Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad bad door latches

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 633 Likes on 329 Posts
Default Bad bad door latches

So I have already replaced the driver's front door latch because it would not work when cold. Now both rear door latches won't work when it gets down to 20 degrees F. i read the TSB 15-0052 about these about blowing them out and re-lube but this is crap. I wonder if any cold weather testing was even done. Some engineer needs to be spanked. They work manually but won't work electrically until they are above freezing. Be careful, you may be walking away from your unlocked truck when it is cold out and not know it if you only rely on the horn beep.
The following users liked this post:
newfie#2 (02-12-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVININCHICAGO
So I have already replaced the driver's front door latch because it would not work when cold. Now both rear door latches won't work when it gets down to 20 degrees F. i read the TSB 15-0052 about these about blowing them out and re-lube but this is crap. I wonder if any cold weather testing was even done. Some engineer needs to be spanked. They work manually but won't work electrically until they are above freezing. Be careful, you may be walking away from your unlocked truck when it is cold out and not know it if you only rely on the horn beep.

From what I remember correctly it was the grease that was used in a few build dates that was to blame. Not cold weather testing. I mean come on now you really think Ford wouldn't weather test their bread and butter??

Although this isn't the F-150 its the same facility it was tested in

Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 AM

sure... but did they lock the doors? I keep hearing the little voice in my head -- Don't buy first year... Don't buy first year.... Don't buy first year... my '06 truck in the driveway is starting to look better all the time. Everything works on that one.
kendive (02-08-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting to know about the grease thing. Guess they used the same latches in much later builds than what the TSB outlines.

The one door I had trouble with is still working ok after the dealer did the blow out, relube, etc thing. I've been keeping an eye on the latches especially since my truck lives outside all of the time.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's weird I've had my truck in -10 locked with no issues. This must be earlier models.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Went by dealer. Owner of dealership had a platinum built in September that he could not open his rear doors either until it was was warmed up. Now his truck should not be under the TSB that stated trucks built before April had problems. Mine was built March 15. Like his, my door locks became operational above freezing. There is an engineering flaw somewhere. What or where the freezing is taking place is not known. Just for giggles, blew out the latches with compressed air without taking them apart. Then filled it up with spray lube to displace any moisture. We will see what happens now. As stated before the locks work fine manually. Just won't operate electrically. There is no binding at all when cold. Need to figure this out soon. The new F250 has the exact same cabin as the F-150 next year. Found out there is a recall on new Fusions also for door actuators & latches. Wonder if it is the same vendor.
Livoniabob (01-02-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

This happened to my truck this week. Temps below freezing (mid-20s) and frost overnight. For two days the rear doors would not open, being locked and unable to unlock them. Finally, after sitting in the sun and with temps in the upper-30s, they asserted working again.

Note that I tried every method for unlocking, from key fob to keyless (proximity) to keypad to door mount d power lock switches to pulling up on the little (old school) lock posts in the rear doors ... and nothing. I also climbed in back and tried opening from inside. Nothing. When unlocking, the little posts would pop up and I could hear an electronic noise in the rear door (something I don't normally hear).
Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 AM

so far after blowing out the locks with compressed air without removing them from the door and lubing them with spray lube, they worked this morning in below freezing temps. I even went and washed it a day ago just to aggravate the situation after the blow out was done. We will see if it reoccurs.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by kwalt21
From what I remember correctly it was the grease that was used in a few build dates that was to blame. Not cold weather testing. I mean come on now you really think Ford wouldn't weather test their bread and butter??

Cold Weather Testing the 2015 Ford F-150 - YouTube

Although this isn't the F-150 its the same facility it was tested in

2017 Ford Super Duty Deep Freeze Testing: When -20F is balmy - YouTube
That's probably the same day they tested the seat coolers. Engineers are people, they design things and they design ways to test said things. It doesn't always translate to real world conditions.

Last edited by l3rian; 01-04-2016 at 09:56 PM. Reason: SEAT coolers, although heat was an appropriate typo
Old 01-04-2016, 03:03 PM

maybe Ford can go back to the old design because the new design ain't workin' and these cabs will be the new Super Duty cabs later this year. Some engineer better be sweating out the details right now. Last time I had this many problems with door locks it was the 70's and that was expected. When the locks quit, they don't even make a noise like they are trying. Something must be bound up solid with ice or friction from the cold. Maybe if somebody has one replaced they can do an autopsy on the old one for us to see what may be happening. I wonder if the cables may be holding water.

Quick Reply: Bad bad door latches