Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 5.0 Tuning Questions

Ok I will try to keep this as short as possible so hang in there. I currently have a 5.0 w/ 3.73's and I am running Nitto Exo Grappler 285/70r18's which are essentially 34x11.5". The truck had some real zip to it when I first got it but after the bigger tires you can feel the difference. From a dead stop the truck either prefers to stay within the 1500 RPM range or it will bump up to 2500 RPMs right away which makes for a less smooth acceleration. From what I have seen the reviews on tuners has been very positive but I like to be a devils advocate before I tinker with the truck and its computer. So my questions are as follows.

1) For those of you who have tuned your trucks in the past, did the shift points and acceleration smooth out at all? Were you running larger tires or stock?

2) Everyone always puts a disclaimer on the fact that tuning can void your warranty in case the engines damaged and I know that, but how often are vehicles damaged due to aftermarket tuners. I feel like you never hear of engines blowing up due to tuners, only the paranoia that they will. I am thinking about running 5* as they offer warranties, but I am open to others as well.

3) If manufacturers typically tune for MPG and keep the stock tune lean then how can the economy tune improve MPG even further. You would think the companies would have the trucks as tuned out as possible for EPA mpg claims.

4) I love the low gear acceleration of sport mode as it jumps and stays at the 2k rpm mark very smoothly but I don't like how it doesnt shift into 6th gear much when going nice and smooth at 50 mph. Is there a tune that fits closest to sport mode but will shift into 6th sooner than sport mode to keep mileage respectable?

5) What is the process for switching tunes? From what I have seen diesels are the only ones that can switch on the fly but is the process a PITA for gasers? Do you have to switch back to stock before you can switch tunes?

6) For those that run 93 tunes, does the increase in price/gallon justify the added benefit of power MPG? I would like to run non ethanol gas and I know the county to the west of me has that so that would be a process to fill up a bunch of gas cans. Sure I could run std 93 10% corn blend but if I am going to pay a premium for gas I want non ethanol.

7) For those that ran tunes, does it interfere with any of the sport, tow haul, 4wd, traction control modes or do those still operate the same?

8) Can I program my tire size into the tuner to reset my speedometer or do I have to add a hypertech calibrator on top of the tuner?

9) Is adding an exhaust and intake worth it or will those gains only be marginal? From what I have seen the new intake manifold that was upgraded on the 15 5.0L, would a K&N CAI do much more or is the current setup pretty much as good as it gets?

Any other info and feedback from those that tuned before would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Wis_Skier_23
Ok I will try to keep this as short as possible so hang in there. I currently have a 5.0 w/ 3.73's and I am running Nitto Exo Grappler 285/70r18's which are essentially 34x11.5". The truck had some real zip to it when I first got it but after the bigger tires you can feel the difference. From a dead stop the truck either prefers to stay within the 1500 RPM range or it will bump up to 2500 RPMs right away which makes for a less smooth acceleration. From what I have seen the reviews on tuners has been very positive but I like to be a devils advocate before I tinker with the truck and its computer. So my questions are as follows.

1) For those of you who have tuned your trucks in the past, did the shift points and acceleration smooth out at all? Were you running larger tires or stock?

With a true custom tune, you can have the shift points anywhere you want. I've had some that made acceleration rougher and some that were soother, just depends on the tuner (programmer).

2) Everyone always puts a disclaimer on the fact that tuning can void your warranty in case the engines damaged and I know that, but how often are vehicles damaged due to aftermarket tuners. I feel like you never hear of engines blowing up due to tuners, only the paranoia that they will. I am thinking about running 5* as they offer warranties, but I am open to others as well.

Not usually on N/A engines, but it is possible if the tuner doesn't know what he/she is doing.

3) If manufacturers typically tune for MPG and keep the stock tune lean then how can the economy tune improve MPG even further. You would think the companies would have the trucks as tuned out as possible for EPA mpg claims.

Manufacturers tune for all kinds of different things. Ford knows that people will use their trucks for towing and some people will beat the **** out of their trucks while not maintaining them very well. A custom tuner can be more aggressive with fueling, timing, and cam phasing to increase power and fuel economy.

4) I love the low gear acceleration of sport mode as it jumps and stays at the 2k rpm mark very smoothly but I don't like how it doesnt shift into 6th gear much when going nice and smooth at 50 mph. Is there a tune that fits closest to sport mode but will shift into 6th sooner than sport mode to keep mileage respectable?

Again, a custom tune can be made pretty much anyway you want.

5) What is the process for switching tunes? From what I have seen diesels are the only ones that can switch on the fly but is the process a PITA for gasers? Do you have to switch back to stock before you can switch tunes?

If the 15' is like the previous truck, then it will take a couple minutes with the engine off to change tunes with the programmer. You do not have to go back to stock. Some tuners may also be able to program different modes using the sport button.

