Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean paint off of door handles

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean paint off of door handles

I just got a used 2015 XLT and it looks like the previous owner was a painter... there's white paint all over the inside part of the door handles (see picture).

Does anyone know how I can get that off or if I even can?

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

That looks more like wax, and there are a few options to remove that. I find rubbing alcohol works great...
The following users liked this post:
o0MEGA0o (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Be careful with the alcohol on the plastic. At least dilute it. You can fade out the plastic.

Rules of Detailers, find out what it is and then use the least aggressive method to remove.

If it is indeed wax, Mothers Heavy Duty Back-to-Black should work.

If it's home paint I would try to figure out what type. Solvent or water-based. Most home paints are water-based these days. Do a test spot with least aggressive first until something works.

I know mineral spirits will be brought up, it is usually ok on plastics but still do a test spot and don't apply to much straight to the plastic at once. Use a tooth brush. I'd only go to this after you've tried other stuff first.

Take a look at Autogeek forums.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! There are also some little specs of white paint on the steering wheel so I'm pretty sure it's paint rather than wax. Considering it's white I'm guessing it's some water based interior paint but I really have no way of knowing - I bought it through Carmax so all I know about the previous owner is "fleet, rental or lease."

If it's paint, would mineral spirits work or would you start with diluted rubbing alcohol?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by barryman9000
Thanks for the suggestions! There are also some little specs of white paint on the steering wheel so I'm pretty sure it's paint rather than wax. Considering it's white I'm guessing it's some water based interior paint but I really have no way of knowing - I bought it through Carmax so all I know about the previous owner is "fleet, rental or lease." If it's paint, would mineral spirits work or would you start with diluted rubbing alcohol?
Id start with a All Purpose Cleaner, then degreaser, maybe a plastic safe bug and tar remover, then goo gone, then diluted 50/50 alcohol, then mineral spirits. If one starts to remove it don't go to the next, just take your time and work on it as long as needed.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:55 AM

Sounds absolutely stupid but I have used smooth peanut butter in the past to get wax off of textured plastic.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was a painter and we used to get house paint on our vehicles. Periodically I would use some hot soap and water with a tooth brush to remove the latex paint residues. Goo Gone and mineral spirits (not mixed together) are the next level for stubborn marks.

If the steering wheel is leather then make sure to condition after cleaning.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:19 PM

Follow up: I just used a magic eraser (from Target) which got all the paint/white stuff off. Then I used a tooth brush with some soapy water to get any left overs off. The handles look a little "dry" so I might need to treat them with something else but at least the paint is gone!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Get some Meguiars Ultimate Black or Mothers Back to Black, that stuff works really well.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Mothers Back to Black works great getting dried wax out of texture black plastic.

Quick Reply: Clean paint off of door handles