Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abnormal Noises After Level Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Abnormal Noises After Level Kit Install

To any and all who reply, thank you in advance!

I have a 2015 XLT 4x4 that I recently had a 2in level installed and the front end aligned. The next day, after 15 or so miles, out of nowhere the sound mud terrain tires make on smooth pavement started while cruising about 60mph and is clearly tied to speed/rotation. I immediately drove to the shop who installed it, they checked all the component and made sure everything was tight and put back and checked the alignment too. Everything looked fine.

Of course after they took it apart and put it back, it didn't make the noise when we test drove it. However, after I crossed a railroad track on my way home from the shop, the drone noise started back up.
On top of that, a crackling noise has started. This sound is tied to bumps on the road. The sound is very similar the negative connection on the battery makes when removing it or tightening in and it sparks. An electrical crackling. I checked my battery and all contacts are good and non moveable by hand.

ReadyLift 2in level kit
Stock tires
Front end aligned

2 sounds
Winding sound similar to mud terrain on smooth pavement. Comes and goes.
Crackling similar to an electrical or gravel rocks in a sock sound only happens when occasionally going over bumps in the road.

Nothing like the popping cv axle sound.
Turning the wheel does not cause it either.

Anyone have a clue what is going on?

Last edited by Shelby Fore; 01-03-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Adding a question
Old 01-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

Sounds like an IWE noise same happened on my 2013.
The following users liked this post:
Shelby Fore (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

put the truck in 4wd and see if the noise stops, if it does your have a bad IWE
Shelby Fore (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 12:17 AM
On down the highway

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,090 Posts

If it is IWE, could be as simple as a loose vacuum line or as bad as my 14 fx4... 2 IWEs, a bearing and one complete hub assembly...some shops.. even read dealers have caused the issue... good luck...its not normal but does happen
Shelby Fore (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 01:07 AM

Received 291 Likes on 195 Posts

Everyone already said it, but it's probably IWE. They likely took your cv axle out of the hub when removing your strut and didn't put it back together properly. Tell them to read the Readylift instructions it clearly states how to properly remove and reinstall the axle so this doesn't happen. Or better yet, they can just loosen the lower control arms to remove the strut and not deal with the axle. This video explains the noise and the iwe

Last edited by MagNitto; 01-04-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Shelby Fore (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:24 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Like others said, most likely an IWE. I'd check all the vacuum lines going to the hubs for leaks. Put the truck in 4x4 and see if the noise stops. The above video is very good at showing the parts.
Shelby Fore (01-04-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the video, that is a consistent clicking. If it is a bad IWE, will that occur randomly while driving?

This new squeak sound has just began too...similar to this guy's. He believes it to be related to IWE. Only hear it when just starting out driving. Seems to disappear once it warms up.

Update:
Dropped it off at the local Ford dealership. Two days later they replaced both IWEs and the throttle body. Thank God for it being under warranty. Only driven it 6 or 7 miles home but will see if problem is resolved. I'm hoping the loud air noise is just breaking in the new parts. If not, then I fear it is turbo related..smh

Turn on your front defrost on high fan and that is the sound I hear. Will see in a few days if noise goes away.

Last edited by Shelby Fore; 01-11-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Truck serviced