Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best leds fog lamp for brightness?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best leds fog lamp for brightness?

Don't care about the intended use of fogs for fog,but just want more light output. Which are the brightest?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by tgseaver
Don't care about the intended use of fogs for fog,but just want more light output. Which are the brightest?
why not? That's the whole point of them. So you can see the road lines in fog. Plus they'll probably blind people. Get some good halogen bulbs they'll be nice and white not blind people and be useful.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 194 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by tgseaver
The HID ones
The following users liked this post:
MGD (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

If you want LEDs for the look, I hear you I'm the same way. If you want something bright and really functional, find yourself a good pair of yellow bulbs. Those will cut through the fog.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Morimoto LED
The following users liked this post:
FX4* (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:03 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by 13.
The HID ones
Yep.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...l#.Vq4f09IrLIU

^^ note the drop-down fer bulbs has a 3000K option.

Now - I suppose you could try these - at least they are of some quality without gimmicky and useless little fans, braided pigtails an' sich. With genuine Lu specs. Most all the other LED offerings are total, over-rated garbage.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...l#.Vq4fKtIrLIU

Note that, in both cases you WILL be incurring Massive, uncontrolled foreground lighting. This will affect yer distance vision. So be aware, and Don't over-drive them.

Note also that yer biggest challenge - given where the fog housings live - will be keeping the assemblies free of water intrusion (and in the case of LEDs, the heatsink free of spooge , which will KILL heat dissipation and toast them in short order).For the HID's, perhaps incorporate a housing cap, and don't spare the silicon dielectric.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ac...l#.Vq4iFNIrLIU

Lastly - other alternatives besides a drop-in replacement bulb: retrofit some projectors, or Rigid DOT cubes. And of course, dedicated TRS XB LED fogs, lol.

MGD
Old 01-31-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm awfully partial to my Morimoto XB LED fog lights. They match the pure white light of my Lariat's LED headlights, have high quality heat sinked aluminum housings and are weathertight.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris6272:
ex250 (01-31-2016), Pulli (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If you want brightness then do the rigid brackets and either 4 DOT pods, or 4 driving series sr pods(not the wides)

I have hids, and I am switching to this setup because hids aren't reliable, I've been running hids for 8 years on various different vehicles, and every winter I have issues with either bulbs, ballasts or grounds. For example, right now my drivers side doesn't work on my 2015. You also have to run a relay harness and a capacitor for them to even work on a 2015+.

Last edited by Toovey2v; 01-31-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:24 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Toovey2v
If you want brightness then do the rigid brackets and either 4 DOT pods, or 4 driving series sr pods(not the wides)

I have hids, and I am switching to this setup because hids aren't reliable, I've been running hids for 8 years on various different vehicles, and every winter I have issues with either bulbs, ballasts or grounds. For example, right now my drivers side doesn't work on my 2015. You also have to run a relay harness and a capacitor for them to even work on a 2015+.
^^^ I've been running them for at least as long - without a single issue. Yes ... in the GWN, lol.

It revolves around (1) quality components (e.g. NO DDM junk or similar), (2) exemplary install and wiring practices, and (3) liberal use of silicon dielectric.

ANY HID install should be using a specific relay harness; and you can get one that is compatible with the 2015+ trucks, so also a non-issue.

BUT - I'm also not condoning the use of a non-DOT system in the fogs, and I did mention Rigids.

However, I'm just answering the OP question's as asked; no judgement.

MGD
Old 01-31-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MGD
^^^ I've been running them for at least as long - without a single issue. Yes ... in the GWN, lol.

It revolves around (1) quality components (e.g. NO DDM junk or similar), (2) exemplary install and wiring practices, and (3) liberal use of silicon dielectric.

ANY HID install should be using a specific relay harness; and you can get one that is compatible with the 2015+ trucks, so also a non-issue.

BUT - I'm also not condoning the use of a non-DOT system in the fogs, and I did mention Rigids.

However, I'm just answering the OP question's as asked; no judgement.

MGD
Agreed, as I have DDM crap, don't ever deal with those guys, worst customer service and even worse product, I went as far as BBB against them and after the manager had some clever words with them, BBB didn't take me seriously even though I documented everything.

Hids do have great output, but I think 4 rigid pods will be brighter on those new brackets.

Quick Reply: Best leds fog lamp for brightness?