Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

whistle in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Redneck engineerin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default whistle in the morning

It is cold now here in Iowa and my truck has started whistling in the morining. I have found where it is doing it, but don't know how to solve it. On top of the motor just after the air intake system there is a metal unit where a few hoses come out of that makes a whistle/huming noise for 30 seconds or so and then stops. If I hit the gas it will stop before that. Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see you have the 4.6 in a 1997 (someone will ask). I also see that you have a CAI installed. Is the whistling coming from that or from one of the hoses you mentioned? Does it affect the performance of the engine in anyother way?

John
Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Redneck engineerin'

The motor runs fine and yes I do have a 97 4.6L. It just does it in the morning and then goes away the rest of the day. I thought it was coming from the CAI so I cleaned the filter last night, but it did it again this morning.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of cold dense air "whistling" through the CAI would be my guess. Maybe when it warms up it expands just enough to stop causing the sound. I guess you have me stumped. I'm sure one of the other members will be along to help soon.

John
Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will put money on the fact that you did not reinstall the air silencer once you put your intake on. I know I did the same thing, and my truck made the same noise.

It even tells you in the instructions with the k&n not to reinstall it, and to replace it with a piece of tubing, but you do in fact have to put it back on.

its "the peice that no one knows what the hell its for" that you are most likely missing as the k&n instructions say to toss it, but without it, you get that nice noise that you are describing.

Last edited by Ty; 12-01-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Redneck engineerin'

Ty, you are a life saver!!! I bought my truck this spring with this k&n cai and so it probably was installed the way the instructions described. Do you know if you can get the part at the parts store or am I just out of luck?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can probally get it at a junkyard for under 10 bucks.

But you will need to modify it to fit with the new intake, you need to cut the part off with the "barbs" on it in the picture so it fits back under the plastic cover.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default No Consolation:

FYI: Our '94 Lincoln TC with the 4.6L and stock intake system whistles for a while after a start on cold days; I think the condition has something to do with the throttle body, but I have not been able to dope it out.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty
I will put money on the fact that you did not reinstall the air silencer once you put your intake on. I know I did the same thing, and my truck made the same noise.

It even tells you in the instructions with the k&n not to reinstall it, and to replace it with a piece of tubing, but you do in fact have to put it back on.

its "the peice that no one knows what the hell its for" that you are most likely missing as the k&n instructions say to toss it, but without it, you get that nice noise that you are describing.

I freaken love your comments on the pic
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i get a whistling sound lately, but started only when engine was warm. now its intermittent. the whistle is in sync with the RPMs. mostly in the bottom of the gear and as the RPMs climb. It started shortly after i replaced my k&N filter, but I did not remove the "thing that no one knows what the hell its for" as I have always had a K&N. (i am gonna check for that "thing" though... any ideas?

It doesn't seem to affect power, but its annoying as hell

also, what is that piece that's caused problems since 97?

Quick Reply: whistle in the morning