Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed rails and 5.5ft bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Bed rails and 5.5ft bed

So i have been researching this extensively to no avail. I saw that a Retrax Pro MX comes with stake pocket cut outs then realized it was only for the 6.5' bed. I realized once I visited a dealer that 5.5ft beds don't have the forward stake pockets. I was settled on the fact I would have to get the 6.5' bed in order to get the stake pockets so I can run bed rails to mount crossbars to put a RTT and bikes while having the Retrax to be able to still access everything in the bed. I looked on auto anything this morning and they sell putco bed rails for a 5.5' bed and say it will fit a 2015. Which led to confusion of course since it conflicts with everything I've seen.

My question is do you have to improvise the location for the forward stake pocket since they don't come on the plastic part of the 5.5' bed? Has anyone done this? I'd prefer the shorter wheel base for over landing a 5.5 vs 6.5 would provide, so this is a pretty important decision for me for purchasing. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Great question, similar situation. Would have loved to know that detail about the lack of stake pockets.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its stake pockets must be there saw a 2015 eith a tool box. 5.5 ft bed. mine has thw 5.5 and upon close expection has the holes for accessories in bed, buut no stake pockets through the plastic. I bet thier underneath the plastic.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by XtraSpclCrspy

Its stake pockets must be there saw a 2015 eith a tool box. 5.5 ft bed. mine has thw 5.5 and upon close expection has the holes for accessories in bed, buut no stake pockets through the plastic. I bet thier underneath the plastic.
Ok. If someone with a short bed could please check that out. It would be much appreciated. I'll try and get to the dealer to verify if I can this weekend. I don't have a problem taking a Dremel to plastic on a $60k truck (ok maybe slight apprehension) or notching the Retrax to make the stake pockets as well if it achieves the functionality I'm looking for with the shorter wheelbase.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Colorado

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 2013, but I believe this applies to the 2015's as well. I installed bullrings on my bed rails, and had to cut the plastic above the bed stake cutouts. They are there on the short beds, but Ford doesn't provide the cutouts in the plastic for some reason.
The following users liked this post:
G8RB8 (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 11:57 AM

Agreed I believe I came to this conclusion (That they were under the bed rail plastic but forgot about the theory.) Thanks for bringing it up again. Guess I have to remove the retrax (Had it installed) to make the modification to get the stake back.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdog0411
I have a 2013, but I believe this applies to the 2015's as well. I installed bullrings on my bed rails, and had to cut the plastic above the bed stake cutouts. They are there on the short beds, but Ford doesn't provide the cutouts in the plastic for some reason.
Thanks for this. I didn't really have a use for the longer bed on the day to day commute or most of my adventures, it may be a bit of modding but at the end of the day it's just plastic. It's not as expensive to replace.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by coastdweller
Agreed I believe I came to this conclusion (That they were under the bed rail plastic but forgot about the theory.) Thanks for bringing it up again. Guess I have to remove the retrax (Had it installed) to make the modification to get the stake back.
If you do this, can you post pics of your modification to both the plastic and the Retrax (assuming you modify the retrax as well so you can reinstall it). That would be awesome and judging by the views this post has received, will probably help answer a lot of other people's questions regarding this topic.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:33 PM

I believe its answered, even though its older it fits our exact curiosity.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/f150-5...on-faq-181281/
Old 08-21-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XtraSpclCrspy

Pretty truck (Mine is exactly the same!)
We want to get an raised rack to put a couple of kayaks on but have a tonnuea cover (soft, roll up) I went to a 'rack' place that sold Thule and he said they wouldn't out anything on because they didn't know what was under the plastic covers on the side of the bed.
I am really interested to see if ReTrak has something - what I want is just a slider installed that I can slip a rack into.

Quick Reply: Bed rails and 5.5ft bed