Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding puddle lights

Old 01-05-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Adding puddle lights

Hey guys looking at adding puddle lights to my truck I know i could just go buy new mirrors and get some other options I don't need but I happen to have these rigid lights sitting around and this could be a cool project. Since you can buy these lights on eBay for around 20 bucks. So I plan on mounting these to the bottom of my mirrors and running the wiring to the factory wiring harness for the adjustable mirrors. This is where I need help I'm wondering does anyone know what wires I need to tap in to so they will act light factory puddle lights? I have a xlt with the xtr package and stock mirrors
Attached Thumbnails Adding puddle lights-image-3691371045.jpg  
Old 01-05-2016, 08:30 AM

Here's a pic of my truck so you can see the stock mirrors

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance.
Attached Thumbnails Adding puddle lights-image-3573555088.jpg  
Old 01-05-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious about doing this to my truck as well. Originally, since I don't have factory puddle lamps, I had planned on running board lights. Unfortunately I don't think they would survive the winters here. Puddle lamps are my next best option. Looking forward to seeing if this is possible.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:59 AM

I'll be trying to hook these up in a week when I get back from work. I'll take lots of pics and let everyone know how it goes. But was hoping for a wiring diagram for the mirrors. I live in Newfoundland Canada. So the lights on the steps won't last a winter
Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

So the problem is the mirrors with puddle lamps have a 20 pin harness and the standard xl and xlt power mirrors only have a 8 pin harness. So you won't have a wire to tap into on the mirror harness and that will save you a trip of flashing the truck for nothing at the dealer to try and activate that feature.... Most likely you will want to tap into your interior dome lights. Another problem you will face is that the wiring harness for the door isn't easy to run a new wire from inside your door to inside your cab. I've done a lot of reading on all of the wiring and the new trucks are a bitch. Maybe you can consider installing it at the bottom of the rocker panel?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:37 AM

Received 102 Likes on 93 Posts

Can anyone recommend lights that match the trailer backup assist LED? I want to add some to my base mirrors ( power adjust with signals )
Old 07-25-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by brandondpike
Hey guys looking at adding puddle lights to my truck I know i could just go buy new mirrors and get some other options I don't need but I happen to have these rigid lights sitting around and this could be a cool project. Since you can buy these lights on eBay for around 20 bucks. So I plan on mounting these to the bottom of my mirrors and running the wiring to the factory wiring harness for the adjustable mirrors. This is where I need help I'm wondering does anyone know what wires I need to tap in to so they will act light factory puddle lights? I have a xlt with the xtr package and stock mirrors
I have these same "A" series Rigid lights on both my steps. They are completely epoxied and sealed, it doesn't matter what type of winters or salt you have, you are not going to damage these lights. And besides, they have a lifetime warranty so if something does happen Rigid will replace. These things are aluminum and sealed like a rock.. I have had mine 3 years without issue although I do live in Texas so they only get direct water sprayed from the tires.

The best is to trigger off your dome lights since your mirror is not wired for puddle. You can fish the wire through the door to the mirror but its a tough job as there is not much room in the door jam seal boot. Either way the dome is the best option so they light up when you unlock your door from afar and approach your truck at night. I also used the 3M tape mounting option and didn't screw them into the truck... I don't think I could remove them if I wanted to they are stuck so well.
Here are mine.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

As a side note I also added more lights since the first picture. I mounted some up front and in the rear so my truck has 360 degree light when I unlock my doors via remote or open the doors.
This ensures I can see everywhere on the ground around my truck so I don't step on a snake or cow patty in a dark hunting field.
These are all tied to the original "A" series lights I mounted for the steps so they all work together.

The following users liked this post:
16XLT (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Reading through a couple posts were people pointing out that harnesses must be exchanged and dealers have to activate aftermarket lights. Why not connecting the lights to the wires already running on the light switch or permanent 12 volt like in the old days? And if this doesn't work, connect it right to the battery with a switch between.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Papaya
Reading through a couple posts were people pointing out that harnesses must be exchanged and dealers have to activate aftermarket lights. Why not connecting the lights to the wires already running on the light switch or permanent 12 volt like in the old days? And if this doesn't work, connect it right to the battery with a switch between.
Agreed. Or just connecting to the dome light so it works on unlock of the switch.

That's what I will be doing. Not sure how many I am going to run. I like how bright these are so may run a couple on each side. I may have a junction box in the kick panel or behind the seat so I only tap the dome light once and can bring all of the lights to a central point and a single ground. Anybody see any issues in that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding puddle lights