Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back seat (supercrew) map/reading/dome light not turning off

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back seat (supercrew) map/reading/dome light not turning off

I have a 1 week old screw Lariat, 501A. Here's the scenario . . . It's evening time and 1 of my kids has their map/reading/dome light (the one right above the door) on while I'm driving so they can read. I pull in the driveway and turn off the truck. All the interior lights come on. After exiting the truck and hitting the lock button, all the interior lights dim to off EXCEPT the one in the back that was on while we were driving. The only way I can figure out to turn it off is to unlock the truck (all interior lights turn on), get in the back seat, lock the truck with the remote (that light stays on while others dim). Hit the button on that light, turning it off, then unlocking the truck, getting out, then locking the truck from the outside again. Does it not have a timer of any sort? I didn't try turning it off this evening for at least 10 minutes, so if there is a timer, it's longer than that. I checked the manual for the interior lighting, and also searched the forum.

Any ideas? What am I missing?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

That's normal. My XLT does the same thing. You just need to remember to turn it off before going inside.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. So maybe I'm not crazy. However, what's crazy is I can't turn it off simply by hitting the button on the light. I have to get in, close the door, lock the truck to get the other lights to dim, then hit the button to turn it off, unlock the truck, exit and then re-lock. Any older vehicle just had a switch you could flip.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:10 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah, I have noticed this with all of the lights. Even the front ones. If you hit the button to turn all the interior lights on for example, and then something else causes them to turn on, like opening a passenger door, you have to wait until the timer turns them off (which if they are all on already you can't tell) before you can hit the off button.

It also bothers me that there is an on and an off button, but the on button will also turn lights off on a second press. The off button only turns lights off though... it's another poorly designed system in these trucks we just have to get used to.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:39 AM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Old thread I know, but I can confirm this is still happening with a 2023. Annoying.