Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding an Amp???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Adding an Amp???

I am very pleased with the head unit and was wondering if there are any benefits to adding an amp and changing out the speakers down the road. Is there any additional bang to get outa the head unit or are you stuck with replacing it or dealing with it.

I'm not to good with radio questions so if I asked a dumb one sorry

To me, heaven would be having the same head unit and adding an amp, bass, and changing speakers.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I am very pleased with the head unit and was wondering if there are any benefits to adding an amp and changing out the speakers down the road. Is there any additional bang to get outa the head unit or are you stuck with replacing it or dealing with it.

I'm not to good with radio questions so if I asked a dumb one sorry

To me, heaven would be having the same head unit and adding an amp, bass, and changing speakers.
What system do you have? I have an XLT WITHOUT Sony system and I did what you are talking about. Put new speakers in front and back doors, two 8 inch subs and a new 5 way amp. My shop wired it so that the new amp connects before the factory and effectively bypassed the stock unit. I kept the same head unit so all my controls work still on the steering wheel. The system absolutely blows the stock stuff out of the water.

WITH SONY: my shop says this can still be done but would require a clean sweep type product (this resets the factory settings and allows them to retune the system to work with your new equipment). THIS IS PRICEY, and they said "We can spend a week in your truck making it perfect" So that's a lot of hours of labor being charged to tune the sound to make it perfect. I am sure they could also just spend a few hours doing it and it would sound just fine.

Hope this helps you.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Very interested in hearing how you did this. I don't have the sony. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

A local shop did it, so I only know so much about it, like you I am not a pro! What I know...front speakers were 6x9 and the rear 6x5. The subs and amp are in a custom box that fits under my rear seat. If you are planning on doing this yourself I really cannot help to much as I don't get all the wiring. I do know that replacing the rear speakers are not nearly as important as the front ones, as those are what you will mostly hear. So that can save some money if you just want to keep the old ones in the back. I would recommend calling a local shop you know or that has some good reviews and see what they think. Depending on how much you want to spend they should be able to come up with a good plan. I think adding anything, even some front speakers and nothing else will make a big change.

Quick Reply: Adding an Amp???