Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5" vs 6" lift pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5" vs 6" lift pros and cons

I'm in the market to lift my 2015 F150 4x4. I'm am on the fence between a 5" and a 6" lift. I will be running 35x12.50R20 nitto trail grapplers with -12 offset 20x10 Fuel Mavericks. The questions I have are these:

Which lift requires more trimming?
Is there any way to avoid trimming the crash bars (like spreading them)?
Which offers a better ride?
How much rubbing will I get if I don't trim the crash bars?

Any help and input is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

For the most part the more money you spend typically the better the lift kit, for example: Rough Country/Zone(lower end), Fabtech/Procomp (middle), BDS/Ready Lift(high end). How I would rate them, someone correct me if you don't agree.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hard Learner
For the most part the more money you spend typically the better the lift kit, for example: Rough Country/Zone(lower end), Fabtech/Procomp (middle), BDS/Ready Lift(high end). How I would rate them, someone correct me if you don't agree.
Not that I usually don't agree that you get what you pay for, but I bought a Rough Country and it seems to be pretty good quality.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by livinfast85
Not that I usually don't agree that you get what you pay for, but I bought a Rough Country and it seems to be pretty good quality.
Not exactly what I am saying, I mean when I buy a lift kit it will be a RC lift kit, but I think that like BDS for instance will provide a little better ride quality than a RC lift. Also comes into play what shocks and whatnot you are getting as well.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

No personal experience here but with that offset, from what I've seen you will probably get minor rub at 5 and none at 6. But I guess it really just depends on the truck, some sit 1/2" higher than others and that can make or break or it.

the stage 3 trucks might help you. But the 4 has a bumper so that's different. But that red one, is basically the exact thing. I don't think they cut anything on that one? You can go to the site and look at it.

Edit: looks like the red one has a bumper up front too now, but it didn't at first. theres also a thread on here where they posted a slew of pictures and tech. You could search this section for stage 3 and find it.

As far as ride quality, it's really just in the shocks as stated. With the spacer and stock strut assembly, all going to be the same regardless of brand.

Angle of cv and tie rod would be better at lower heights (in theory), which will help it drive a little better and not wear out parts. But most these kits don't have extreme angles regardless of brand or price.

Not sure what your budget is, but a good bang for the buck setup would be one of the 4" kits, be it zone/RCX/rancho, strut spacer, and replacement 2.0 coilovers. Dial the coilovers down to the 1.5" lift area, end up with ~5.5" of lift with a nice ride quality. And run bilstein 5100s, fox, whatever in the rear.

It's a little cheaper that way than buying the BDS Coilover lift. But that's also a great way to go if you can afford it. Full length coilovers would be ideal, but if you aren't over cranking the factory replacement ones it's still pretty nice and cheaper.

The BDS is like 3200-3400 I think. This would be like ~2200 depending on what Coilover and rear shock.

Basically what stage 3 did with their 8" boss kit on the 11-14s. Just instead of cranking it up, you crank it down a little and get soft ride and nice angles.

Last edited by SilverSurfer15; 07-11-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

Should not need much trimming on the crash bars with that wheel setup. I've seen a few trucks with 20x10 with the 6" lift and they still had the crash bars intact.
The following users liked this post:
FLbornNraised (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 6 inch on mine with 22x10 -24 offset... mine rub on the crash bars a little bit when in reverse turning and also when they have a little bit of articulation, you should be fine with a -12 offset. if at all you may have very minimal rub
The following users liked this post:
FLbornNraised (07-12-2016)

Quick Reply: 5" vs 6" lift pros and cons