Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F150 XL 4x4 Wheel, Tire, Gear, Leveling kit and Headlight stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2015 F150 XL 4x4 Wheel, Tire, Gear, Leveling kit and Headlight stuff

Hey Y'all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks now reading up on other setups and experiences and it's helped me narrow down what I need to do to my truck to get it where I want it.

I still have a few things I'm not 100% sure about so I figured I would post my intentions to hear some opinions from more experienced, wiser users.

My Truck:

2015 F150 XL
4x4 Supercab Tuxedo Black
Vinyl floor and seats (I prefer this to carpet/fabric)
Equipment Group 101A
3.5L V6 Flex Fuel Engine
3.73 Electronic lock rear axle
Trailer tow package
XL Sport appearance package
17" Silver painted aluminum wheels
265/70R17 OWL all terrain tires

So far I've added the following aftermarket tweaks:

5% tint on back windows, 25% tint on front windows, no tint on windshield.

Weathertech bug shield.

Husky Liners for front and back.

Drop-in bedliner.

Removed "Sport 4x4" stickers from the bed.

6 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

I would like to also add the following:

1 - Head and taillight tinting by Lamin-X (or possibly swap out OEM lights with aftermarket for a stronger light source and a better visual appearance)

2 - 2.5" Leveling kit

3 - New black wheels and a more aggressive tire. Will need to add new gearing and have dealer re-program speedometer as required.

4 - New audio system. I already had a consultation with the audio dealer/installer and have a firm quote so I'm 100% positive about what I need to do with this upgrade.

My questions about the first 3 above are as follows:

1 - Headlights. The Lamin-X install technician said he could NOT put the Lamin-X on my headlights due to the fact that my headlights have some kind of large ridge in the center of them and are thus not smooth and will not allow the Lamin-X film to properly adhere to the surface. Apparently there are 2 kinds of headlight housings: 1 with the bump/ridge in the center and 1 that is smooth. Does anyone else know anything about this? Is there a way to have the dealer swap these out for an OEM headlight this does not have the bump/ridge in the center? Would I be better off paying for something like the Raptor Retrofit aftermarket headlights?

2 - 2.5" Leveling Kit. I don't really need a lift kit as I only really want 17" rims and up to 35" tires. After reading the Leveling Kits FAQ I've come to the conclusion that I should get spacers. I'd really like to get Bilstein shocks but unfortunately they don't make any for my particular truck - so spacers it is. After some more research I'm thinking of going with the Auto Spring 2014-2016 Ford F150 2-1/2" inch complete leveling/lift kit. I'm probably going to have the dealership install it and then perform the alignment. Auto Spring claims "This kit WILL NOT change your factory soft ride at all." Does anyone else have this type of of Auto Spring level kit? How do you like it? Does it ride well? Have you experienced any problems or issues?

3 - New Wheels and Tires. Looking to get some 17" black fuel wheels and 35" tires. What I'm wondering is: with a 2015 XL 4x4 and a 2.5" level what kind of wheel/tire and offset/spacing combo would I need to avoid any kind of rubbing (even with 4WD and locking engaged)? Also, if the new setup causes the tires to stick out a bit due to offset, is there any damage that this will cause or will it wear out certain components faster than the stock setup? And finally, in addition to putting on aftermarket rims and bigger tires I will need to have the dealership re-calibrate the speedometer and install new gears, correct? Am I missing any other important work that should be performed when moving from a stock tire/wheel setup to an aftermarket setup with bigger tires and offset wheels?

Keep in mind that I live in the mountains and will use this truck as a daily driver and that I'll be doing a lot of highway driving, light off-roading, dirt/muddy road driving, driving narrow roads with sharp turns, etc. Nothing too extreme but certainly more than what someone would be doing in a typical suburban subdivision. The 2.5" Level and new wheels and tires are mainly for looks but also to help improve driving ability and clearance beyond what the factory setup and OEM tires allows for. EDIT: also wanted to add that I won't be doing any towing but will haul some light materials in the bed (musical equipment, furniture, etc. Nothing too heavy).

