Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New 2.7L Service Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brand New 2.7L Service Engine Light

Hey guys, just bought a new '15 F150 with the 2.7L and @450 miles on the clock, the service engine light soon(emissions) came on. Of course I freaked out and went straight to my local dealer. They ran the code and turns out that it was some type of exhaust recirc valve that was jammed open. I should have run the code myself so I could better explain it but the lady at the service desk couldn't really explain it well. Said that it won't effect the performance of the truck. The real kicker is that they said this was such a new and rare issue that they don't even have the part in stock and it'll take them a month to get it in. Driving it until they get the part. Thank god for warranties. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this yet. Also wondering if the 2.7 has some type of EGR like the 6.7L diesel in my super duty had. Haven't been able to find any real good literature on the 2.7 yet either.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

If you knew what/where it was, perhaps a tap on it might free it up? Then dealer could replace when new part arrives.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:12 PM

The dealer reset the service code and the wife has been driving while I've been out of town. Light hasn't come back on yet. I couldn't find anything wrong with the way it ran and neither could the Ford tech. It may never come back on but I'm still gonna have them replace the part under warranty.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

I talked to someone with a 3.5 and he had the check engine light on within 1000 miles as well. He said it was an emissions sensor.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:59 AM

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

As far as I know, you have the same issue I did. I don't know what part it was, but they also had the "no part in the entire city of San Diego". Thankfully, instead of telling me it's fine and sending me on my way, the Sales Manager authorized them to pull the part off a brand new 2.7L on the lot. Maybe he did this because the GM of the dealership is a family friend.

Hope you get it worked out. FYI, I'm still waiting on my warranty papers over a month after the initial problem was fixed.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:18 AM

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. They said that, had the recirc valve failed in the closed position, there would have been issues and they would have kept the truck while waiting for the part. Once the part comes in, I'll have it repaired and I'll be on my way. I'm curious to see how many other times this happens or if my situation is just a fluke.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I would like to call this a fluke. I once replaced the alternator in my car twice in the same day because I got a defective part. The parts store told me 3 in ever 10 rebuilt alternators are usually duds. Lots of these parts are made elsewhere if you know what I mean.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by bondtanner
Hey guys, just bought a new '15 F150 with the 2.7L and @450 miles on the clock, the service engine light soon(emissions) came on. Of course I freaked out and went straight to my local dealer. They ran the code and turns out that it was some type of exhaust recirc valve that was jammed open. I should have run the code myself so I could better explain it but the lady at the service desk couldn't really explain it well. Said that it won't effect the performance of the truck. The real kicker is that they said this was such a new and rare issue that they don't even have the part in stock and it'll take them a month to get it in. Driving it until they get the part. Thank god for warranties. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this yet. Also wondering if the 2.7 has some type of EGR like the 6.7L diesel in my super duty had. Haven't been able to find any real good literature on the 2.7 yet either.
Hi bondtanner,

I'll enlist the aid of your regional customer service manager for that light. To get started, please send a PM with your full name, best contact number, VIN, and dealership information.

Chad

Quick Reply: Brand New 2.7L Service Engine Light