Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7L F150 engine blew up

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.7L F150 engine blew up

I have new F150 with a 2.7 engine that blew up, valves drop down and hit the piston and then the rod went through the side of the block. There was metal shavings all over and ford will only give a long block to repair it. This is the second F150 I have had in 3 months that I have had problems with. The first one had steering issues and when u hooked it to a 6000lb camper it was all over the road (6600 miles). The truck that blew the engine only had 2300 miles on it. I have bought many ford products and I felt ford should of replaced this truck, but they said they would not and all they have to do is repair it. We have a business where we have all fords, we have 3 2013 f150, and 2 of the three have had problems with batteries going dead all the time, we have put up with this even though ford does not have a cure for this problem. I guess ford has a right not to replace the truck but I have the right to never buy a ford again. We have owned 5 ecoboost F150 and 4 of the 5 have given use problems from battery issues to blown engine to backfiring and ruining parts in the exhaust system, With that being said we also owned a ford f150 with a 5.0 in it and never had any problems. We only run our trucks to 65000 to 70000 miles before we trade them. Ford customer service don't care how long you been a customer of theirs they have set policy and they follow them. We have never owned anything but fords for the 53 years we have been in business but we just traded a f150 off for a new Chevy Silverado. Our local ford dealer has been great to deal with, but he can only do so much if ford don't back him.
The following users liked this post:
westdraw (02-05-2018)
Old 02-18-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ajax09
I have new F150 with a 2.7 engine that blew up, valves drop down and hit the piston and then the rod went through the side of the block. There was metal shavings all over and ford will only give a long block to repair it. This is the second F150 I have had in 3 months that I have had problems with. The first one had steering issues and when u hooked it to a 6000lb camper it was all over the road (6600 miles). The truck that blew the engine only had 2300 miles on it. I have bought many ford products and I felt ford should of replaced this truck, but they said they would not and all they have to do is repair it. We have a business where we have all fords, we have 3 2013 f150, and 2 of the three have had problems with batteries going dead all the time, we have put up with this even though ford does not have a cure for this problem. I guess ford has a right not to replace the truck but I have the right to never buy a ford again. We have owned 5 ecoboost F150 and 4 of the 5 have given use problems from battery issues to blown engine to backfiring and ruining parts in the exhaust system, With that being said we also owned a ford f150 with a 5.0 in it and never had any problems. We only run our trucks to 65000 to 70000 miles before we trade them. Ford customer service don't care how long you been a customer of theirs they have set policy and they follow them. We have never owned anything but fords for the 53 years we have been in business but we just traded a f150 off for a new Chevy Silverado. Our local ford dealer has been great to deal with, but he can only do so much if ford don't back him.
This is not good news to hear and sorry you have so many problems but this site is surrounded by thousands of owners with no problems. I love Ford trucks but if I bought 5 vehicles and 4 of them had so many problems you felt the need to switch brands and post your experiejce on a Ford F-150 site I would be right behind you. You have some terrible odds going for you.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 216 Likes on 145 Posts

That does suck for sure! Sorry to hear. I think it's pretty standard for warranty to supply a new long block. They would never even consider replacing the truck. I was a tech at a Mercedes Benz dealer and replaced my share of engines under warranty. Sadly it happens everywhere
Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems. It makes no sense to replace a truck for a failed engine. If the dealership cannot find and fix a battery drain it sounds like you need to change dealerships/mechanics not vehicle brands.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Do they know what caused the failure?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 PM

You cannot blame the dealer for a engine blowing up or batteries going dead when ford does not even have a answer on how to stop the 2013 f150 from doing it.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Just let them fix the truck,if it gives you more trouble then get a 5.0 again. They all have issues period. Dodges eco oil burner has had all kinds of engine issues. Gm has the timing chain issues for years and has not fixed that one, some of there new suvs and trucks have the vibration issue. They told NHTSA that they can not figure what's happening. My 1998 f150 was perfect compared to my 2012 f150, but I'm not going to another brand. First year issues have been a pain for current owners. Hopefully ford will fix these things. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 PM

They do not know what caused it yet, trucks been down for almost 3 weeks.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 254 Likes on 106 Posts

You do realize a long block is an entire new engine, less intake & accessories that get swapped over. If you've had issues with 4 out of 5 EcoBoost, why are you still buying them. Obviously your luck doesn't work with EcoBoost. I woulda learned my lesson after the second one....I woulda chalked the first one up to bad luck, after the second one I woulda called it quits & bought a Tundra.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sticker500
This is not good news to hear and sorry you have so many problems but this site is surrounded by thousands of owners with no problems. I love Ford trucks but if I bought 5 vehicles and 4 of them had so many problems you felt the need to switch brands and post your experiejce on a Ford F-150 site I would be right behind you. You have some terrible odds going for you.
I'm a Ford fan for life, at least for now, but I think you are wrong in saying there are thousands of owners with no issues. Considering this is the 2015 sub-thread, most of us owners have had at least one issue, whether it is big or small is another thing. Most of us understand though that it's what happens with first year models and are generally fine with it if Ford can actually fix it within a reasonable amount of time.

Quick Reply: 2.7L F150 engine blew up