Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

A whole new bag of marbles, oafter 4.6 to 5.4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Did I do that?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A whole new bag of marbles, oafter 4.6 to 5.4 swap

Ok well i officially finished my 97 f150 4.6 to 2003 5.4 2v swap, did everything to the t from the swap bible http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...wap-notes.html ( it was emensly helpful)

so these are my issues now, i used the 4.6 original harness, extended some cables for the throttle body, and had to swap connector to the wire going into the block underneath the intake manifold that comes out the back of the unit, no idea what it was called, but one was female and the other was male so it didn't work with out the chop and splice.

i was only able so far to get one of the fluid heat sensors tapped into the cross over pipe before the thermostat , the black topped one sensor, ( our 11/16 tap bit the dust before we could do the final tap. since the 5.4 did not come equiped with them pre installed

so now i have everything else hooked up , except ! 1 lonely little what looks to me to be a vacuum line, has the same end as the one that goes into the fuel rail and the green one that goes just to the right of the throttle body , but now i am left with this last one that seems to want to as well go somewhere to the right side of the engine but i have not been able to track down any more ports to attach it to
so for now i have just capped it

this is my problem, the truck runs like crap, with alot more power but still like crap

it does the violent shudder / rocking, feeling like it is missing almost sort of thing.

ps this new engine only has 38,000 km on it , and everything is pretty well new on it, egr and full tb was completely cleaned vibrantly shiny before install.

any suggestions? i am thinking vacuum problem since everything else was clean and or new

thanks in advance

Last edited by ToughEnuf; 11-18-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 PM

sounds like vaccuum, probly that line. can you take a couple pics of the line, etc?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Did I do that?

will do it is pretty dark out right now to get a desent pic but i will post one tomorrow afternoon for sure, appreciate the help thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Did I do that?

ok here are the pics requested this first one shows the green vacuum tube going to the sensor right beside the throttle body ( not sure what it is called)
you can also see in the picture the vacuum line i am reffering to, its kid of tan/white in color just below the green one

second connection is a red tube that goes into the sensor or vacuum connector on the fuel rail, all of these are on the right /drivers side of engine

thirdly is the vacuum tube in question with out a home, it is tan/white in color and i can't seem to find a receptacle for it to attach to so as you can see i have it plugged

fourth, not that i think it is a problem yet but this is the 2 heat sensors , one tapped into the intake return manifold , and the other is just sitting beside , not yet tapped in

hope these help you get an idea what i am reffering to
and thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,689 Likes on 591 Posts

Whoa... Copy the IMG code, not the HTML code for the pics.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Did I do that?

realized that when i first went to post it lol, i edited it now , but thank you should be fully visable
Old 11-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Did I do that?

anyone else have any ideas where this line needs to go ? or maybe i need to have this one to the fuel rail and put the red one somewhere else? i do know the green one belongs where it is, everyone one i have seen shows a green one going to the same spot , but can't see any of the others
Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Did I do that?

ok well i found out the answer myself but i figured i would post my results for anyone else possibly running into the same issues

here is a pic of all three connects with labels green, red , and what i called tan/white they call yellow

Quick Reply: A whole new bag of marbles, oafter 4.6 to 5.4 swap