Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide between 2.7 and 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Can't decide between 2.7 and 3.5

This is a long post but if you can make it through it and give any advice it would be appreciated:

Definitely decided that I'm going with an ecoboost, but trying to decide which one is the best for me. I have test driven all 3 engines, however I drove the 2.7 a month or so before driving the 3.5, so really don't have a good idea of how they compare with each other. At first I was just going to say 3.5 because it seems that is the most common, and I tend to have the mind set of "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". Then I came across a post in searching out the 2.7 regarding the kind of gas mileage people were getting, and that's when I turned an eye towards it.

To the 2.7 owners: are you satisfied with it? Getting decent mileage?? Have you towed with it?

To the 3.5 owners: Why did you go with the bigger engine? Ever feel like you would have been happy with the 2.7?

This will be my first full size truck. Looking to order a '16 Screw, 4x4 (refer to my mindset above), Lariat with 502a package. Still waiting to see if they update the build site so you can do 502a with 2.7, everyone says it's supposed to be available. This will be my daily driver and the "family car" for road trips. My commute for work could be 4 minutes up the road or up to an hour drive one way, still waiting to see about that.

As for if I tow anything? I currently am in a 4cyl sorento that I use to tow my 5x8 utility trailer every once in a while when I need some lumber from Lowes, or haul off some cut up yard debris. I don't own a travel trailer and probably don't see myself buying one in the next 10 years. I DO see myself buying a boat (type to be determined) that will be pulled to the lake let's say ~30 miles one way, maybe once or twice a week in the summer, with the occasional 3 hr trip to see the family on the river in FL. For S&G we will say this is gonna be ~5000# but probably less.

Given this info, if you were me, which engine config would you go with?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the 3.5 and wish I would have taken a closer look at the 2.7. I think the 2.7 will easily tow a boat and will get much better fuel economy with everyday driving.

I went with the 3.5 knowing that I may pull a 9k lb trailer. But after experiencing the fuel economy (averaging around 15 mpg around town), I wish I would have taken a closer look at the 2.7.
The following users liked this post:
ja8799 (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also struggled with that question for months while waiting to order a 2016. I have two local friends who both had owned F150's with the 3.5 and had driven them for a couple of years. They both recently traded those in for 2.7's. They both are very satisfied with their new trucks with the 2.7. One of the guys said he liked the power of the 3.5 but could never get much more that mid 15's for mpg with mostly in town driving. Both say they can hardly tell a difference in the power but get much better mpg's. One of them took it on a trip recently to MO with 4 guys and all the luggage for a golf trip. It was quite hilly there and he never lacked power on the trip. I did drive a 3.5 with a 3.31, 3.5 with a 3.55, and a 2.7 with a 3.55 before I ordered. The 3.31 rear axle was turning about 1600 rpm's at 70 mph while both the 3.5 and 2.7 with the 3.55 ratio were turning about 1800 rpm's at the same 70mph. Overall, I could not justify the additional $1023 invoice cost of the 3.5 on the 502A and losing mpg all the time, so I chose the 2.7. I will seldom tow, except for an occasional small trailer with a golf cart. I hope I have made the right choice. Both my friends who had both are very happy with their 2.7's.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I test drove both. Originally planned on going with the 2.7L. But, I am extremely happy with the 3.5L. I checked off a long wish list on this truck and plan to keep it for a long time. I will rarely use 4x4 or tow anything, but I won't hesitate when the opportunity arises. As a daily driver the 2.7L had plenty of power. But, I was a little concerned about the wear on the starter and battery with the Auto-off feature. The difference of 2 or 3 MPG does not matter to me.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That start/stop feature is concerning to me also. My buddy that has the 2.7 routinely turns it off to limit the wear on the starter. That technology has been around for years, but I can't see how it does not create excessive wear if driven in town primarily.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I owned a 13 fx4 with a 3.5 Eco. Loved it for the raw power but never towed and did not need it. Mileage was brutal. 14mpg. All in town driving.

Now have a 15 2.7. Getting 20 mpg in town. Same route. Absolutely love it.

I do not tow anything. Put the 2.7 in sport mode and it flys...absolutely no regrets. Power, good mileage...what more can you ask for???

Hands down winner if you don't tow often in my mind.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

I bought a 2015 lariat 502A and had no interest in a V8 so the 3.5 was forced upon me which was fine because that's what I "thought" I wanted anyway. I test drove an XLT Scab with 2.7 and 3.55 and a Screw with 3.5 and 3.31 gears. I really couldn't tell the difference. I only tow a quad on a 5x8 trailer so a Honda Accord could accomplish that. In hindsight if the 2.7 was available in the 502A package I would have chosen that with 3.73 gears.

I have 3.55 and Max Tow. 80/20 city/highway and I average about 15.4 mpgs. It's about what I figured I would get...unfortunately no where near the stickered rating. It is fun though.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2.7 3.55 gears and tow a 3500 lb boat. Pulls it well with some downshifts in hills. Avg corrected mpg is 18 Canadian mpg. Very happy with the trucks power both normal driving and towing. Amazing the power they get out of an engine that small.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

If you're concerned about MPG, stay away from the 3.5 EB. I've only gotten between 11-13 MPG largely city driving with a completely stock '13 Limited 4x4 with 3.73 lockers.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This is all great info!! Glad to hear the thoughts and reasons behind what is turning out to be a pretty big decision instead of just a post saying "I love my 2.7/3.5". As for that auto stop/start feature, I know that can be disabled, but does it reset every time the truck is actually shut off? So you have to disable it every time you drive? Could be aggravating, but the one I test drove either was not equipped or we didnt stop long enough for it to engage, was a short test drive. I'm also not aware of any of the axles I drove. I know the 2.7 was an XLT and the 3.5 was a lariat sport 502a (basically the truck I want to order with a couple option differences).

I think my next trip to a dealership I need to find 2 trucks as similar as possible (both lariats 4x4 with same options) but with different engines, and drive them both. Like I said before it's been a while since I was in that 2.7 but I do remember thinking right off the bat that thing had some power! I am really starting to seriously consider that as my go to engine. I just keep seeing people talk about how much they tow with the 3.5 and they make it sound so good and I'm like "I honestly don't tow ANYTHING" (at the moment). I think I'd be better off driving everyday and seeing 20+ mpg. I told my wife that if I can get at least 20 mpg I'd be completely happy with it. One thing I have learned is I never trust what that EPA window sticker says

Quick Reply: Can't decide between 2.7 and 3.5