Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can curb rash be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a line on a set of 2012 Harley wheels but they have a lot of curb rash, no dents or cracks. Any idea if these can be sanded out? Filled? Is there a film or clear coat on them? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much! Can curb rash be fixed?-image-2013219413.jpg
Old 09-02-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanCZiegler
Have a line on a set of 2012 Harley wheels but they have a lot of curb rash, no dents or cracks. Any idea if these can be sanded out? Filled? Is there a film or clear coat on them? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much! Attachment 393271
They can be fixed properly, meaning without bondo or jury-rigged fillers.

Best way is to Tungsten them and mount in a rim lathe, depending on how big your city is, shouldn't be too hard to find a reputable place that specializes in rim repair.

I've even seen bent rims fixed and you would never have known they were!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 126 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Can curb rash be fixed?

Yes they can be. Most wheel repairs can actually be done in your driveway or at your job. I had a MBZ wheel repaired while I was home watching TV.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 PM

This something I can't just grind or sand out in my garage? I'm mechanically inclined but this is venturing into the unfamiliar territory for me....
Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

http://www.wheelcollision.com/

Close enough to NJ that you can run them out there. Been around a long time and always heard good things.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

This something I can't just grind or sand out in my garage? I'm mechanically inclined but this is venturing into the unfamiliar territory for me....
You can always try. If you have some good rotary tools, polishing wheels, compounds etc you can certainly make it look much nicer. A wheel repair shop will make it look new in a couple hours. I have cracked wheels and had them successfully repaired. They can even reshape a bent wheel. Price it out and see if it isnt better to just put that money toward the wheels you have been pining after

EDIT: unless THESE are the wheels you have been pining after. Then take the to a shop!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 583 Likes on 444 Posts

There is a rim repair place I have used before on my daughters car. They did a great job. So yes, I think it can be done. Then of course about 2 months after that she did a curb-check again, so the next one was on her dime.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by carrierj
There is a rim repair place I have used before on my daughters car. They did a great job. So yes, I think it can be done. Then of course about 2 months after that she did a curb-check again, so the next one was on her dime.
The place I called wanted $200 per wheel which is too steep for me...
Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Call your local ford dealer and ask which shop they send their rims out to repair the curb rash.

I had 2 rims with some semi serious curb rash on my 2013 Mustang GT and got both 19" Brembo Package wheels to brand new condition for $65.00 each by a shop that specializes in it. Find out who does the work them take the rim to them (versus leaving the truck) it is generally cheaper and quicker that way.

-Mike
Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a line on a set of 2012 Harley wheels but they have a lot of curb rash, no dents or cracks. Any idea if these can be sanded out? Filled? Is there a film or clear coat on them? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much! Attachment 393271

I wkll be checking out http://kwicksilverusa.com/ as they are local and seem to have locakrons nearby. I know post is old but if this helps.

Quick Reply: Can curb rash be fixed?