Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 360 degree camera a worthwhile option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is 360 degree camera a worthwhile option?

I like the idea of the 360 degree camera but it's pretty pricy being coupled with the lane assist. Any thoughts from those of you that have the technology package? I also have the same feeling about adaptive cruise...it's a great feature but not sure it's worth the expense. I appreciate any input.
The following users liked this post:
mjwheeler72 (02-02-2022)
Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

We have it in my wife's bmw x5 so i can comment.

The front camera is useless. We never use it. The two side mirror cameras however create a nice birds eye view which is great for parking within the lines especially when hugging a curb to avoid a door ding and to avoid scratching your low profile tires / wheels while doing it.

Its a nice feature for parking. I'm likely going to pass on the feature as i feel its not personally worth it to me in my vehicle. If budget wasn't of concern, get it! Now if this was for my wife on the other hand......;-)

That
Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 360 camera system

That is one option I really want. I wish Ford would offer a front camera or front sensors as a stand alone option. I would love to have this for parking.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rbakerjr
I like the idea of the 360 degree camera but it's pretty pricy being coupled with the lane assist. Any thoughts from those of you that have the technology package? I also have the same feeling about adaptive cruise...it's a great feature but not sure it's worth the expense. I appreciate any input.
I have all of the options on my 2015 Platinum.

The front camera is not as good as I was hoping but the sides and rear are good. There's nothing wrong with the front one it just doesn't help a lot. Agreed that front sensors would be more accurate than the camera.

The mirror cameras are really great. Big plus for those. They help for curbs and lines during parking and clearance issues.

Lane departure is a good feature, I'd buy it again. I appreciate that it will make steering corrections for you to keep you in the lane.

Selling point for me on the Auto Cruise Control was the collision mitigation feature. I feel that the features of the cruise bundled with the collision function make that option worth it. If it was cruise only then I wouldn't say it was worth it. I'd buy it again.

Park assist works very nicely also.

One of my favourite features is the oncoming traffic radar in the tail lights. This is a sweet feature and alerts me when I have no visibility of a vehicle. The alarm goes off and sure enough I look at which side it's coming from and a vehicle is approaching. Awesome when backing up in busy parking lots or backing onto streets.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggitydog
I have all of the options on my 2015 Platinum.

The front camera is not as good as I was hoping but the sides and rear are good. There's nothing wrong with the front one it just doesn't help a lot. Agreed that front sensors would be more accurate than the camera.

The mirror cameras are really great. Big plus for those. They help for curbs and lines during parking and clearance issues.

Lane departure is a good feature, I'd buy it again. I appreciate that it will make steering corrections for you to keep you in the lane.

Selling point for me on the Auto Cruise Control was the collision mitigation feature. I feel that the features of the cruise bundled with the collision function make that option worth it. If it was cruise only then I wouldn't say it was worth it. I'd buy it again.

Park assist works very nicely also.

One of my favourite features is the oncoming traffic radar in the tail lights. This is a sweet feature and alerts me when I have no visibility of a vehicle. The alarm goes off and sure enough I look at which side it's coming from and a vehicle is approaching. Awesome when backing up in busy parking lots or backing onto streets.
I too have all these same options on my Platinum and I second all of points made above. The blind spot monitoring is fantastic and the adaptive cruise control really is top notch. I do think the front camera could be better but it does a nice job when pulling into a parking spot as it really is difficult to tell where the front of the truck ends and the camera will show you how close you are to the bumper of the car you are pulling in on. I have yet to use Park Assist so I can't comment on that but overall the technology on this truck is fantastic. There is a reason why GM is being left in the dust by Ford, this is by far the most intelligent, best driving, most powerful fill size truck I have owned and it skates circles around anything the general is putting out.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 360 camera is awesome! When doing research on the 2015s for the past 6 months, I saw one of the highly touted features was the 360 camera. When I found out you had to pay extra for it, I was a little annoyed (I should have known). But it was definitely worth it. Useful and a wow factor for other passengers.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I've had adaptive cruise for the past 4.5 years on my MKX and I refuse to buy another new vehicle without it. That's why I've waited almost 3 years to buy a new truck! Now Ford's adaptive cruise hasn't evolved any and isn't as advanced as some other manufacturers (some can slow to a stop and then resume speed) but it works well and makes it a relative joy to drive on congested roads.

As far as the 360 camera goes, I was impressed by the clarity and 3 camera wide view when playing with it at a dealer. I'm hoping the front camera will help prevent tearing off the front air dam.
The following users liked this post:
James Godek (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I was driving around the city and pulling into spaces today using the camera a lot and one other thing about the cameras is that it took me some time to get used to them. The 360 view was a bit of sensory overload to start with so my brain didn't really convert the information right away. After a few weeks it's much better and that's where the side cameras have really started to be my favourite. Played with the front camera a bit more this morning for parking and it works but also will take more time to learn where images on the screen mean for me in reality distance wise.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the 360 cameras on my 2010 FX35 and LOVE the feature! I use it all the time and frankly have held out on a new truck because I heard Ford would be doing it. It is one of the big factors I would buy the F-150 over competitors trucks or even the 2014 model at a smoking price.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Truck Newb

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Whatever happened to getting in a vehicle, driving and paying attention? Do your side mirrors not tell you if you're in the centre of a parking spot or if a vehicle is approaching you from the side?

I'm a fan of technological advancements, but I don't like where these driving "aids" are going... They seem to be taking the responsibility away form the driver.

*** Flame Suit On ***

Quick Reply: Is 360 degree camera a worthwhile option?