Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 6" Rancho Lift front end issue, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2015 6" Rancho Lift front end issue, need help

I just installed a 6" Rancho lift kit on my 2015 f150 and I need a little help figuring out what's going on.
This is my first 6" lift, and I have a question about how the front end feels while driving it. I'm not sure if this is an alignment issue, or lift kit fitment issue or what.
Problem: I noticed whenever I am driving at any noticeable speed, and I go down a dip in the road or something that will cause the suspension to articulate up, the front end feels like it's dragging. Like if the suspension articulation is causing wheel camber or toe to change which makes the tires scrub. On the bottom of the dip in the road, when the suspension is compressed, it sounds like more tire noise and drag that wants to slow the truck down just a little bit while it's "bouncing". I also noticed the same noise while braking when the front end dips forward.

Does anyone else with a 6" lift have this sort of issue or know how I can start trouble shooting?
I'm going to get some footage of driving to see what exactly is going on.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

Has the alignment been done yet?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Good lookin' truck. Hope you get it sorted.
The following users liked this post:
Ryguy1188 (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jhunt47
Has the alignment been done yet?
Yeah, it has been aligned already but it was done at a collision center with limited exposure to lift kits. I'm debating if I should take it to an off road specific shop for alignment.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryguy1188
Yeah, it has been aligned already but it was done at a collision center with limited exposure to lift kits. I'm debating if I should take it to an off road specific shop for alignment.
Start there.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

It may be your ABS kicking in. Try holding down the traction off button for 5 seconds, then try to replicate the noise.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Theres really no magic with aligning a lifted vehicle. On modern day IFS trucks, the lifts usually follow factory spec for alignment. If it doesn't, the lift should come with alignment specs. Either way, the tech doing the alignment is getting the specs from somewhere. They should be able to align it to spec.
__________________________________________________ __

edit: It literally says aligns to factory specs right here:

http://www.gorancho.com/products/sus...-rs66501b.html

Typically what you get with "an offroad alignment shop" is a higher price.

Now, there is one other factor.... the tech could be incompetent. You are more likely to get a competent tech at a nicer shop, aka the offroad alignment shop.

my .02 on alignments.

It sounds to me like you have a shock/strut issue. Is it possible your struts were disassembled during install (for some kind of spacer) and were not put back together correctly?

Last edited by SilverSurfer15; 06-22-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer15
Theres really no magic with aligning a lifted vehicle. On modern day IFS trucks, the lifts usually follow factory spec for alignment. If it doesn't, the lift should come with alignment specs. Either way, the tech doing the alignment is getting the specs from somewhere. They should be able to align it to spec.

edit: It literally says aligns to factory specs right here:

http://www.gorancho.com/products/sus...-rs66501b.html

Typically what you get with "an offroad alignment shop" is a higher price.

Now, there is one other factor.... the tech could be incompetent. You are more likely to get a competent tech at a nicer shop, aka the offroad alignment shop.

my .02 on alignments.

It sounds to me like you have a shock/strut issue. Is it possible your struts were disassembled during install (for some kind of spacer) and were not put back together correctly?
Good points. The shock/strut was only touched to put a spacer between the shock/strut assembly and the frame mount. Nothing really complicated with it. I did notice that when I was installing the strut back into the lower control arm (LCA), that I did have to flex the strut inward a little bit to get the lower bolts to align into the holes of the LCA. Then later on I noticed the strut has a decently sized crack up the plastic dirt guard covering the strut. But it doesn't look like it was in a bind or anything.

I'm just thinking that the wheel isn't moving properly up and down when the suspension compresses, and that it's moving more like an arc. Or possibly maybe the front end toe changes when it's compressed. Which would explain why it feels like it's dragging.

I noticed another thing yesterday, and that I get random popping sounds. It seems to happen on like bumps in the cement with a slight turn on the wheel. Sometimes it even feels like the steering wheel changes which way is straight after some of the pops. I've heard of some people having issues with the LCA not being aligned properly, which puts it in a bind casing the pop sound.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryguy1188
I noticed another thing yesterday, and that I get random popping sounds. It seems to happen on like bumps in the cement with a slight turn on the wheel. Sometimes it even feels like the steering wheel changes which way is straight after some of the pops. I've heard of some people having issues with the LCA not being aligned properly, which puts it in a bind casing the pop sound.
The torque on the camber bolts needs to be checked, and re torqued to 240 ft pounds. Use blue loctite. The bolts that attach the subframe to the body should be at 258 ft pounds.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

interesting... that sucks though, let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: 2015 6" Rancho Lift front end issue, need help