Thanks for reading all the way through. This forum has been a valuable resource for me and I hope to be able to give back after I spend some more time learning and tweaking my new truck.

Last edited by MTNS; 11-10-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 72 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm going to chime in on the level/wheels/tire subject:

I talked to a guy with a CREW CAB ( so he has the crash bars ) and runs a 2.5" level with a 17x9 -12mm offset wheel with 35x12.5x17 tires. he had to modify the crash bars and trim some plastic.

You and I DO NOT have crash bars on our Supercabs, so worst case scenario, with a -12mm offset wheel (which seems to be very common with most of Fuels 17" wheels) we would have to trim some plastic. it'll stick the tires out a good 2-2.5" I think.

If you found some wheels with a less aggressive offset, there still would be some minor trimming I imagine (with 35 inch tires).

I basically am going for the same set up. no one has really done it on these super cabs (2.5" level, 35s, offset wheels) so i plan on being the guinea pig. after i close on this house i'll pull the trigger. so it's hard to say how it'll work. but i do think it's possible for sure.

i do anticipate some rubbing if you were flexing offroad or making a really tight turn in reverse, depending on how much you trim.

as far as the speedo, it will be off. i'm not sure about the dealing recalibrating..they will charge you if they do it.

and you do not have to re-gear...actually it's expensive. you would have to do both front and rear differentials. you have 3.73, which is the best gear offering to have with larger tires.

Last edited by gonefishin776; 11-10-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:43 PM

I can deal with trimming some plastic provided there are no major issues that will come from doing so.

Originally Posted by gonefishin776
and you do not have to re-gear...actually it's expensive. you would have to do both front and rear differentials. you have 3.73, which is the best gear offering to have with larger tires.
Really? I was under the impression that they would need to be changed as a matter of course. Guess I'll need to read up some more on this so I fully understand the ins and outs.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by MTNS
I can deal with trimming some plastic provided there are no major issues that will come from doing so.

Really? I was under the impression that they would need to be changed as a matter of course. Guess I'll need to read up some more on this so I fully understand the ins and outs.
I'm in the same boat as you. Some trimming i'm okay with. the good thing is we don't have the crash bars to worry about.

you are good to go with the gears you have for 35s. You will feel it, for sure, but it won't be horrible. maybe ~2mpg loss give or take.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:51 PM

here is the truck i was talking about. the guy has a 2.5" level 17x9 with 35x12.5x17 tires -12mm offset wheels. The exact look i'm going for.

Name:  level%20wheels%20tires_zpsyu4mdwax.png
Views: 6469
Size:  949.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
MTNS (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 PM

you are good to go with the gears you have for 35s. You will feel it, for sure, but it won't be horrible. maybe ~2mpg loss give or take.
OK, the MPG loss isn't too bad but is there any other wear and tear that will occur if I don't re-gear? Will it wear down the engine, axle, transmission or other components faster than a stock setup?

I just want to ensure that I'm not going to cause any premature failure of any major components.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 PM

here is the truck i was talking about. the guy has a 2.5" level 17x9 with 35x12.5x17 tires -12mm offset wheels. The exact look i'm going for.

Yup, perfect!

Do you know what brand of wheels and tires he is using?

Last edited by MTNS; 11-10-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MTNS
Yup, perfect!

Do you know what brand of wheels and tires he is using?
In my opinion you will be putting minimal extra straight on any components. Plenty of people run these set ups on their trucks with no issues. the level is the only thing people suggest will add some strain to the front end components over extended periods of time. never stopped me from leveling all my trucks.

looks like fuel wheels (octanes maybe?) and nitto trail grapplers

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 XL 4x4 Wheel, Tire, Gear, Leveling kit and Headlight stuff