Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BakFlip F1 vs. Undercover Flex

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 189 Likes on 120 Posts

Default BakFlip F1 vs. Undercover Flex

I apologize if this has been covered but researching folding Tonneaue covers. After a lot of reading I pretty much had my mind made up on going with the BakFlip F1. Took a trip to my local Line-X shop today and was steered towards the Undercover Flex. The salesman said he had seen a few isolated incidents of the BakFlip scratching people's trucks when fully opened after extended long term use. He also told me there were workarounds to this and had no problem selling and installing but did offer an alternative. The Undercover Flex is what he suggested and said it has provisions that prevent this and said it's his personal recommendation over the BakFlip. He was adamant in also saying the BakFlip is a great product and very high quality but that the Undercover Flex is a bit cheaper and of the same quality. I can get the Line-X Platinum bedliner spray and Flex for $1,400.00 installed and that seems like a pretty fair price. The F1 and toolbox was going to run me right around $1,300.00 and I'm thinking of going with the package deal he suggested. Reviews I've read on the Undercover Flex seem very positive.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,710 Posts

2 years and no issues with my BF F1.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Truck Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned a Bakflip G2 and 2 F1's and have never had my cab scratched not any other issues with them. Very solid covers and provide good protection from water. No cover will be perfect. The shop I purchased mine in my town who actually promote the Undercover Flex said my choice of the F1 was a solid one. Cannot comment too much on experience with the undercover flex but for a better price have you considered the Bakflip Fibermax? My friend has purchased them on his trucks and cannot notice a difference to the F1.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed the undercover. It is all personnel choice. They basically took the backflip design and copied it. They are both good
Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 PM

To be honest the price difference is not really a deciding factor in the decision. What I want is the highest quality and best performance long term as I plan on keeping my '15 Platinum for a long time. Reviews for both seem favorable and the only negative constant I've read on the Undercover seem focused on the hard plastic drain tube which to me seems trivial. Plus I live in Missouri and Undercover resides here so I feel I'm helping to support a local business (something we should all do more of.) Again I'd like to reiterate he was very complimentary of BakFlip covers and said I'd be more than happy with the F1 but offered the Undercover as an alternative. When I asked what he would put on his truck he pointed towards the parking lot and said come take a look. There sat his 2012 XLT with the Undercover Flex looking brand new after 3 years. I was impressed and to be honest swayed towards it.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't speak to the undercover but seems odd to me. It's weather stripping that sits against your truck in the rare case it's all the way open. Worst case just change it for new weather strips. I love my bakflip!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Taylor Pogue
Can't speak to the undercover but seems odd to me. It's weather stripping that sits against your truck in the rare case it's all the way open. Worst case just change it for new weather strips. I love my bakflip!
Thanks for the reply. I've yet to read anything near constant in regards to negative reviews with the F1 and thus the reason for my thread. I haven't made up my mind and still may go with the BakFlip. I just want to make an informed and thorough decision and value the feedback on this forumn.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:00 PM

I think the bakflip just looks so clean
Old 07-30-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Taylor Pogue
I think the bakflip just looks so clean
No doubt it's very clean looking and great looking truck! The Flex looks very similar and I might be splitting hairs with this decision. My thinking is many more people have the BakFlip cover and therefore since it is such a great tonneau I'm going to be steered in that direction due to more people owning it. Tough decision but I still like the idea of supporting a local company. Here's a pic of the Undercover Flex…
Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 PM

Wow yeah didn't realize they were so similar

Quick Reply: BakFlip F1 vs. Undercover Flex