Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise Malfunctions - Scary

Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM
2015 F150 Platinum Black

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Adaptive Cruise Malfunctions - Scary

I own a 2015 F150 Platinum with about 6,000 miles. I am having an ongoing issue with the adaptive cruise control malfunctioning. So the cruise control is set... AT 65 mph... It's sunny outside and I approach a road overpass. AS I approach to go under the bridge, the cruise control suddenly brings on a high braking mode... Worried that the car behind me is going to rear end me I immediately hit the accelerator. My assumption was/is that the shadow under the overpass is being misinterpreted by the vehicle's camera as a vehicle... This situation has also happened while driving on lite colored concrete (almost white) and transitioning to a black asphalt road... Bam!!! The brakes are on and we are rapidly slowly down... In 1,000 miles of highway driving the situation repeated itself about 6 times... The sun has ranged from high in the sky to about 45 degrees to the truck... This situation has also repeated itself when passing a 53 foot truck with the sun on the far side of the truck... The "situation" does not repeat itself at every overpass on aa sunny day or while passing every truck with the sun on the far side of the truck...

Does anyone know if there is a light sensor on the windshield that is used to interpret the light conditions around the truck? The reason I ask this is that there is a sensor below my mirror on the windshield that appears to have some silicon caulking material partially blocking it...

I did take the truck to the dealer three weeks ago and requested that this issue would be reviewed with FMC service... I have yet to hear a response....

Any thoughts are appreciated... For now I drive with my foot in the ready position near the accelerator ready to reverse the sudden de-acceleration.

I might add that my F150 also has the collision avoidance package... I thought that this might be the culprit, but it is not.... I turned the avoidance system off and still had the issue with the cruise control....
Old 04-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Cruising at 70 w/ the Adaptive Cruise on, went under a bridge and the Collision Alert went off and slammed on the brakes. Luckily no one was close behind me. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this experience.
The following users liked this post:
Recycledoug (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Recycledoug
I own a 2015 F150 Platinum with about 6,000 miles. I am having an ongoing issue with the adaptive cruise control malfunctioning. So the cruise control is set... AT 65 mph... It's sunny outside and I approach a road overpass. AS I approach to go under the bridge, the cruise control suddenly brings on a high braking mode... Worried that the car behind me is going to rear end me I immediately hit the accelerator. My assumption was/is that the shadow under the overpass is being misinterpreted by the vehicle's camera as a vehicle... This situation has also happened while driving on lite colored concrete (almost white) and transitioning to a black asphalt road... Bam!!! The brakes are on and we are rapidly slowly down... In 1,000 miles of highway driving the situation repeated itself about 6 times... The sun has ranged from high in the sky to about 45 degrees to the truck... This situation has also repeated itself when passing a 53 foot truck with the sun on the far side of the truck... The "situation" does not repeat itself at every overpass on aa sunny day or while passing every truck with the sun on the far side of the truck...

Does anyone know if there is a light sensor on the windshield that is used to interpret the light conditions around the truck? The reason I ask this is that there is a sensor below my mirror on the windshield that appears to have some silicon caulking material partially blocking it...

I did take the truck to the dealer three weeks ago and requested that this issue would be reviewed with FMC service... I have yet to hear a response....

Any thoughts are appreciated... For now I drive with my foot in the ready position near the accelerator ready to reverse the sudden de-acceleration.

I might add that my F150 also has the collision avoidance package... I thought that this might be the culprit, but it is not.... I turned the avoidance system off and still had the issue with the cruise control....
Originally Posted by Guardian
That exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Cruising at 70 w/ the Adaptive Cruise on, went under a bridge and the Collision Alert went off and slammed on the brakes. Luckily no one was close behind me. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this experience.
I'll get the two of you escalated to your regional customer service managers for further assistance. Please send a private message my way with each of your full name, VIN, current mileage, servicing dealership, and best daytime contact number.

Brittany
The following 9 users liked this post by FordService:
Blackie15 (02-29-2016), Joseph Hoolihan (11-05-2015), NA_WreckDiver (03-10-2016), Paul Gassler (04-29-2015), pbyrum3 (03-10-2016), QuickM3 (08-13-2015), Russ103 (05-09-2015), solarity (10-11-2016), Ur Lzn (05-09-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 PM
2015 F150 Platinum Black

You might check the sensor that is located at the center top of your windshield... about 4' 6" below the top of the windshield. My sensor has silicon caulking partially blocking it... My dealer just finished talking to FMC...FMC agrees this may be the culprit... However FMC wants the dealer technician to duplicate the problem while driving my Truck before FMC will give the green light to fixing the sensor blockage...

The sensor looks like a small electric eye sitting behind your windshield. There is a fairly large "window" in the blackout area at the center top of the windshield and then there is a "peephole" sized window above this large "window". The silicone is blocking my peephole sized window...
Old 04-29-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 98 Likes on 69 Posts

Interesting info. I was under the assumption that both the Adaptive Cruise and Accident Avoidance Warning were both controlled by the radar unit that sits under the black cap on the drivers side of the front license plate and that the camera at the top of the windshield was for seeing the lines for the Lane Departure feature.

I would love to know if that's not the case.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by steevr
Interesting info. I was under the assumption that both the Adaptive Cruise and Accident Avoidance Warning were both controlled by the radar unit that sits under the black cap on the drivers side of the front license plate and that the camera at the top of the windshield was for seeing the lines for the Lane Departure feature.

I would love to know if that's not the case.
My understanding of it as well.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:53 PM
2015 F150 Platinum Black

This is not the "camera hole" in the windshield... This is a small peephole sized window above the camera.... And this is what is partially blocked by silicone... DP
Old 04-29-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My adaptive cruise doesn't like tanker trucks. If I am passing one I have deactivate the system or it will slam on the brakes. Scary as hell the first time it happened. Thanks God no one was behind me or I would have caused a huge accident. Other then that the system works great and I use it all the time.

Maybe the tanker trucks create a shadow in the other lane or they are wider than traditional 18 wheeler trucks.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Brittany! PM has been sent.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwayman12
My adaptive cruise doesn't like tanker trucks. If I am passing one I have deactivate the system or it will slam on the brakes. Scary as hell the first time it happened. Thanks God no one was behind me or I would have caused a huge accident. Other then that the system works great and I use it all the time.

Maybe the tanker trucks create a shadow in the other lane or they are wider than traditional 18 wheeler trucks.
Is this rare or common? Pretty expensive option. I'd hate to think that it is unreliable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Malfunctions - Scary