang

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeofTruck
The springs are not compressing on the coil overs by adjusting the height, you are merely extending the shock a little more to give the extra height. The same weight is riding on the shock whether it is at 0" or 2". What you will lose is a little bit of down travel from the shocks but you will have additional up travel from the static position. I cant see that you would gain anything a all by leaving them at 0 and adding a spacer.
With respect, that's not how it works.

To use a coilover to lift the front the only way to do it is to preload the springs. If you could move the entire spring up or down then it wouldn't have an impact but since one end remains static and the other is moved (tighten or loosen) with a spanner then the spring is compressed or decompressed.

Coilovers with spacer level-photo506.jpg

You can see from the pic that by tightening (shortening the distance from cup to top) you are in fact compressing the spring. This lifts the front up but also makes the ride more stiff. The more you compress the spring the stiffer the ride.

To the OP, the best way to level is with an adjustable coilover (~2") any more and I would recommend getting an actual lift. Lift pucks are garbage and put undue stress on front end components. Can you get away with a 1-2" inch puck? Probably, and lots of folks do with no real problems. My .02, do it right the first time. Spend a little more and get the right gear. It's always worth it in the long run.
baxzilla (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by WarSurfer

To use a coilover to lift the front the only way to do it is to preload the springs. If you could move the entire spring up or down then it wouldn't have an impact but since one end remains static and the other is moved (tighten or loosen) with a spanner then the spring is compressed or decompressed.

Attachment 399018

You can see from the pic that by tightening (shortening the distance from cup to top) you are in fact compressing the spring. This lifts the front up but also makes the ride more stiff. The more you compress the spring the stiffer the ride.

To the OP, the best way to level is with an adjustable coilover (~2") any more and I would recommend getting an actual lift. Lift pucks are garbage and put undue stress on front end components. Can you get away with a 1-2" inch puck? Probably, and lots of folks do with no real problems. My .02, do it right the first time. Spend a little more and get the right gear. It's always worth it in the long run.
Thanks! Is there any brand in particular you can recommend for the best street ride? I've heard most brand ride nice but they stiffen up the truck.

I guess I'm one of the few people who like to feel like they're riding in a caddy lol.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by WarSurfer

OK, so after looking at this style of coilover looks like by adjusting the amount of preload you are effectively controlling the amount of compression in turn the about of final lift.

More Preload = Less sag = More lift = Stiffer ride (More up travel/Less Down travel)
Less Preload = More sag = Less lift = Softer ride (Less up travel/more Down Travel)

Doesn't seem there is preload AND height adjustment like I am used to, thats my bad. Is that the case for all the F150 Coilovers?

Anyway, if my information was incorrect my apologies.
Attached Thumbnails Coilovers with spacer level-coilover.jpg  

Last edited by DukeofTruck; 10-25-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

bax, I went from a 2.5 auto spring spacer to the boss coilivers. The ride improved noticeably getting rid of the spacers, it's not stock smooth, but pretty close. My KO2 LT tires had more effect on ride quality and making the truck stiffer vs the stock hankooks (oem 20") in my opinion.
baxzilla (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:35 PM

Edited above post

Last edited by DukeofTruck; 10-25-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 PM

Not too sure I understand what you are saying, if you are compressing the spring (Preload) so that the bottom cup and upper cup are now shorter distance then you are not getting any additional lift. You are indeed getting a stiffer ride without the benefit of lift? Now if preload is the only adjustment available on the F150 Coilovers then I dont see how you can adjust ride height unless you back the preload off so much that you drop the front end down? Anyway, if my information was incorrect my apologies.
Ok, you got me on a technicality. Let me clarify;
When you have finished installing your coilovers (pretend they are set at 0 or neutral), when you lower the jack the coilovers take the weight of the truck and will settle - the front will continue to drop until the coil springs take the total weight. If you crank up the preload by compressing the spring then the point at which the front stops settling will be higher than the neutral setting. It is in effect 'lifting' the front higher than it would be otherwise. This is the rub though, because by compressing the spring for this effect, you essentially eliminate the 'soft' part of the spring and the ride is impacted.

To the OP on the question about ride - just dig a little (call the companies if necessary) and pick the coilovers with the lightest spring weight, that will give the softest ride - if that s indeed your goal.
baxzilla (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:41 PM

OK, so after looking at this style of coilover looks like by adjusting the amount of preload you are effectively controlling the amount of compression in turn the about of final lift.

More Preload = Less sag = More lift = Stiffer ride (More up travel/Less Down travel)
Less Preload = More sag = Less lift = Softer ride (Less up travel/more Down Travel)

Doesn't seem there is preload AND height adjustment. thats my bad, is that the case for all the F150 Coilovers?
Bingo. To my knowledge, yes.
DukeofTruck (10-25-2015)

Quick Reply: Coilovers with spacer level