6) For those that run 93 tunes, does the increase in price/gallon justify the added benefit of power MPG? I would like to run non ethanol gas and I know the county to the west of me has that so that would be a process to fill up a bunch of gas cans. Sure I could run std 93 10% corn blend but if I am going to pay a premium for gas I want non ethanol.

For me, going to a higher octane was worth it. I actually prefer ethanol and run e85 every change I have as I make considerably more power using it. I have a supercharger though. As for fuel economy, tuners can be more aggressive with higher octane fuel but whether it is worth it or not I can't tell you. How you drive is really important.

7) For those that ran tunes, does it interfere with any of the sport, tow haul, 4wd, traction control modes or do those still operate the same?

Depends on tuner.

8) Can I program my tire size into the tuner to reset my speedometer or do I have to add a hypertech calibrator on top of the tuner?

Last I heard you cannot. I believe they are still working on it and it will probably become available soon.

9) Is adding an exhaust and intake worth it or will those gains only be marginal? From what I have seen the new intake manifold that was upgraded on the 15 5.0L, would a K&N CAI do much more or is the current setup pretty much as good as it gets?

If the 15' is anything like the previous gen f150, they will not help with low end torque loss from the bigger tires.

My answers are in bold.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 AM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Any other info and feedback from those that tuned before would be greatly appreciated.
1. Shift points smoothed out through acceleration. I tuned and did tires same day, so yes, this was with bigger tires (34")

2. Don't know how many times an engine was damaged due to a tuner. Also don't know how many times an engine wasn't damaged due to a tuner but the dealership tried to say it was. If you're worried, get the warranty through 5*, I think it's $500. Small price to pay if you're doing a lot of stuff to your truck anyway.

3. They don't factory tune for just mileage. There may be a caveat to the eco tune. You get more horsepower and torque through the eco tune at about the same economy as stock. This was my experience. YMMV.

4. None of my tunes mimic Sport Mode. It's smoother shifting and more HP and torque, but nothing really changed with shift points that I can tell. The tunes don't make it hold gears longer. It allows the engine to make power without needing to stay in a lower gear/higher RPM band.

5. Don't need to switch back to stock, but for me it's about a 10 minute process to change from one tune to the other. I connect my smart phone to the tuner and select the tune I want. I have to turn the key on, then off, then on and it goes through it's little deal where it unlocks the ECM and sends the code. Chimes when it's done. I usually use this time to update MFT pics on my flash drive.

6. I can't justify paying $500 for a tuner then complaining about the cost of the gas to get the gains I wanted out of the tuner. If the cost of 93 is an issue, just run the 87 perf/tow tune. The difference between that and the 93 is in the 3500-4500 range, and then its about 15-20HP. Aside from that range they're pretty close in HP and torque.

7. Everything operates the same, except Auto Start/Stop. It's disabled on all of the tunes.

8. As of right now, SCT does not have an update to their tuners for speedometer calibration. The option is on the tuner, but it doesn't work. This update is coming "soon". If you want to wait, you'll eventually be able to. If not, you'll need the Hypertec.

9. Current set up is not as good as it gets. You will probably always get gains from intake and exhausts, providing they're not sh*t. How well you'll actually notice those gains is dependent on how you drive. You can take a base 325hp 2.7LEB, add a tune, intake, and exhaust and be over 420HP. But if you're cruising at 1500-2000RPMs all the time, who gives a sh*t? Know what I mean? Most of that power will kick in at 3500-4500RPMs. Or WOT. So unless you're flooring it often you probably won't notice much.

My disclaimer to all of this is:
1. I'm drunk
2. My information is solely my personal information and opinions, basically what I've experienced with my truck.
3. I'm not an expert like some of the armchair master mechanic/engineers around here that know every answer to every question here but can't find their oil fill cap on their own truck.
4. Best thing to do is contact 5* or Livernois and talk to their people. Yes, they are there to sell a tuner and tunes but I was given the impression they care and they're knowledgeable and can give you fact based answers to your tuning questions.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
[/B]

My answers are in bold.
Thanks for the answers. I would be looking at getting the programmed economoy or performance/tow tunes from 5 Star Tuning so it wouldn't really be a custom tune based on my axle ratio tires etc. I should have added that my bad.

Wish they had an addition so tire sizes were selectable. I can always buy a hypertech but thats just one more thing to mess with and pay for. bahh these darn forums are killing my wallet.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:16 AM
F250>F150

The good thing about the tuners eventually programming the speedometer is that you can unmarry the Hypertec from your vehicle and sell it to someone on here that has larger tires but doesn't plan on tuning.

At least recoup some of your costs.

