Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backing 2015 F150 with 35ft trailer into tight spot

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Backing 2015 F150 with 35ft trailer into tight spot

I didn't know where to post this so here goes.....

I have a 2015 f150 5.5 screw. I am buying a 35ft trailer that I want to back into my driveway occasionally. Here is the issue... the road is 23ft wide. The driveway is 17ft wide and 35ft long and at a 90 deg angle to the road. I can back my 22ft trailer like a pro, but this seems tight. Any pointers that are helpful to my issue?

The green is grass that is either a hill, filled with boulders or a neighbors property which cannot be driven on. And as you can see from my little diarahma, I wanted to actually try it in a scale model size to see if it can be done. It seems like I can.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
truckerhat (12-23-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIBULLSAN
I didn't know where to post this so here goes.....

I have a 2015 f150 5.5 screw. I am buying a 35ft trailer that I want to back into my driveway occasionally. Here is the issue... the road is 23ft wide. The driveway is 17ft wide and 35ft long and at a 90 deg angle to the road. I can back my 22ft trailer like a pro, but this seems tight. Any pointers that are helpful to my issue?

The green is grass that is either a hill, filled with boulders or a neighbors property which cannot be driven on. And as you can see from my little diarahma, I wanted to actually try it in a scale model size to see if it can be done. It seems like I can.
Awesome diagram... heres my tip, from what I can see its would be best if your truck was pointing the other direction so as to see the trailer in the drivers side mirror. Use a spotter for the blind spots if you can. As soon as you have the set distance on the drivers side mirror it is easy to keep it the same by just focusing on that mirror. This way you dont get confused. So if you want your trailer to be 12inches from the left side lawn (when sitting in the truck) than you can do so by using just one mirror. Hope im explaining myself properly
Ricktwuhk (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I get what your saying except the right side of the driveway has a small radius that I can use to arc the trailer tires over to get in. The way your suggesting I'd have to try to swing that with a sharp corner, plus I can ensure the spot in front of my house is empty to swing in, otherwise the street is full of cars on my side of the road. But good suggestion.

I'm also considering a wired camera for the trailer to use to help.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

How about a 2016 with PTBA?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:38 AM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Ask the trailer dealer to let you take it home and try. I'm sure they would to make a sale.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:22 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I see you little radius drawn in there, by the way the drawing is great. Exactly how my mind works too.

Looking at that I think you'll be okay. I grew up on farms backing stuff into small spaces (still do) and mgauts has the right idea but on the wrong side of the driveway. You'll need every bit of that curve on the RH side. Even better, if you can ride your trailer wheels over that side a bit it will help you tremendously. I know you said no driving on the green stuff though.

As far as the technique involved you right side trailer tires are the most important thing to watch. (if you have someone spotting you could get away with only watching that right side). Any time you look away from your RH mirror it breaks the flow of the manoeuvre. Start about in the middle of the road far ahead of the driveway. Your job is simply to reverse, start your turn, and keep those RH wheels as far to the right as you can. Hug the RH corner, if you need to gently bump over it that's fine too if it'll get you another couple feet. You certainly won't hurt a tandem axle if you go slow. Pull forward a couple times and you're drinking beers with your trailer in your driveway.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

get a front hitch. Sure you are going to un hook then re hook to the front but you can tread a needle with it.
SilverSurfer15 (01-07-2016)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

With these long trailers I'm surprised they don't have the setup us truck drivers have with 53 foot trailers. We can slide our trailer tandems to the very rear of the trailer. Let's ya back without worrying about the swing of the trailer.

With that. I agree to face your tow vehicle the other way and use your right side mirror. Always avoid blind backing. Also use the term GOAL. Get Out And Look.

You can get a wireless backup camera to mount on the back of the trailer.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:53 PM
F-150 Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Front hitch would be my recommendation as well, outside of what others are saying.

Also, gay and unmanly as it is, check out the trailer valet - looks like a good idea and would possibly be useful in your situation.

https://www.trailervalet.com/shop/trailervaletxl/

They're expensive, but if you have the money it would probably be a good choice. There is also a smaller one rated for lighter trailers that is cheaper - not sure what weight you're towing.

Last edited by blairian; 12-23-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks like it works... Wait for it...

On paper! Get it? Cause the truck is on paper. Lol. My sense of humor kills me.

I guess what I'm saying is you won't know until you try it. You really can't control the turning radius of your model and can defy physics by sliding the front tires. I used to do some AutoCAD work for a civil engineer. We had a program that did basically what you did but there were a crap ton of parameters that came in to play. Turning angle and radius of the vehicle and how much the trailer tires will slide along with many others. The point is, I could play with that all day and get the parking lot as small as possible too complete the necessary turns, but an actual driver may or may not be able to do it. Can you borrow one, test drive, or something? Also, how busy is the street? Looks like you're going to be completely blocking the street every time you hitch and unhitch.

Quick Reply: Backing 2015 F150 with 35ft trailer into tight spot