Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Painting a leer shell

Old 06-27-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Painting a leer shell

(cross posted from 2009-14 forum)

Well, i was able to pick up a Leer 100XR shell, in white, reasonably cheap on CL for my Flame blue 2014 FX4 157. The shell was white so while it is sitting on the truck at the moment I knew I had to paint it. Since it won't be a all year round fixture I was toying with painting it myself although it is nearly 30 years since my rallying days since I did any painting.

Anyhoo, I was looking at the shell today to get a key code off the lock and thought, sh**, there is a chip of blue paint on the bottom rear corner of the shell. How did I manage to do that. So looked a bit closer and looked at the windows and the leer badges and saw that it had been painted and there was some overspray on them (yeah, I know I should have looked more closely when I bought it but it was filthy at the time and I priced it accordingly) .

Soooo, scratched away a little bit more at the corner and lo and behold, more blue paint, in fact blue flame!!!!! WTF????!!!! So it was blue flame from the factory and now painted white. AAAAGGHHHH!!!

So question for you painters out there. What are the chances of being able to carefully sand back the white without doing too much damage to the layer underneath? Would it be possible to then get away with one more blue top coat and a clear coat or would I be starting from scratch with primer???

Appreciate your input!!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be more costly and time consuming then just having it repainted. Besides, you don't know if there was any type of damage to the blue paint before it was painted white.

Todays paints are not like they were 30 years ago...different guns, different paint.

Unless your good at shooting metallic, and have the gun, the compressor, the sanding equipment, epoxy and 2k primers, are familiar with the newer urethanes, know about their toxicity (air supplied respirator is a must), and the list goes on and on...

Not trying to shoot you down, but, it's an entirely different world of paint now. You will be well ahead to find a shop who would be willing to do it during "down time".

Translation: Tell them your in no hurry, tell them your willing to let one of the "newer guys who needs experience" to do it, etc, all in attempt to get some better pricing. However, that is always a gamble.

If you want it as perfect as your truck paint job, then just bite the bullet and have a shop with a good reputation take care of it for you. Now is a good time of the year to have that sort of thing done. If you live in the snow belt, once winter hits, they will be busy! Best of luck with it. KD
The following users liked this post:
Scotsskier (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks KD! That is what I was looking for. I kind of expected as much but wanted to check with someone who was more current on paint technologies than me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting a leer shell