And sorry, I didn't read that you were asking 5.0 specific questions, although I think my answers are accurate for any tuned gas vehicle.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by BoozeDaily
1. Shift points smoothed out through acceleration. I tuned and did tires same day, so yes, this was with bigger tires (34")

2. Don't know how many times an engine was damaged due to a tuner. Also don't know how many times an engine wasn't damaged due to a tuner but the dealership tried to say it was. If you're worried, get the warranty through 5*, I think it's $500. Small price to pay if you're doing a lot of stuff to your truck anyway.

3. They don't factory tune for just mileage. There may be a caveat to the eco tune. You get more horsepower and torque through the eco tune at about the same economy as stock. This was my experience. YMMV.

4. None of my tunes mimic Sport Mode. It's smoother shifting and more HP and torque, but nothing really changed with shift points that I can tell. The tunes don't make it hold gears longer. It allows the engine to make power without needing to stay in a lower gear/higher RPM band.

5. Don't need to switch back to stock, but for me it's about a 10 minute process to change from one tune to the other. I connect my smart phone to the tuner and select the tune I want. I have to turn the key on, then off, then on and it goes through it's little deal where it unlocks the ECM and sends the code. Chimes when it's done. I usually use this time to update MFT pics on my flash drive.

6. I can't justify paying $500 for a tuner then complaining about the cost of the gas to get the gains I wanted out of the tuner. If the cost of 93 is an issue, just run the 87 perf/tow tune. The difference between that and the 93 is in the 3500-4500 range, and then its about 15-20HP. Aside from that range they're pretty close in HP and torque.

7. Everything operates the same, except Auto Start/Stop. It's disabled on all of the tunes.

8. As of right now, SCT does not have an update to their tuners for speedometer calibration. The option is on the tuner, but it doesn't work. This update is coming "soon". If you want to wait, you'll eventually be able to. If not, you'll need the Hypertec.

9. Current set up is not as good as it gets. You will probably always get gains from intake and exhausts, providing they're not sh*t. How well you'll actually notice those gains is dependent on how you drive. You can take a base 325hp 2.7LEB, add a tune, intake, and exhaust and be over 420HP. But if you're cruising at 1500-2000RPMs all the time, who gives a sh*t? Know what I mean? Most of that power will kick in at 3500-4500RPMs. Or WOT. So unless you're flooring it often you probably won't notice much.

1. I'm drunk
2. My information is solely my personal information and opinions, basically what I've experienced with my truck.
3. I'm not an expert like some of the armchair master mechanic/engineers around here that know every answer to every question here but can't find their oil fill cap on their own truck.
4. Best thing to do is contact 5* or Livernois and talk to their people. Yes, they are there to sell a tuner and tunes but I was given the impression they care and they're knowledgeable and can give you fact based answers to your tuning questions.
Also thanks for the answers.

You're right you'll only see gains if you punch it WOT, however thats not really where I am looking for gains as I don't drive it like I stole it all the time only sometimes haha. I mostly am looking for better pickup driving normally to aggressively ranging between 1800-3000k RPMs from a dead stop. I only usually dip above 3500k rpms if I am merging on the freeway. Just looking to make the transition pull the truck up to speed more effortless and smooth without jerkier acceleration if that makes sense.

Ford needs to make a 5.0L TT V8 to replace the 6.2. Now that would be a badass motor I would invest in.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can take a base 325hp 2.7LEB, add a tune, intake, and exhaust and be over 420HP.
This seems suspect. Have you seen dyno sheets to back this up? If so, it's quite impressive.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:07 PM

1. I'm drunk
Damn that is quite impressive if that little engine can crank out that much more power. Would like to see the before and after dyno sheets as that is impressive.

Nice disclaimer hence the username
Old 08-18-2015, 03:22 PM
F250>F150

Originally Posted by cwm180
This seems suspect. Have you seen dyno sheets to back this up? If so, it's quite impressive.
Damn that is quite impressive if that little engine can crank out that much more power. Would like to see the before and after dyno sheets as that is impressive.

Nice disclaimer hence the username
I have seen the dyno sheet on just the 93 performance tune taking it from 325 to 390. I honestly don't think it would be that difficult to eek out another 30HP from an intake and exhaust.

I would like to prove myself right. Hell, I'd like to prove myself wrong and eat sh*t on the whole statement if its to get factual information out there.

Maybe it would have been safer to say over 400 instead of 420?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 PM

I have seen the dyno sheet on just the 93 performance tune taking it from 325 to 390. I honestly don't think it would be that difficult to eek out another 30HP from an intake and exhaust.

I would like to prove myself right. Hell, I'd like to prove myself wrong and eat sh*t on the whole statement if its to get factual information out there.

Maybe it would have been safer to say over 400 instead of 420?
Of that 390 how much was sent to the wheels out of curiosity. What kinda torque is it producing after the tune?

Quick Reply: 5.0 Tuning Questions