Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 Speaker with Sub, but no sub??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 7 Speaker with Sub, but no sub??

I have an XLT 302A with 7 speaker, but no sub. I'm taking my truck in tomorrow to get my trailer break enabled in the computer and was wondering about switching speaker settings.

I've been reading that some people have used Forescan to switch speaker config to '7 speaker with sub' and saying that it sounds better than stock, even without a sub. I'm wondering if it's worth having them do it while they are already charging me. I may put the oem sub in down the road, just not sure when. But if it sounds awful, 8ill just leave it alone.

Any insight?
Old 09-27-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 204 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by stdr04
I have an XLT 302A with 7 speaker, but no sub. I'm taking my truck in tomorrow to get my trailer break enabled in the computer and was wondering about switching speaker settings.

I've been reading that some people have used Forescan to switch speaker config to '7 speaker with sub' and saying that it sounds better than stock, even without a sub. I'm wondering if it's worth having them do it while they are already charging me. I may put the oem sub in down the road, just not sure when. But if it sounds awful, 8ill just leave it alone.

Any insight?
I didn't really notice much difference (without a sub installed of course). I didn't really A/B the differences as you have to write the setting and then cycle the ignition and the radio reboots. Especially since I did this in anticipation of adding a sub.

If I had to guess, I'd guess they at most activate a cross over (perhaps internal to the head unit) that reduces bass output to the door front & rear speakers. While that would have reduced bass, it might also produce a cleaner sound (some people have reported they thought the sound quality improved even without a sub installed) as the AMP wouldn't be distorting as much with the lower end of the bass range removed (from the amplified path).

I'd suggest going for it as it saves you having to buying a capable ODB device. Once done you may as well investigate sub's for the back....it is quite an improvement! (I did not put the Kicker sub, instead I installed a AMP + SUB that 'fits' behind the seat.)
Old 09-28-2016, 02:22 AM

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by stdr04

Any insight?
gitter done, why not? its like a free upgrade
Old 09-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

I have the Sony 7 speaker system and thought I didn't have a sub. I folded up the driver side rear seat and can see the bottom of the sub near the center of the truck. I haven't checked yet to see if it actually works, but it sure doesn't seem to contribute anything to low frequency sound.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I changed this setting on my Lariat 501A without Sony sound and no sub.

When this is changed in Forscan, it will reset any sound configuration you had previously set. I typically set bass max, mid 1 below max, and treble max. I use the all passenger occupancy mode and set the speed volume adjustment to max.

Overall, the sound does seem less muddy and more bright. Forscan has options for Supercab and Supercrew with 6 or 7 speakers.

Quick Reply: 7 Speaker with Sub, but no sub??