Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Limited 500 mile review

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 280 Likes on 196 Posts

Default 2017 Limited 500 mile review

Well I picked up this truck about 8 days ago. I filled it up when I left the dealership with 70 miles on it. I wanted to pass along my observations so far.
I'll start with the fuel mileage. Hand calculated first tank of mixed driving was 16.1 mpg. Also noted the trip computations on Sync indicated 16.2 which was impressive to me that it was that close. My DTE was indicating 90 and the truck only held 28.5 gallons. There's apparently some extra fuel that isn't calculated in the DTE calculation. Personally I like it that way.

Next I'll discuss the 10 speed transmission. I am very pleased with that as well. I'm told it takes about 1000 miles for it to learn driving habits. I can already tell the 1-3 shift is smoother than when I picked the truck up. The throttle input obviously controls the shift patten. Typical is 1-3, 5-7, 8-9-10. With the slightest variation throttle input the will vary greatly. I hardly ever see 2nd gear used. The shifts are quick and almost indistinguishable. You'll hear the engine rpm change but feeling the shift is almost impossible. The only shift I really feel is 1-3. There's no doubt that if you take off in haste the shifts would be more noticeable. Either way I am 100% satisfied with the transmission.

In regards to the heated seats and steering wheel. I'll preface my comments with the fact that I'm in South Carolina and it has been very mild here. I am satisfied with both of these features as well. In extreme climates it might be different but I think you'd have to be below 10 degrees for that to occur.

The Sync 3 platform has been flawless also to this point. I've used the navigation several times and been satisfied with it's operation.

I've had no issues with the moonroof at this point either. The panoramic view is incredible. No leaks and or rattles yet.

My favorite feature is the adaptive cruise control. It has absolutely been flawless. I find it already changing my driving behaviors. I used to really tailgate slower cars in the left lane but now for some reason I don't seem to notice that my speed has been reduced from the set point. This is an incredible option. Along with this feature the lane keeping feature is very neat also. It takes a while to get used to and sometimes I forget to signal when changing lanes. When doing that you encounter some steering torque from the system when you change lanes. I have this setting at full alert level.

The rain sensing wipers and auto high beams also have worked very well. No complaints on this either.

The biggest thing I'm adjusting to is the automatic running boards. I tend to make several trips back and forth to the cab of the truck. It does bug me that they deploy each time the door is opened. It just takes time to get used to suppose.

I was initially concerned about the ride quality of the 22" wheel/tire setup. As you may know they come with Pirelli tires as well. This has totally been a non-issue. I am very satisfied with the ride and handling with this setup.

As you have figured out I am thoroughly pleased with this vehicle. Without a doubt it is the finest vehicle I've ever driven.

I'd happily answer any questions about any of this content or perhaps something I have not covered.

The following 4 users liked this post by srb1194:
Chris70 (02-25-2017), Jorge0826 (02-25-2017), Tim15 (02-26-2017), VectorZ (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:03 PM
2016 Lariat 5.0

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Great to hear! Congrats on the truck and hope it treats you well for years to come
Old 02-25-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice truck, where in SC are you?
Old 02-25-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice ride, I can echo your comments as I just picked up a 17 Platinum 3.5 10spd. Having come from a 16 lariat SE 3.5 6 spd, I can honestly say after my first 500km that this motor/trans combo is dialed in. It is flawless, and when you step on it, it flies but in a very refined way. No high revving gear changes or hesitation to shift. The best I can compare it to was like driving my dad's Lexus, refined power. A few things I have noticed from the 16. There is more turbo noise, especially when you come onto the gas at highway speed, not a negative at all... just different, I like it. When you come onto the gas, there is a much deeper roar from the motor, it sounds great actually. The auto start/stop takes a bit of getting used to. In other cars I have driven that have it, I did not like it, on the 17 it seems not too bad, but I would prefer it off. I have noticed in Sport mode it does not engage, and when the headlights are on as well...beats me but I noticed at a few stops the motor stayed on ad that is when I realized what was going on. Really like the adaptive cruise as well. All in all it is a great truck but the engine/trans combo takes it to another level in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice write up! Do the '17s come with the ACC that will slow to a stop and then resume?
Old 02-25-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 PM

Thanks! It'll take you down to about 15 mph but not all the way to a stop.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:03 PM

I had forgotten about the auto stop. I'm not a fan of the system but it works well and is somewhat seamless. I just don't like starting and stopping engines unless more than 5 minutes will elapse. I usually just turn it off or modulate brake pressure to deactivate it.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by VectorZ
Nice write up! Do the '17s come with the ACC that will slow to a stop and then resume?

No, but the new 2018's DO! They will bring you to a full stop and then resume again without you ever touching the brake or gas--crazy I say
Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 PM

That's just not something I was willing to wait for. I've been waiting since 15. First it was the Sync upgrade and then it was the 10 speed. I'm well pleased with my choice. It's hard enough to let it take you down to 15.