Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F150 - rear end leaking 5.5k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2015 F150 - rear end leaking 5.5k miles

2015 Ford F150 Platinum

Rear end is seeping, close to leaking. Pics taken 2015-10-22. It is worse now.

Dealer is trying to argue if it is a seep or a leak. It doesn't matter, the truck has 5500 miles and it is leaking. Fix the damn thing and quit trying to make it an arguement over is it not working or not.

From the looks of the seal, it looks like the seal is really cheap material. It may also be over-torqued, but that may be 100% the fault of the material.

Check under your trucks! I first noticed this when I went to check on my spare tire pressure a few days before these pics were taken, and the spots were only the size of a quarter then. They are growing fast.

rear end seep/leak left side from rear - two spots easily seen

rear end seep/leak right side from rear - one spot, slightly hard to see (not leaking nearly as bad)
The following users liked this post:
Wisconsin Hillbilly (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 01:17 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Emonk
2015 Ford F150 Platinum

Rear end is seeping, close to leaking. Pics taken 2015-10-22. It is worse now.

Dealer is trying to argue if it is a seep or a leak. It doesn't matter, the truck has 5500 miles and it is leaking. Fix the damn thing and quit trying to make it an arguement over is it not working or not.

From the looks of the seal, it looks like the seal is really cheap material. It may also be over-torqued, but that may be 100% the fault of the material.

Check under your trucks! I first noticed this when I went to check on my spare tire pressure a few days before these pics were taken, and the spots were only the size of a quarter then. They are growing fast.

rear end seep/leak left side from rear - two spots easily seen

rear end seep/leak right side from rear - one spot, slightly hard to see (not leaking nearly as bad)
I don't see this being a major issue. The dealership is just being cheap. Trying to weasel out of a few bucks until later. Monitor it and see. Could be a bad gasket or (unlikely) warped mating surfaces.
If it continues to happen after the current gasket is replaced look into a gasket making product. All we use for our rear diffs and NEVER had issues.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 AM

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine is leaking too. 5.0 w/ 3.73 rear end. 3600 miles.

I was incredulous at first when I put it on the lift. I cleaned it and said "it must have been something I drove over!"

But alas, a few days later the oil stains were all back. Mostly out of the driver side of the diff cover.

I called my dealership. They said they couldn't diagnose/service it on a Saturday, as their only qualified techs work on weekdays. I was told I would need a rent-a-car and to leave it for a few days. I said "no big deal, I'll just remove the cover and fix it myself" He said they would be able to tell I had done that and not warranty any future issues I had with my axles.

Needless to say, I'm initially disenchanted with this being the first "under warranty" vehicle I've owned. I'm sure when I blow then engine at 27K I'll be glad I have it though
Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 AM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

Is it actually dripping on the ground? I dont think there is an actually gasket there. It is usually just an rtv silicon sealant. That is surprising that the dealership doesn't want to mess with it because that is easy warranty work for them. 15 min job to remove the cover, apply rtv, re torque cover and refill with fluid. I guess they just don't want to deal with submitting a warranty claim to Ford for such a small job is my guess.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Like the D12 song, **** Can Happen
dyeguy1212 (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 02:38 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by WTF150
Is it actually dripping on the ground? I dont think there is an actually gasket there. It is usually just an rtv silicon sealant. That is surprising that the dealership doesn't want to mess with it because that is easy warranty work for them. 15 min job to remove the cover, apply rtv, re torque cover and refill with fluid. I guess they just don't want to deal with submitting a warranty claim to Ford for such a small job is my guess.
Usually? No, most axle's come with a gasket, unless Ford uses silicone. GM doesn't.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

To my knowledge (at least from 1997 to 2005 when I worked in the trade), Ford has never used a gasket for differential covers. Good old RTV silicone. Every dealer is different in terms of what they want to warranty. It usually needs to be a drip to be repaired, but its obvious its heavily seeping, on the verge of a drip. Just fix it and keep the customer happy. Warranty has changed so much, even when I was in the trade. It was usually a big no-no to upsell warranty repairs on retail oil change inspections or semi-annual inspections. "Do not fix unless the customer complains about it". For those of you that know the flat rate system, especially when it is slow, all seeps and sweats turn into drips in the mind of the tech. trying to make 8hrs for the day.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:45 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Common problem for the f150. Every one of mine has done this from new. Once it drips, i take it in and the fix it. Also fixed it myself twice as the dealer did a **** job once and first truck was out of warranty. Easy fix. No gasket but you need to thoroughly clean mating surfaces when resealing. Also use friction modifier if you have ltd slip.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:46 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Oh, op- try another dealer as yours looks like it's close to dripping.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
Like the D12 song, **** Can Happen

Amazed someone (especially someone from BC) just quoted that. Nicely done.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 - rear end leaking 5.5k miles