Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the cause of the moonroof sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Is this the cause of the moonroof sound?

I was so annoyed today by the sound that I about punched a hole in the ceiling when i decided to take a more civilized and methodical approach. I felt around and made similar movements that the truck might make throughout the area where i heard the noise. It (on my truck) seemed to come only from the passenger side and towards the gap between the two roof glass panels. The noise sounds like two pieces of tempered glass rubbing together or a rattling or loose screw or something rolling around up there.

Here is what I found, maybe it is different for everyone, but maybe someone can see if this helps them.

Between the two panels is a noise / rain catch made of plastic. It is spring loaded and will pull down out of the way. If you notice it has foam on it from touching the glass and to make a nice seal for air and water leaks. however towards the last 1" of that plastic piece they stop using foam tape and the roof lines of the truck have a radius. This is where the plastic touches the truck. In my case, this is where the rattle / grinding noise is coming from.

Maybe this is not the case for anyone else, or maybe there are 2 areas that are causing noise. I am in the midst of trying to add foam there to see if it stops completely. I will know tomorrow when i put in the foam. But it also still could be the glass panels, it just could be 2 things causing the noises. But everytime the noise is happening, I push on the panels in different locations with no resolve and have never been able to reproduce the sounds when pushing on the glass, I have been able to when pushing on the plastic part where I pointed out though .....

Last edited by CHIBULLSAN; 03-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The noise on mine sounded similar but was over the driver's side. I think it ended up being a cable slapping inside the track. The dealer replaced the entire tray/track/mechanism. I still have the original glass panels. BTW, I had tried holding the part you're talking about away from the panels but it had still made the noise.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

That's the same place mine appears to be coming from. When I hear the noise when driving I can put my hand on that rail you mentioned and it seems to deaden the sound.

Good luck--I anxiously await your results!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Why start s new thread?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 AM
nad

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Mine sounds like it's coming from he same place, I'll test some foam in there today.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

I don't have any sound, yet. Hope I don't jinx myself!

Quick Reply: Is this the cause of the moonroof sound?