Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Paint Match

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Paint Match

I have a question for all you painting gurus (or anyone else with the experience of duplicolor). I have a YZ oxford white paint code. There is a little rust and some wearing down to the primer on my truck where the previous owner installed fender flairs and mudflaps. The rust spots are minimal, mostly where the screws rusted and it merged into the body. I'm going to be sanding the areas down and was wondering how well the duplicolor perfect match for oxford white works and how their clear coat holds up. I did a bit of research and there are mixed reviews. If you have oxford and did any touch up work or paint to match projects could you please tell me what paint you used and if it seemed to match well? Pictures of the project would be awesome. Thank you in advance!!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM

I will also add that I am looking at buying a DeVilbiss combo and repainting the whole truck next year. I may change to Performance White instead of the Oxford. I like the brightness of Performance a lot better. But if I stay with Oxford I can get away with not painting inside parts of the doors and whatnot. guess if I don't get any responses I'll just try the duplicolor and then fix it when I repaint the whole thing.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I don't know much about dupli-color. All i know is, you get what you pay for. Especially in auto paint.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by mbullock
I don't know much about dupli-color. All i know is, you get what you pay for. Especially in auto paint.
Ya I definitely agree with that. I'm going I try it since it is just temporary. I'm getting a gun soon so it'll all be sanded off then anyways. Going to paint it with something like PPG or Sherwin pretty soon. Until then though, the duplicolor will look better than wear marks. A lot of then come out with a little bit of wet sanding but there are a few down to metal.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by JaredTanner

Ya I definitely agree with that. I'm going I try it since it is just temporary. I'm getting a gun soon so it'll all be sanded off then anyways. Going to paint it with something like PPG or Sherwin pretty soon. Until then though, the duplicolor will look better than wear marks. A lot of then come out with a little bit of wet sanding but there are a few down to metal.
I use PPG at my job. We used global, then switched to EHP(waterbase). So i will always crap on cheap paint, haha!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 AM

That's why I'm glad there are people like you here. What is your hands down favorite paint? And what is the best bang for your buck paint?

Last edited by JaredTanner; 08-29-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Favorite would be the EHP. Or envirobase. Safer for you, and color matches are better because you are essentially using the same paint as most of the factories.

Best value? Hard to say. It's all expensive as hell. But I'd say PPG's bottom of the line paint, Omni. I know lots of guys that use it to do side work. I think a setup of clear is $80 vs PPG's higher lines, which can be over $300
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Awesome. Thanks for your expertise.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Just adding that when it comes to Oxford White avoid the Duplicolor clear coat, it turns yellow when it dries and won't match. Learned this the hard way, luckily on a small part.

Quick Reply: Paint Match