Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7EB vs EcoDiesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.7EB vs EcoDiesel

Anyone extensively test drive these and want to express their thoughts? I currently have a 2011 3.5EB FX4 screw and considering both. This truck has been my first ford and have pretty mixed mixed feelings about it. I love the power but mpg is mediocre with a level and 33's. Sync sucks and I've had reliability issues (constant humidity shudders, replaced intercooler/cats, timing chain/phasers, broken rearview mirror that cost $1.2k to fix, and the one time when I was stuck in 4low it kept backfiring)

I love the fact that the 2015 body is AL and 2.7 is by all accounts quick, but I am not sure that makes up for the MPG hit and potential reliability concerns.

Being in IT I would love for trucks to be standardized and to order an F150 chassis with ecodiesel drivetrain.

I know Fiat/Chrysler has issues too... my first car was a Fiat Spyder 2000 but on the opposite end I've had a CJ7 and Grand Cherokee both with the AMC 4.0 that were unstoppable.

Last edited by NamedPeril; 09-08-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 AM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

If you're lifting and putting 33" tires on the new vehicle, don't expect much better MPGs from the EcoDiesel over the 2.7EB.

My buddy had this exact issue. He put a 2" level and 33" tires on his new EcoDiesel after bragging about getting 29MPGs. It quickly dropped and became sluggish. His words. He lost about 6 MPG and hated driving it. I don't know what the gearing is on them. Instead of removing the level and putting the stock tires back on, he traded it in and bought a 2500.

I put a level and 34" tires on my 2.7 and lost about 2MPGs. 21 lifetime through 3000 miles. Lift and level have been on for 1700 of those miles. Caveat: I also run the 87 eco tune through 5*- so not apples to apples.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by BoozeDaily
If you're lifting and putting 33" tires on the new vehicle, don't expect much better MPGs from the EcoDiesel over the 2.7EB.

My buddy had this exact issue. He put a 2" level and 33" tires on his new EcoDiesel after bragging about getting 29MPGs. It quickly dropped and became sluggish. His words. He lost about 6 MPG and hated driving it.
New Ram's come stock with 275/60-20's (33's) which is the exact same size I have on my F150, so I am a little confused why your buddy would lift 2" for that or lose 6mpg. No offense intended, but it seems dubious a 2" level with stock height tires would cause that.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:45 AM

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Think twice before buying a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel... Also my '15 Ram HEMI had chipping paint on the lower pinch welds in addition to lousy paint work. Traded it in for a '15 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 3.5L EB.

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...e-coolant.html
Old 09-08-2015, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stingray Steve
Think twice before buying a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel... Also my '15 Ram HEMI had chipping paint on the lower pinch welds in addition to lousy paint work. Traded it in for a '15 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 3.5L EB.

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...e-coolant.html
Did the paint deteriorate after your preinspection or did you not notice the flaws at first? Did the dealer not make it right or were their other reasons you traded it in? It looks like the linked thread was for a failed oil cooler which may not be a huge deal compared with the EB problems I've dealt with. What did you like better about the Lariat?

Sorry for asking so many questions... its a large purchase and sometimes hard to distinguish between fanboys and objective consumers. I really do think the F150 is better looking and like that its made out of AL... just seems like reliability has not been a Ford priority and don't want to have a repeat. The VM3.0 is also suppose to be pretty reliable and diesels in general have that reputation. I had a Mercedes 240D that was more reliable than a Timex.

Last edited by NamedPeril; 09-08-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by NamedPeril
Did the paint deteriorate after your preinspection or did you not notice the flaws at first? Did the dealer not make it right or were their other reasons you traded it in? It looks like the linked thread was for a failed oil cooler which may not be a huge deal compared with the EB problems I've dealt with. What did you like better about the Lariat?

Sorry for asking so many questions... its a large purchase and sometimes hard to distinguish between fanboys and objective consumers. I really do think the F150 is better looking and like that its made out of AL... just seems like reliability has not been ford priority and don't want to have a repeat.
I noticed it after reading a thread on a Ram forum. There was 3 places that were chipping. None were large. One spot had paint literally curling up. I just touched up the spots. I didn't want them messing with it. From experiences with other members on the forum FCA wouldn't do anything about it. On the other hand I had a '12 Ram 1500 that was flawless. The paint problem was never going to get better. When the dealer offered me $200 less than I paid for it I said it's all yours! The Ram felt heavy and ponderous while the F150 felt athletic and light on it's feet. Plus the 3.5L EB was worlds faster. The F150 is a much nicer and yes it does cost more.

Things I like better, The power, the huge sunroof, love the LED headlights/tails, BLIS, the color. Things I miss, front parking sensors and the cool head unit.

Last edited by Stingray Steve; 09-08-2015 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:32 AM

Default My old truck...

My old truck

The Ram's replacement!
Old 09-08-2015, 02:47 AM

Steve,

Thanks for your objective feedback! I will be test driving both in the next couple weeks, but it helps to know what to look out for and paint issues will be on the top of my list for the Rams. I almost feel like I was suckered in by the unrealistic EB EPA rating last time and want to do more homework this time around. I would keep my old F150 if not for the unreliability of the 3.5EB.

I will also say this forum seems way more level headed and impartial than the Ram forums which I appreciate and why I asked here.

Thanks,

NamedPeril

Last edited by NamedPeril; 09-08-2015 at 02:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stingray Steve (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 AM

Glad to help. Personally I'm partial to Ford. The Ram's serious rebates and discounting lured me in. Back in 2012 I purchased a regular cab HEMI powered 1500 Express decently optioned for about $20,000. What a bargain. Never had a problem with it. Good luck with your search.

Steve
Old 09-08-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have researched the eco-d alot. It seems like many are having oil cooler issues. This causes the oil to mix with the coolant. Some are getting new engines due to this, as the dealers cannot get the oil out of the coolant. Others are getting new coolers, and rubber lines only. Depends on the dealer.

Also there have been a number of issues with the emissions stuff on the new diesels and if you don't have issues now, if you do int he future it'll be big $ to fix properly and with the EPA cracking down on removal of diesel emissions equipment, you can remove....but how long until you get caught?

I've never owned a ford, but seriously looking at the 2.7EB. I haven't read too many issues with the 2.7 yet. Some minor oil leaks and some people with some stumbling issues, but nothing is pointing towards major issues yet.

But i think it comes down to what you like. If you like the Ford more, but it, if you like the dodge better, buy that. All brands will have problems(many eco-d owners have had 0 problems, some have had blown motors), some are worse than others, and hopefully you get a good one! Good luck in your search!

Quick Reply: 2.7EB vs EcoDiesel